Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2022, 11:39 AM   #1
BobKat

Electric brake wiring

Hi Folks, I have a question about wiring my electric trailer brakes. We have a 2015 38' fiver we've lived in full time. Recently, as I drive I'll get a warning signal that the trailer brakes are disconnected. When it happens, I'll go under the rig and jiggle the trailer brake wires where they go into the axel. That usually takes care of it for a while. The gromets are gone on the entrance holes to the axel, and I believe the wiring has worn thin and when they touch metal the brakes go out.
My question is, does anyone have experience with cutting the 2 #12 wiring, pulling them out from inside the axel and rerouting them along the outside of the axel? As long as I secure the wiring to the axel well, it seems it should work.
Any thoughts?
BobKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:58 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Very common repair is to run “duplex” wire, and zip tie it to the axle tube. No need to pull the old wires.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:20 PM   #3
LHaven

If the grommet is circular, there's no shame in slicing a new grommet and installing it "around" the wiring. You can also use "liquid electrical tape" to spruce up the insulation at the entrance.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:05 PM   #4
BobKat

Thanks, that's a great idea!
BobKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:29 AM   #5
ChuckS

Considering the age of your fifth wheel (2015) when is the last time you:
1. Remove each hub and performed maintenance and checked the condition of the brake magnets and wires attached to each magnet?
2. I would also disconnect the wires on each magnet and ohm out to verify
3. Condition of the wires inside the junction box for the Pin box for good connection to the seven way cable to the truck connection

I would just have to know the overall condition from the ends of the axle first and then address the wiring to the four brakes... All are wired in parallel

And check the ground connection that each of those brake magnets are tied to for corrosion, etc

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring