Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2023, 02:48 PM   #1
hlh1

Retracted Slide support any weight?

I was just watching the "RV Nerd" on You-Tube and he is saying that, in general, we should not put weight on the floor of a retracted slide because it may damage the slide or damage the floor of the slide.

Wife and I have been using the slide while retracted to have meals at rest stops for some time. We also store around 10 gallons of bottled water under one of the seats while towing and the slide is retracted. So far I don't see that we damaged anything.

After watching the video I pulled up the carpet and peeked at the floor of my single slide and the board looks kinda like carbon fiber? The floor also has a downward curve on the inward part of the floor slide that is about 1/4 inch above the TT floor. When I sit on the benches, or stand on the Slide floor, the downward curve touches the TT floor and seems so support itself.

I think it's ok to occupy my slide when it's retracted because I the floor seems pretty sturdy. Am I thinking correctly?
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:28 PM   #2
bobbecky

The slides are able to carry weight, just think about furniture and appliances that are installed in them. I think, as long as you aren't jumping around in the slide, you are not going to do any damage.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 04:04 AM   #3
hlh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
The slides are able to carry weight, just think about furniture and appliances that are installed in them. I think, as long as you aren't jumping around in the slide, you are not going to do any damage.

I'm fairly new to RV'ing and I probably worry about things that aren't a problem. I do wonder if bouncing down the road is similar to "jumping around in the slide".
Old 03-25-2023, 09:58 AM   #4
dutchmensport

This is one of those topics that falls right in line with other subjects: Can I do this or not? It falls into the same category as walking on the roof, and traveling with the RV gas refrigerator running.

There are those who say, don't walk on the slides when retracted. And then, there are those who say it's OK. The argument continues.

Actually, the best thing you can do for your specific camper is check with your local RV dealership and get their advise, "yea or nay!"

But my logical conclusion is, if you have been doing this for some time, it hasn't hurt anything. Chances are, it never will on YOUR camper. I would strongly advise though, regardless of why type of camper you have, to avoid stepping directly on that ledge when it's retracted. If you do this, I don't see where you will have problems . Still, it's best to check with the dealer or the manufacturer. I'm not an RV designer. (I'm retired now. I'm not getting paid to "think" any more!)
Old 03-25-2023, 12:43 PM   #5
hlh1

Thanks Dutch. So far I see no harm in doing what I've been doing.

I really like that comment about "not being paid to think anymore"! I retired from 40 years of IT last year and I need to use that statement anytime someone asks me a PC or network question...
Old 03-26-2023, 09:16 AM   #6
NH_Bulldog

I believe that if the slide is either full in or full out, there should be no issue at all. I would personally be a little cautious if the slide was only partially extended. There may be different considerations depending on the slide mechanism in your unit. Keystone uses one of 3 slide types depending on weight, location, and trailer configuration. Sometimes they may even use a combination of slide mechanisms on the same trailer.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 09:21 AM   #7
hlh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I believe that if the slide is either full in or full out, there should be no issue at all. I would personally be a little cautious if the slide was only partially extended. There may be different considerations depending on the slide mechanism in your unit. Keystone uses one of 3 slide types depending on weight, location, and trailer configuration. Sometimes they may even use a combination of slide mechanisms on the same trailer.

My slide is cable driven.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:21 AM   #8
Mrchange

Retracted Slide support any weight?

HlH1 - Much like stabilizers (I have the LCI 6-point for 5th wheel), I also have placed stabilizers under kitchen, living room and rear deck to support my slides when extended to relieve weigh/pressure when parked for more than a few days (especially when I'm parked for months at a time) ***See attached pictures***. Cut some 2x4's, and stapled carpet on the 2x4's to save on the slides exposed underside. Using adjustable stands to support the 2x4's and extended rooms.

Taking the weight off the slides is noticeable when the stands are removed, and slides move in smoothly.

My original slide on living room wore out and had to be replaced. Could have been attributed to the cable systems not properly adjusted over time (second owner of RV, worn slides as it was jumping during extension/retraction). If nothing else, it's a precautionary measure on my part to relive weight/pressure when fully extended. It's just part of my routine once sewer, water and power cable are laid place the stabilizers after slides are retracted. Even more stability when I have my garage door open (installed cables to hold the weight for chairs, grill, table, fishing platform, etc.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181026_181153.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	43403   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181026_181318.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	43404  
Mrchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 02:47 PM   #9
hlh1

MRChange: I could sure see the benefit of what you've done if I had a larger slide out and if we sat on the outside of it for any length of time.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:45 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Supports under a slide were only needed back when slides were “manual”, meaning you had to actually pull a handle to extend and push the handle to retract. Modern slides no matter which style you have DO NOT need external supports and can actually cause damage to the slide.

Now to the floor being supported: if the floor drops into position when extended then you shouldn’t use it when retracted. This was told to me by a factory rep back in 2014, he said the floor has no support until the leading edge sits down on the frame.

YMMV.

On edit: motorhomes install rollers on the bottom of the leading edge of the slide to support it while driving down the road and people moving around.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 05:28 PM   #11
LHaven

In our last rig (1998), DW and I used to use the dinette all the time with the slide retracted, to take breaks and eat lunch at highway rest stops. No one had ever told us not to, and it didn't create any problems – but it was a heavier duty rack and pinion slide, not the cable actuated models on my current trailer.

I have observed that when this slide is retracted, the floor lip floats high with no support, so I would not sit in the slide enroute like we used to in the last one.

If it was something I really wanted to do, I would consider trimming some pieces of 2 x 4 to fit under the unsupported lip to prevent warping the slide floor. But it's really not that important to me, so we just avoid it now.
Old 04-02-2023, 05:52 PM   #12
Wyldfire

When in floor is up and not supported. Only held in place by screws up into the sides. Sitting, walking, moving around in this state pulls the screws out of sides a little at a time. Eventually leading to floor failure and or leaks.
Old 04-02-2023, 06:26 PM   #13
Wyldfire

See your owners manual. #9 Not following can result in warranty denial:

SLIDE-OUT TIPS
BEFORE OPERATING ANY SLIDE-OUT:
1 | The RV must have a fully charged RV battery (having the shoreline
cord plugged in may NOT be enough).
2 | Turn off all unnecessary lights and 12 volt components before
extending/retracting.
3 | The RV must be leveled and stabilizer jacks extended.
4 | Make sure the room has clearance, inside and outside, to
extend/retract.
5 | Make sure water and debris are removed from the top of the
room's exterior before retracting.
6 | Avoid injury by keeping all body parts out of the way of the
slide-out.
7 | Make sure other parties are clear of the slide-out before
extending/retracting.
8 | DO NOT ride in the slide-out when extending/retracting.
9 | DO NOT step on the floor of the slide-out when the room is
retracted. The slide-out floor is not supported by the main floor
and stepping on the floor may cause structural damage to the
slide room.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 01:23 PM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldfire View Post
When in floor is up and not supported. Only held in place by screws up into the sides. Sitting, walking, moving around in this state pulls the screws out of sides a little at a time. Eventually leading to floor failure and or leaks.
I agree …i was researching slide issues myself and came across a new video of a fifth wheel where the slide floor separated from the wall and dropped because they used the slide in the retracted position..broke the screws off…they said nothing but the screws going thru the floor and up into the sidewall supports it when retracted

Tags
slide