Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2023, 03:16 PM   #1
SCGolferJohn

Contact to expedite warranty issues

Does anyone have a contact name, email, or phone number at Keystone to query them about warranty issues that the dealer says they are rejecting or not responding to? I bought a Keystone Premier 23’ trailer 3 weeks ago, but there were 5 issues I want the dealer to fix before I take it home. I got a call today telling me that Keystone is claiming some of them are not “defects in materials or workmanship” (the pop-up outlets on the kitchen counter will not retract to level, the black paint on the front of the trailer has large grey splotches) or they are simply not responding to them (the plastic box containing the terminations of the solar charging that is attached to the frame in front is split in half). And the major issue is that the latch on the refrigerator door is missing so there is no way to prevent it from opening and swinging around while traveling - and they are not responding to that either.

Thanks,
John
SCGolferJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:39 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

There isn’t anybody on this forum associated with Keystone. Your best bet is to start here:

https://www.keystonerv.com/customer-service

There is a process that has to be followed to get warranty work approved, and it doesn’t happen overnight.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:20 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds to me like you have a problem with your dealer. Those minor things would be fixed before you got it with a good dealer. The paint issue may or may not be a big issue but your dealer should know.

Realize that Keystone depends, 100%, on the presentation of the issue by the dealer to determine if they will cover it or not; write it up wrong - no coverage, write it up right - covered. It very much depends on the service writer and their desire for it to be covered by warranty....and do the work at a reduced rate.

If it were me I would contact Keystone customer service and inquire about the denials. Ask for the documentation submitted by the dealer requesting the warranty work....you might be very surprised by what was submitted.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:30 AM   #4
dutchmensport

Far too often, attempting to get warranty work done is a real joke. That's why, some issues are simply not worth going through the hassle. Even if your dealership agreed to the warranty work, they'll ask you to bring in your camper and it will sit on their lot for weeks and weeks before they get yours in the shop to actually fix it.

RV's and the RV industry is absolutely nothing like the automobile industry. You absolutely cannot expect the same types of responses for repairs, and especially warranty repairs with an RV as you would an automobile. They both have wheels, but that's about the only thing the two industries have in common.

This is the reason everyone with any experience RVing for any length of time will say, learn how to do things yourself and fix your own camper.

I don't understand what the issue is with the paint, but the other items you addressed are all fixable by you. But yes, you'll have to pay for the replacement parts. But, you have the options: (1) Continue fighting with your dealership, which may still continue to be turned down. Your repair is not getting fixed during this time. (2) If warranty does fix it, your dealership will hold your camper hostage for weeks and weeks until they do the repair. (3) Bite the bullet, pay the price for new parts and fix them yourself. You'll have it done much quicker and you'll be off camping, instead of sitting at home brewing because the dealership is "waiting for the part to come in."
Old 03-28-2023, 05:01 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

^^^The above is unfortunately the reality of RV ownership. There are some pros and cons to it but if you have the abilities many times it is to your benefit. The other upside is that doing the repairs personally gives the owner the opportunity to become well acquainted with the workings and construction of their particular unit.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:03 AM   #6
Pull Toy

This is exactly why a “Top to bottom, front to back” pre-delivery inspection is critical before any paperwork is signed. I can almost guarantee the problems would all have been corrected immediately, and the dealer would have had to deal with the factory to get reimbursed. Once you’ve paid for it, it becomes your problem.

Sorry for your experience. Good luck,
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:24 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

From the OP's first post, it sounds like he "paid for the trailer a couple weeks ago but hasn't yet picked it up"....

If that's the situation, then the trailer is "HIS" and the dealer is "NO LONGER MOTIVATED TO OBTAIN HIS SIGNATURE ON THE BILL OF SALE"....

In other words, as soon as he signed that document, the dealership had their money and the dealer's priority shifted from "obtain the signature" to "got the signature" and his priority moved away from this buyer to obtain signatures from other potential buyers...

It sucks to become a "second rate customer" but the reality is, that's the "circular file you now find yourself in"....

As for contacting Keystone, you can do it at the "Customer Service" tab on their website: https://www.keystonerv.com/customer-service

You can "fill out the web form and wait for a reply" or you can "call them at (866) 425-4369 during normal business hours (CST)."

Keystone has a "customer warranty repayment program" and they MIGHT (note maybe) pay you to do the work yourself rather than dragging your trailer to the dealership for warranty repairs and having it "held hostage for weeks and weeks".... Ask about that program if you call Keystone.

Now, as a "final comment" If I were you, I'd use this as a "learning experience with that dealership" and I'd cease to spend my money with people who don't/won't take care of me as a "valued customer"..... Next time you start looking for a nicer, bigger, better trailer, I'd "drive right on by that dealership" !!!!! YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 05:53 PM   #8
Bearcatrp
Gone Traveling

Camping world submitted multiple requests on my 5th wheel for warranty work. After being denied every time, they gave me the number at keystone to inquire. They refused to talk to me. IF you did purchase it before getting all the issues fixed, you’re screwed! Get in line with the rest of us who got SCREWED!
Bearcatrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 06:19 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcatrp View Post
Camping world submitted multiple requests on my 5th wheel for warranty work. After being denied every time, they gave me the number at keystone to inquire. They refused to talk to me. IF you did purchase it before getting all the issues fixed, you’re screwed! Get in line with the rest of us who got SCREWED!

I've never had Keystone refuse to talk to me and Lord knows I am an intense person. Requests for warranty work were submitted? What exactly did they submit? Who submitted it? Many/most times it is the dealer that fails to submit information that's required to get a warranty approval. When a wet behind the ears service advisor writes up some gibberish and submits it...it will be refused, btdt more than once. No matter the dealership or manufacturer I've found that the owner needs to be involved if they want a satisfactory resolution.
Old 04-19-2023, 06:31 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcatrp View Post
Keystone is NOT your warranty approval center for components which were used to build your trailer. During the first year of your RV ownership, Keystone provides administrative support to file warranty claims for the owner. KEYSTONE DOES NOT WARRANTY THOSE PARTS, they only "file the paperwork for you"...

Every component manufacturer has specific requirements that must be met to honor their warranty. Lippert requires an "online form" to be completed before they will approve any chassis repairs. If the form is not completed by the dealer, Keystone can not process the claim with Lippert. They send YOUR DEALER a message to complete the form so that Lippert will approve the work. IF YOUR DEALER DOES NOT FILE THE FORM OR PROVIDE KEYSTONE THE INFORMATION TO COMPLETE THE FORM, YOUR WARRANTY WILL BE DENIED.... It's NOT Keystone, it's your dealer !!!!! The same "online form" MUST be completed to get approval to repair your Lippert axles, Lippert leveling system, Lippert slide system or Lippert "Thomas Payne" furniture.

Here is the link to the Lippert chassis form which must be completed before your dealer can repair your chassis problems using the warranty: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0004000.pdf

Furrion has the same requirements for your stove, refrigerator, vent hood or other Furrion components. And, it should be "obvious by now" that APEX Sound Systems, Legend TV's, Samsung components also have similar requirements.

Dometic has similar specific form requirements that must be met before they will provide warranty service. As an example, this is the form required by Dometic to have your refrigerator repaired/replaced. If YOUR DEALER does not fill out the form, Keystone can not process the claim and YOUR DEALER will not get paid for the work. So, Keystone sends them a message that your warranty on the refrigerator is not approved. IT IS NOT KEYSTONE THAT FAILED, IT'S YOUR DEALER !!!!!

It's real easy for the incompetent dealership to "blame Keystone" and it happens EVERY DAY. The warranty process starts with your dealership's service writer. If that person doesn't do a good job of documenting the problem AND submitting the required documents, then Keystone can not process the claim with the component manufacturer.

THAT MEANS YOUR WARRANTY REPAIRS ARE NOT APPROVED... Not by Keystone, but by your dealer who failed to do their paperwork.....

In nearly every situation where I've seen a warranty disapproval, it's because the DEALER (not Keystone) failed to complete the process....

I've had Keystone "bend over backwards to help me get things repaired" even on trailers that are out of warranty, but their hands are tied if the dealer doesn't submit the correct information so Keystone can process the claim.

Here's the Dometic warranty claim form. If it isn't submitted, your dealer WILL get a message that the warranty is not approved for repair. There is a similar form for your Dometic air conditioner, if it requires warranty repair/replacement.

Keystone gets the "uninformed blame" for a lot of issues, but in reality, they can't process what the dealerships don't provide for processing ......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DOMETIC AIR CONDITIONER WARRANTY FORM.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	43554   Click image for larger version

Name:	DOMETIC REFRIGERAOTR WARRANTY FORM.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	43555  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:43 PM   #11
firestation12

Some of the items needing repair may have occurred after the camper left the manufacturing facility. A thorough PRE-PURCHASE inspection is always recommend, to assure YOU are in the driver’s seat. You’ve received some great advice from the forum professionals.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:58 PM   #12
NH_Bulldog

I used to work for a large manufactured home dealer, and it is a very similar industry to the RV business. I ran the service department and was very good at getting warranty issues covered. What I couldn’t get covered by the manufacturer, we would handle ourselves in the interest of customer service. It is simply the right thing to do. If a dealer isn’t helping you, they are not doing their job.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 02:27 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ll give my 2 cents having been a tech for a few days and having worked at a few dealerships, and talking to factory reps.

RV ( no matter which type) is built at a factory. Depending on severity of issue it’s passed on to the dealer so the “line” can make quota. It’s cheaper to pay warranty labor rates than to stop the line.

The dealership gets the new unit and it gets checked in with a DAF ( dealer acceptance form) that is signed by driver and person doing the check-in. ANY obvious issues are noted and no argument about repair parts and labor.

Here’s where things can get hinky. A REPUTABLE dealer will do a complete PDI prior to delivery and address any and all issues. Some dealers skip this step and leave it up to the buyer.

As John stated earlier, the dealer has to file the claim, and wait for approval.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty