Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2023, 12:57 PM   #1
SargeW

Davis Mountains State Park

Fort Davis is the reason for the State Park. The fort was established in 1854 and many of the buildings have been restored for their historical value and can be toured. A few are fully restored complete with furnishings from the time period, and others are just the foundation from the original building. All are marked as to what they originally were.​

The Fort Davis campground is a great destination for spring and summer visits as it has the distinction of having the highest elevation of any county seat in the state of Texas (4900 feet).

We stayed in site #24 which is a crescent shaped pull through which was plenty long enough for the RV and tow vehicle. There is a lot of space between sites so neighbors are not on top of you. We paid $25 a night for the site, plus there is normally an entrance fee of $6 per adult, per day. But we chose to buy a Texas State Parks card, which was $70, as we will be staying in other Texas State parks. This waived the entrance fee, and took $12.50 off of the camp site fee. If you will be staying in other Texas parks, it is well worth the getting the card.

The RV site surface was asphalt, but was starting to degrade significantly in places. The utilities were up to date and worked well, and the water pressure was good. The sewer connection was on a bit of a raised platform and not too close to the RV pad, so bring extra sewer hose to make sure you have enough to reach. Many sites are sloped up or down hill, so blocks may be necessary depending on your site. There are bath houses for each loop, and were handicapped accessible.

Most sites have a built in metal shade structure on a raised cement pad. But forget moving the metal picnic table as it is cemented to the ground. We pulled up close enough to allow our patio awning to just about touch the shade structure, which was nice in the afternoon sun. The Fort Davis facility is a National Historic Site, so bring your National Parks pass to waive a $20 entrance fee.

One thing you won’t get much of there is cell or OTA TV signals. I used a Starlink satellite system so 100 meg download speeds were easy. My T-Mobile phone would not connect on LTE, but the VOIP worked well.

Fort Davis city is about 5 miles away and although small, has most supplies you will need. Skyline Drive is right out of the entrance of the campground, and is a steep winding road to the top of one of the surrounding hills. It provides a great 360 degree view of the surrounding area. There was cell signal at the top of Skyline Drive however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Davis 1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	43661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Davis 2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	699.8 KB
ID:	43662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Davis 3.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	763.9 KB
ID:	43663  
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 01:22 PM   #2
dutchmensport

Sounds like a great review. Why not post it on RV Life Pro Campground Reviews. Everyone who uses any of the RV Life Pro forums will see it that way if they are looking:

Click here.
Old 04-29-2023, 01:57 PM   #3
SargeW

I always do. I have 400+ reviews on the site. Some folks don't think of going there right off the bat. It gives them a little nudge.
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:17 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/
I try to review best I can. I think I nagged Janet long enough where WiFi speed tests are now part of the site along the wireless speed tests. (I like to watch TV and surf the net while camping). My reviews have close to 12,000 folks having read or something like that.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount