Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2022, 09:00 AM   #1
Gkri

Trailer Inspection

We live in Eastern, PA and just had our first inspection for a 2021 Passport. We went to dealer where the trailer was purchased - $125.00! Sounds high compared to our vehicle inspections, what have others paid? In what state?
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:15 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First, Please define what you mean by "just had our first inspection for a 2021 Passport."...

Do you mean a "mandatory safety inspection that's linked to trailer registration" Or ?????

If you took it in and said, "Inspect my trailer and make sure it's ready for camping" the dealer may have repacked wheel bearings, sealed the roof, sanitized the water system, checked batteries and serviced the refrigerator, furnace and adjusted the brakes....

If you have a "forever warranty" and the inspection was linked to maintaining that warranty, there may be some "inspection requirement" to maintain/service that warranty. It would be defined by the "insurance company that holds the warranty policy".

To my knowledge, there is no "inspection requirement" that's ever been a part of any Keystone company mandate...

What did you ask for, who told you it needed to be done and what did the dealership actually document that they did for that $125... You might have got a "good deal" or you might have just "donated a chunk of change" to the dealership annual profit goal.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:28 AM   #3
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
First, Please define what you mean by "just had our first inspection for a 2021 Passport."...

Do you mean a "mandatory safety inspection that's linked to trailer registration" Or ?????

If you took it in and said, "Inspect my trailer and make sure it's ready for camping" the dealer may have repacked wheel bearings, sealed the roof, sanitized the water system, checked batteries and serviced the refrigerator, furnace and adjusted the brakes....

If you have a "forever warranty" and the inspection was linked to maintaining that warranty, there may be some "inspection requirement" to maintain/service that warranty. It would be defined by the "insurance company that holds the warranty policy".

To my knowledge, there is no "inspection requirement" that's ever been a part of any Keystone company mandate...

What did you ask for, who told you it needed to be done and what did the dealership actually document that they did for that $125... You might have got a "good deal" or you might have just "donated a chunk of change" to the dealership annual profit goal.....
John, PA requires trucks, automobiles, RV's, motorcycles, TT's, etc. to have an annual safety inspection. I briefly read the PA DOT info and they check for structural integrity, brake functionality, weak/soft spots in the floor, nothing loose and ready to fall off and create a road hazard. I forgot that not all states have the mandatory annual safety inspection. The dealer must have an Inspection License as well as the performing mechanic and they place a sticker in the TT window.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:22 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Cross that state off of my possible “retirement” places.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:31 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

TX has a mandatory inspection required to then register the vehicle. It must be done no more than 90 days prior to registration. For us this has posed a problem when we are on the road out of state so I just tow it with an expired registration since that is a "state" thing anyway. I believe our cost is $7 or $14; cars used to be 14 as I recall and went to 7, I'm thinking it's the same for the trailer. And nope, don't need to pay $125 a year for a guy to walk around and re-check everything I do.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:37 AM   #6
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Cross that state off of my possible “retirement” places.
Chuck - yes, PA has likely the most stringent vehicle inspection requirements in the country. It used to be every 6-months, so annually looks like a deal! I worked my way through college pumping gas and inspecting cars: brakes, exhaust, suspension, headlight aiming, tires, rust, all lights, windshield, etc. One thing you can count on - a PA car will stop (when pushing the bigger pedal to the left). I grew up with it and just accepted it as normal. I have seen cars from other states that frankly scared me to death!
Old 01-06-2022, 10:44 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
TX has a mandatory inspection required to then register the vehicle. It must be done no more than 90 days prior to registration. For us this has posed a problem when we are on the road out of state so I just tow it with an expired registration since that is a "state" thing anyway. I believe our cost is $7 or $14; cars used to be 14 as I recall and went to 7, I'm thinking it's the same for the trailer. And nope, don't need to pay $125 a year for a guy to walk around and re-check everything I do.
Mandatory inspection of campers OVER 7500 lbs I believe. My poor little Cougar has never needed to go through inspection to receive my yearly registration sticker. I also believe they get the weight from some state listing OR it is on the title; can't recall. For you rich folk who have those huge 47' fifth wheels, well, hehehehe
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:47 AM   #8
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
we just did 650 miles with an expired trailer sticker. but the fine, if caught, is $25-50 for 60 days expired, $50-100 if expired longer. They change the sticker colors to make it easy to spot expired stickers. If you are from out-of-state and your state does not require inspections, PA police can't stop you for no stickers. Come visit PA, lots to see, lots to do, and be assured our cars, trucks, etc. have good brakes and tires!
Old 01-06-2022, 10:51 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkri View Post
we just did 650 miles with an expired trailer sticker. but the fine, if caught, is $25-50 for 60 days expired, $50-100 if expired longer. They change the sticker colors to make it easy to spot expired stickers. If you are from out-of-state and your state does not require inspections, PA police can't stop you for no stickers. Come visit PA, lots to see, lots to do, and be assured our cars, trucks, etc. have good brakes and tires!
Do you have snow up where you are? No thanks....
Old 01-06-2022, 10:58 AM   #10
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Do you have snow up where you are? No thanks....
Four inches forecast for tonight. our best was just under 36" maybe 15 years back and we have a 300-foot driveway! i actually like snow, something about shoveling in the quiet of the night just feels good.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:01 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Four inches forecast for tonight. our best was just under 36" maybe 15 years back and we have a 300-foot driveway! i actually like snow, something about shoveling in the quiet of the night just feels good.
We had a bad stretch last February; got a couple feet and the temps were extremely cold for this part of the country; was without power for 5 days (no water from the well except what was in the pressure tank dribbling down the hill). Had to burn crappy cedar for the most part and a couple huge chunks of mesquite which burned the back panel in my fireplace which had to be replaced. A generator comes in handy.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:03 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Mandatory inspection of campers OVER 7500 lbs I believe. My poor little Cougar has never needed to go through inspection to receive my yearly registration sticker. I also believe they get the weight from some state listing OR it is on the title; can't recall. For you rich folk who have those huge 47' fifth wheels, well, hehehehe

Yes, until a few years back it was all of them then they raised the limit to 7/7500? lbs. I've been lobbying to get it done away with entirely but you know how that goes.....

[Quote]we just did 650 miles with an expired trailer sticker. but the fine, if caught, is $25-50 for 60 days expired, $50-100 if expired longer. They change the sticker colors to make it easy to spot expired stickers. If you are from out-of-state and your state does not require inspections, PA police can't stop you for no stickers. Come visit PA, lots to see, lots to do, and be assured our cars, trucks, etc. have good brakes and tires![Quote]

Don't know how accurate it was but my local DMV office lady told me that another state (not TX) would not cite me for an expired registration as that was a state requirement so not to worry about it. Again I don't know how accurate that is but I've been stopped in a LOT of states and no one has ever asked me for a copy of the registration. In NM they would ask for it if my vehicle was tagged in NM (but I lived in TX) but not in my TX tagged vehicles. In TX I don't even carry one, the sticker is it. Obviously the answer is to always try to keep it current.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:49 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. We love PA and camp around Lancaster and points north A LOT. Our SIL is from Springfield and our DD and their boys live in Oxford so it's only about a 45 min ride to go see them. I'm guessing the dealer charged you an hour's labor?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #14
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Welcome to the forum. We love PA and camp around Lancaster and points north A LOT. Our SIL is from Springfield and our DD and their boys live in Oxford so it's only about a 45 min ride to go see them. I'm guessing the dealer charged you an hour's labor?
The invoice just stated State Inspection $125, I suppose it might be a flat rate they use for that service. Have you tried any of the PA State Parks? We have done Hickory Run, Promised Land and Worlds End. If you have suggestions for other places in PA, i'll be happy to hear them.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:12 PM   #15
gearhead

I'm with Danny, it's either $7 or $14 in Texas. My local inspection station lady just checks my lights and asks for the money.
Pennsylvania supposedly has good trout fishing. I ran up there in the Bigfoot to try it and found Spruce Creek a flooded mudhole.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:17 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
The invoice just stated State Inspection $125, I suppose it might be a flat rate they use for that service. Have you tried any of the PA State Parks? We have done Hickory Run, Promised Land and Worlds End. If you have suggestions for other places in PA, i'll be happy to hear them.
We only do electric *& water moin. hook ups and typically full HU. AT the length of our rig the older state parks can be a problem. I can tell you some of our favorites that we visit every year.
Starlite Camping Resort https://www.starlitecampingresort.com/ fantastic view
Lake-In-Wood Camping Resort WWW.LAKEINWOODRESORT.COM
Buttonwood Campground ttps://buttonwoodcamp.com
Knoebels Amusement Park https://www.knoebels.com/stay/knoebels-park-campground CG isn't much but love the amusment park.
Country Acers Campground https://bird-in-hand.com/country-acr...m_campaign=gmb

That's a short list. There's more we visit in Gettysburg and other points north and east. Hope that helps.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:22 PM   #17
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I'm with Danny, it's either $7 or $14 in Texas. My local inspection station lady just checks my lights and asks for the money.
Pennsylvania supposedly has good trout fishing. I ran up there in the Bigfoot to try it and found Spruce Creek a flooded mudhole.
April showers can do a number on small streams. I'm in southern part of the state so we only get stocked trout, lots of reservoirs and streams get stocked in SE, PA. I hear the Loyalsock Creek near Worlds End State Park is excellent for natives.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:25 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
You likely crossed the Potomac River getting there. I've seen lots of trout fisherman around Harpers Ferry, WV. South Branch of the Potomac around Romney, Wv is supposedly good as well. Just what I've heard, not personal experience.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:27 PM   #19
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
You likely crossed the Potomac River getting there. I've seen lots of trout fisherman around Harpers Ferry, WV. South Branch of the Potomac around Romney, Wv is supposedly good as well. Just what I've heard, not personal experience.
My BIL does a lot of fly fishing in Davis, WV. There is a nice stream through Black Water Falls SP, we have a reservation there for early May.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:40 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
My BIL does a lot of fly fishing in Davis, WV. There is a nice stream through Black Water Falls SP, we have a reservation there for early May.
Beautiful area. I have relatives in Elkins, WV which is the closest "big town" (maybe 5k including the college). If you go check out the Bowden fish hatchery. Tygart Lake is nice as well near Grafton, WV. They don't have a lot of sites so the get filled early. https://wvstateparks.com/places-to-s...-lake-camping/