Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2023, 10:50 AM   #1
Oilfan97

Thoughts on underbelly spray foam

My unit (2019 Springdale) has spray foam on the underbelly. I'd guess it was done by the dealership as the unit was basically unused when we bought it this year.

We won't be using the unit in winter, but it gets plenty cool up here so I appreciate the extra insulation. I also appreciate the extra barrier to rodents.

That being said, I'm a little concerned that the foam will make any repairs under there, extremely troublesome / expensive. Just an example, but the dump valve handles just stick out of the foam. If I'm not careful, it would probably be easy to bend/break the handle or rod....which would then be a nightmare to replace.

Any insight from people who have or have had to deal with underbelly spray foam?
Old 05-05-2023, 11:23 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Factory routinely uses spray foam on the underbelly. I remove it as needed and then use “great Foam” from Home Depot when done.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:05 PM   #3
Alpine Custom Upgrade

[QUOTE=Oilfan97;534950]My unit (2019 Springdale) has spray foam on the underbelly. I'd guess it was done by the dealership as the unit was basically unused when we bought it this year.

We won't be using the unit in winter, but it gets plenty cool up here so I appreciate the extra insulation. I also appreciate the extra barrier to rodents.

That being said, I'm a little concerned that the foam will make any repairs under there, extremely troublesome / expensive. Just an example, but the dump valve handles just stick out of the foam. If I'm not careful, it would probably be easy to bend/break the handle or rod....which would then be a nightmare to replace.

Is the spray foam you have sprayed around the openings of the lower belly liner or is it sprayed directly on the wood floor above the belly liner?
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 01:43 PM   #4
Oilfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
Is the spray foam you have sprayed around the openings of the lower belly liner or is it sprayed directly on the wood floor above the belly liner?
It's the whole exterior of the underbelly.