Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2023, 08:33 AM   #1
grizwilson

using auxiliary propane connection

Our 5th wheel has a "South Bend" valve underneath with a quick connect. In testing it does not supply enough gas to run our blackstone griddle. No idea if this is an issue or just the nature of the valve. Help appreciated. Thanks
grizwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:34 AM   #2
grizwilson

Connection, darn auto correct
Old 03-23-2023, 09:03 AM   #3
Kojac

You will need a blackstone rv adapter, which changes the rate of gas flow! If you type in RV Blackstone adapter you can find what you need?

Name:   blackstone.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  5.0 KB
20K Reese Goosebox
Kojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:40 AM   #4
grizwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojac View Post
You will need a blackstone rv adapter, which changes the rate of gas flow! If you type in RV Blackstone adapter you can find what you need?

Attachment 43332
Well guess I do have picture figured out. Bought the hose with quick coupler. Think I found the issue, after testing on multiple devices the hose I bought, end is not releasing. Will buy another hose and bet that solves issue.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:49 AM   #5
Wyldfire

You have to remove the regulator from the blackstone since the trailer already has one. Can't have two regulators.

https://youtu.be/RbyTWe8eKNU
Old 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizwilson View Post
Connection, darn auto correct
I fixed it for you, in the future you can use the edit post function, use the “go advanced” link and you can edit the title.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:38 AM   #7
grizwilson

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	adapIMG_2857adapter.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	43333

not got the picture deal figured out yet either....
Old 03-23-2023, 11:42 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Attachment 43333

not got the picture deal figured out yet either....
The hose in the picture connects to a fixture for 1 lb screw on bottles. That means it connects to a regulator which must be removed for the on-board gas line to work.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:54 AM   #9
grizwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The hose in the picture connects to a fixture for 1 lb screw on bottles. That means it connects to a regulator which must be removed for the on-board gas line to work.
connected to a propane torch head..... no regulator...... but thanks for the reply
Old 03-23-2023, 09:50 AM   #10
Wyldfire

https://youtu.be/RbyTWe8eKNU
Old 03-23-2023, 10:06 AM   #11
grizwilson

Thanks, but I also tried a coleman stove and a propane torch head, zero gas coming so either this hose or something in the South Bend valve. Will exchange this hose, would need one to run coleman stove anyway. I normally run a "tree" so I can run multiple devices. Will post my progress.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:36 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks, but I also tried a coleman stove and a propane torch head, zero gas coming so either this hose or something in the South Bend valve. Will exchange this hose, would need one to run coleman stove anyway. I normally run a "tree" so I can run multiple devices. Will post my progress.
If your gas valve is the OEM installed by Keystone, there is an OFF/ON lever on the valve. It must be OFF to connect the hose, so unless you turned it on, there's no gas flow through the trailer valve body.

I've seen more than a few QD couplings that have "lost the lever"....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PROPANE QUICK DISCONNECT.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	43334  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:36 AM   #13
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Every time I see a thread concerning using the aux LP hookup, reminds that I want to use it and acquire the proper hardware, but then I'm quickly reminded that I have two energetic dogs that would trip over the hose and destroy my grill or griddle.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 02:24 PM   #14
dutchmensport

You will not get a Coleman gas stove to operate on the trailer gas quick connect. There is only 1 Coleman stove that will work, and unfortunately, it is not the one I purchased. The reason they don't work is because of the "double" regulator problem. So, I even tried cutting off the Coleman regulator and did some creative plumbing and was able to by-pass it. Now, only there was only 1 regulator, the trailer. Still did not work. Why? The trailer regulator is low pressure, the Coleman is High Pressure. There's not enough pressure for the normal Coleman stoves, even if the Coleman regulator is 100% bypassed.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:54 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
You will not get a Coleman gas stove to operate on the trailer gas quick connect. There is only 1 Coleman stove that will work, and unfortunately, it is not the one I purchased. The reason they don't work is because of the "double" regulator problem. So, I even tried cutting off the Coleman regulator and did some creative plumbing and was able to by-pass it. Now, only there was only 1 regulator, the trailer. Still did not work. Why? The trailer regulator is low pressure, the Coleman is High Pressure. There's not enough pressure for the normal Coleman stoves, even if the Coleman regulator is 100% bypassed.

For the OP, I have experienced the above situation with my Camp Chef 2 burner outdoor stove. It has 2 30k btu burners. I tried my outdoor QD on the trailer but the burners would never produce the output they should - it would take longer than I have patience to heat pot of water for a shrimp boil (no regulator other than RV). Pulled the 12' hose to the QD off, put the original Camp Chef regulator back on then connected to a 20lb. tank. NOW it will howl for me.

I did not pursue a solution because the use of the QD was just an attempt at simplifying my setup but not really needed. The pressure coming through the LP regulator on the RV was not enough to let it run like it should. And now, just as I wrote this, I remember putting the Marshall Excelsior 253H high output regulator on since then. It increases the output of the regulator over OE. Hmm, maybe I'll try that again when I get back.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:21 PM   #16
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
You are correct. The regulator for the trailer only goes to 11 inches of water. Very low pressure.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:00 AM   #17
grizwilson

Found a solution:

https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Propa...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 03-27-2023, 07:13 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
That is a "work around" and will solve your problem... That said, there is a small "snap shut safety valve" in each of the tank connector fittings. I'd be very, VERY concerned with leaving one side of the fitting disconnected and turning on the propane tank valve. While you may go for months or years without any issue of propane leaking, when you least expect it, that "snap shut valve" might fail and spray propane until the tank is empty.....

Just like we NEVER turn on the propane tank valve (even though that fitting prevents gas from flowing) without something connected, I'd urge the same thing with both sides of that "Y" adapter.....

As long as there's something connected to both sides, it's a great solution.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:20 AM   #19
travelin texans

Quote:
I used the same fitting, but removed one side that my grill & other appliances connected to & added a 1/4" gas valve to it then the hose coupler. I left the 25' hose with the QD on the other end connected coiled up on a hook in the propane compartment.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:48 AM   #20
grizwilson

Thanks, i agree fully, the connection will also have a quick connect coupler so double the "snap shut" similar to the one located under the trailer.

Tags
propane