Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2021, 06:33 PM   #1
LeeB

2017 premier 26rbpr

Hello all! I am getting into the RV life style. I am looking at purchasing my first travel trailer and asking for advice. It is a 2017 and appears in great shape. What things should I be checking or asking questions about?. I can buy for 28,500 which includes new tires and e2 hitch. Not sure how that price reflects the market. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Is my 2019 GMC Denali 1500 6.2 enough truck for this trailer?

Thanks!
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:59 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

First let’s figure out if you have enough truck. Look at the federal label on the drivers door and make note of the GVWR. Then go to a scale with everything in the truck you would have if headed to the campground.

Take that weight and subtract it from the GVWR and that will tell you how much you can CARRY, since how much the salesperson says you can tow is pretty much useless.

Next take the GVWR of the trailer and multiply by 13% to get an estimate of the tongue weight. If it’s less than the “carry” weight your good to go. I almost forgot, add about 100 pounds to the tongue weight for a good weight distribution system.

The trailer: look it over real close, take a real good look at the roof and seals. Tell the seller you want to see everything demonstrated that it works BEFORE signing. There is a PDI checklist on this forum, and you may want to print it out and take it with you. I’m sure others will add, but i hope this gets you started.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:39 PM   #3
LeeB

Thank you for your advice. I will do what you recommended. So do you put ALL you would carry in the truck and in the trailer to go camping with to get the total weigh? Then empty weight?

Thanks again!
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:05 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

You go to the scales with the truck loaded with everything you would put in it. That weight subtracted from your truck GVWR will give you an idea how heavy tongue weight. With that info you can figure out how much trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:35 PM   #5
German Shepherd Guy

Hello LeeB. I have a 2019 26RBPR. I believe that with a 1500 you will be a little over matched by the trailer. The 6.2 is PLENTY of engine. It will PULL the trailer. What you will need to be concerned with is the capacity to carry the weight. Your door sticker will tell you how much weight you can carry. Add ALL the people, STUFF and PETS you will have IN THE truck. Add the weight of the hitch (typically 13% of the trailer weight) Add another 100lbs for your weight distribution hitch. Now subtract that from the amount your sticker in the door says you can carry. Is there any left?

Specs say that the 26RBPH is a bit over 6000 lbs, BUT they do not figure in the weight of the batteries, propane tanks, and any water you will carry. They DO NOT figure in the weight of the stuff you will put in the trailer. Specs list a tongue weight of 750lbs. (based on the EMPTY trailer) But a more realistic weight will be 1000 to 1200 lbs. So, to be safe, all the peoples weight, stuff you will carry in the truck, pets, hitch weight, plus 1200lbs should be added together and that total needs to be less than the amount that the sticker says you can carry. I am thinking, even with a well outfitted tow package on a 1500 you will be over. I could be wrong. Only you can do the figuring on what you will be towing but trust me when I say that towing over your limit will result in the tail wagging the dog and THAT is a truly scary experience.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote