Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2023, 09:22 AM   #1
DJ85

Cost of things

So we bought a Keystone Cougar RES 327 back in 2012 and we havent got to use it as much as well would like. In fact last couple of years my job requirerments had me working every other weekend and then the events with grandchildern. So anyway I retired last year in december and things have changed however the wife is going to be working for about anotther 5 years. We were thinking about down sizing to a smaller camper but staying with a 5th wheel. Last weekend was th ST Louis RV Travel show. Perfect chance to see what choices we had couldn;t really find a floor plan w both liked. Well needless to say sticker shock set in faster then ever Good lord who is buying these things. We are not about to pay more for a travel trailer then we bought our house. We saw one the payments were $500 dollars a month for twenty years. Thinking we will just keep what we have and make it work for now. Not trying to turn this into a gripe session the cost of living has gone up on everything. Whats everyone else doing keeping or trading?
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:41 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Lots, LOTS of considerations I would think. You retired and DW working for 5 more years - how much will you actually get to use the trailer/would it be worth it? Did you compare the quality of your 327RES to those that you looked at? I suspect to get the same quality of materials you will be looking at the premium lines which are going to be expensive. Lately prices have skyrocketed including the prices of RVs. What's on the horizon with that? Will you pay an inflated price and then the prices drop leaving you with an overpriced RV? You could go on and on but if it were me, and the trailer was in good shape, I would keep it. That size is a good one IMO for a couple. A larger, or full profile, 5th wheel offers you some opportunities for upgrades but do you need or want them? Want to pay for them? I intend for this to be our last trailer....I think. Since there are 2 of us and we've been married 55 1/2 years seems we change our minds more now than we did when we were 25-30.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:46 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You have a 2012 trailer that you haven't been able to use as much as you'd like.

Your wife won't be retiring for 5 more years. That's 2028. A lot can/will happen in those 5 years, everything from the government "outlawing" large RV's to the automobile manufacturers not making or not being allowed to make large trucks for private ownership.

If you buy a new, expensive trailer now, it will be a 5 year old trailer in 2028 and may not even be allowed into some states if towed by a diesel or a "gas guzzler"....

So, taking a "leap of faith" and buying something now that you won't be using fully until 2028, is (or can be) a very risky way to spend capital that could be better used for other purposes or for investments rather than a "RV money sinkhole" that's most likely to depreciate, not appreciate in value.

What you currently own, if in good shape, is very likely worth as much or more than you paid for it. Buying one of today's RV's at the prices they are charging, most likely won't be worth what you pay for it today when 2028 gets here.

If you were buying it today to begin full timing today, I'd say it's a potentially risky decision. Buying it today for use 5 years from now ???? Now that just doubled or tripled the risk factor, at least for me..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:08 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ85 View Post
So we bought a Keystone Cougar RES 327 back in 2012 and we havent got to use it as much as well would like. In fact last couple of years my job requirerments had me working every other weekend and then the events with grandchildern. So anyway I retired last year in december and things have changed however the wife is going to be working for about anotther 5 years. We were thinking about down sizing to a smaller camper but staying with a 5th wheel. Last weekend was th ST Louis RV Travel show. Perfect chance to see what choices we had couldn;t really find a floor plan w both liked. Well needless to say sticker shock set in faster then ever Good lord who is buying these things. We are not about to pay more for a travel trailer then we bought our house. We saw one the payments were $500 dollars a month for twenty years. Thinking we will just keep what we have and make it work for now. Not trying to turn this into a gripe session the cost of living has gone up on everything. Whats everyone else doing keeping or trading?
Since you already have a camper, you and your wife must have druthers for what the floorplan and features you want/desire. I have owned quite a few campers and the current one was purchased used a couple years ago. A 2002 Cougar 278EFS. Almost everything we wanted is there and the things that needed changing got changed to suite us. I have found that the old Cougar has been VERY reliable and well made. I paid $5000. I would personally never buy a new 5th wheel these days as I am retired and WILL NOT take on debt of any sort if it can be avoided. Is our old Cougar made better than the stuff today? I believe so. Don't be stuck on new 5th wheels, many are north of $60K. Keep in mind that if you plunk down $60K your "investment" is likely not not appreciate.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:29 PM   #5
dutchmensport

All good things to consider mentioned above. The choice is still yours. Temptation is a nasty animal, isn't it. Don't be persuaded by new camper "glitch". The old stuff will probably out last anything new being made today! Consider "function" over "aesthetics" and I think you'll be keeping your current camper a while longer.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:56 PM   #6
jasin1

maybe you could just take a look around your current rv and change things up a bit…your wife may have some ideas on colors or a new mattress…maybe a new big screen tv.
add some led lighting…get yourself a outdoor kitchen setup with a blackstone or something similar

i’ve been shopping for a new work van and i started to realize that my 9 year old ram promaster with 113k on it seems like it’s at the end of its life for me…for somebody else it’s the perfect low mileage van that they would drive another 10 years….it’s all in how you look at things
Old 02-03-2023, 02:36 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
maybe you could just take a look around your current rv and change things up a bit…your wife may have some ideas on colors or a new mattress…maybe a new big screen tv.
add some led lighting…get yourself a outdoor kitchen setup with a blackstone or something similar

i’ve been shopping for a new work van and i started to realize that my 9 year old ram promaster with 113k on it seems like it’s at the end of its life for me…for somebody else it’s the perfect low mileage van that they would drive another 10 years….it’s all in how you look at things
Perhaps the way one looks at things corresponds to their budget or perhaps some folks are cheap and don't like owing to the bank...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 03:01 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Perhaps the way one looks at things corresponds to their budget or perhaps some folks are cheap and don't like owing to the bank...
lol i should have explained it better..i’m thinking that i could get another 8-10 years out of it and really no need to get another…it’s been relatively problem free other then front struts and tires….. I just need to look at things differently
Old 02-09-2023, 05:21 PM   #9
Blueswede

Geezzz.....so glad I bought ours in 2021.....prices have truly gone thru the roof....