Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2023, 07:59 PM   #1
vampress_me

New camper shed?

Well, we got the news this spring when we picked up the camper that our indoor winter storage may not be available after next winter. Owners are thinking about renting out the space to other companies for storage instead of storing campers in there. I’ve had our Cougar and Paradigm stored here every winter since 2014, and love it. So, I’m kinda sad about losing that.

But, that has hubby and I thinking about building a building of our own versus renting a storage garage slot down there at a cost of $450/mo all year around. My requirement, at a minimum, is that it has to have a concrete floor so we can keep out mice, etc. I cannot stand the thought of mice in any of our vehicles, much less the camper. DH also wants it big enough to store my Mustang over winter, and have room for our son’s truck to park at night or in bad weather. So, we are thinking of 40’x60’ x 16’ sidewall height, with 2 overhead doors on one gable end. One door has to be at least a 12’w x 15’h (if they make 15’?) for getting the camper in and out. Camper is 101” wide x 39’ long (so say 40’ long) x 13’-5” high (based off specs, NOT measured).

What else would everyone who has a shed/ pole barn that they park in recommend that I’m not thinking of? That you found was either an “I wish” or a “oh crap” type thing?

And, I’m not going to get too bad of sticker shocker. We are guessing around $90,000 for the shell of a pole barn with concrete floor and overhead doors based off what residential construction costs are currently here since that’s what I work in everyday.

Thanks guys!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 03:21 PM   #2
Don77

Lights, lights and 30 or 50amp outlets.
I have 2 30amp outlets in my pole barn to keep boat and TT batteries happy.

Don
Old 08-17-2023, 07:32 PM   #3
markdol1

new camper shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Well, we got the news this spring when we picked up the camper that our indoor winter storage may not be available after next winter. Owners are thinking about renting out the space to other companies for storage instead of storing campers in there. I’ve had our Cougar and Paradigm stored here every winter since 2014, and love it. So, I’m kinda sad about losing that.

But, that has hubby and I thinking about building a building of our own versus renting a storage garage slot down there at a cost of $450/mo all year around. My requirement, at a minimum, is that it has to have a concrete floor so we can keep out mice, etc. I cannot stand the thought of mice in any of our vehicles, much less the camper. DH also wants it big enough to store my Mustang over winter, and have room for our son’s truck to park at night or in bad weather. So, we are thinking of 40’x60’ x 16’ sidewall height, with 2 overhead doors on one gable end. One door has to be at least a 12’w x 15’h (if they make 15’?) for getting the camper in and out. Camper is 101” wide x 39’ long (so say 40’ long) x 13’-5” high (based off specs, NOT measured).

What else would everyone who has a shed/ pole barn that they park in recommend that I’m not thinking of? That you found was either an “I wish” or a “oh crap” type thing?

And, I’m not going to get too bad of sticker shocker. We are guessing around $90,000 for the shell of a pole barn with concrete floor and overhead doors based off what residential construction costs are currently here since that’s what I work in everyday.

Thanks guys!
Hi lynette, sad to lose storage like that. You might check into Prefab steel buildings most will meet your needs and can come shipped to your specs.
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:51 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Lynette, check out your dimensions. 39' camper and 40' building will be too short. Typically pole barn dimensions are exterior dimensions I believe but irregardless, a 1' margin isn't enough space to walk around the trailer. Also confirm the trailer height and order a door with clearance to spare as any type of sloped approach or apron will raise the rear end of the trailer when entering/exiting the barn.

BTW, they make doors big enough, they even made one large enough to fit the space shuttle standing up mounted to rocket boosters.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 04:46 AM   #5
gearhead

I should have built a shelter when I retired and bought the first 5th wheel in 2008.
I still think about doing it. I have a 40ft 5th wheel and would want a 44 ft length. I would go with a 16ft high door opening to allow some maneuvering room to work on the RV roof.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 05:07 AM   #6
dutchmensport

Make sure you have enough interior space that all your slides can be extended and you still have room in your new building for everything else.
Old 08-18-2023, 06:18 AM   #7
Oilfan97

Have you considered a fabric covered building? I used to work for this company: https://www.norsemanstructures.com
Old 08-18-2023, 09:14 AM   #8
dutchmensport

Since you asked about things to consider, here's one more you need to consider for your future needs.

If you build a permanent building, make sure it's big enough to contain your NEXT RV! Yes,.... if you are an avid RV enthusiast, there WILL be a "next" RV in your future. Consider the dimensions of the largest RV available and make sure your new cover will accommodate that with all slides out. If you plan well right now, it will save you a lot of money and regret later.

Plan well right now and bear the cost right now. In the long run, it will save you a bunch if you never have to re-do or add on to the new building.

Good luck! and hope this works well for you. I'd absolutely love to have a permanent cover! But one would never fit on my property unless I tore down the existing external 4 car garage already there.
Old 08-18-2023, 10:24 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Lynette, check out your dimensions. 39' camper and 40' building will be too short. Typically pole barn dimensions are exterior dimensions I believe but irregardless, a 1' margin isn't enough space to walk around the trailer. Also confirm the trailer height and order a door with clearance to spare as any type of sloped approach or apron will raise the rear end of the trailer when entering/exiting the barn.

BTW, they make doors big enough, they even made one large enough to fit the space shuttle standing up mounted to rocket boosters.

She said they were thinking 40x60x16, I was assuming the 60 was depth for trailer length?

Lynette you didn't say anything about power to the building? If I've ever been anywhere that I didn't have it.....I needed it. Lighting and the provisions for it - obviously requiring power. Every time I go to work on mine in the barn I want more light and now have an array of LED work lamps on stands or that will sit under the trailer (I will say some folks' eyes may be better than mine...). Also, I believe the door on my barn is 12'W x 15'H. Good luck on the project.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 10:29 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
She said they were thinking 40x60x16, I was assuming the 60 was depth for trailer length?

Lynette you didn't say anything about power to the building? If I've ever been anywhere that I didn't have it.....I needed it. Lighting and the provisions for it - obviously requiring power. Every time I go to work on mine in the barn I want more light and now have an array of LED work lamps on stands or that will sit under the trailer (I will say some folks' eyes may be better than mine...). Also, I believe the door on my barn is 12'W x 15'H. Good luck on the project.
I misread that, thanks.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote