Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2022, 08:23 AM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIMOMMY2 View Post
Thank goodness I'm not the only one.
This is all great information, it kinda worried me. In talking to our friend. Whom has the same truck and pulls a 40' montana, we are at the trucks max, but like he said " we will be ok pulling it with the truck we have "
Your friend as well as you have fell victim to the meaningless numbers published everywhere for trucks & rvs.
The max tow rating for any truck means nothing in the rv world. That number was arrived at by the manufacturers using low profile utility type trailers/goosenecks loaded with all the weight directly over the axles thereby considerably lowering the tongue/pin weights. RVs are NOT low profile & the majority ofthe weight is fixed so you're unable to move it directly over the axles.
RV manufacturers publish "dry weights", is weight is obtained to day it rolled out te factory door, no batteries, no propane, most likely no spare tire & no dealer added options. Meaning you nor anyone else will ever tow it anywhere near that weight.
The pertinent numbers for you are printed on tags on both your truck & your rv. The numbers for your truck are on the driver's door jamb. The yellow/white tag is the payload number you will most likely exceed the quickest. The GVWR for your rv is on the driver's side front corner of the rv. With the rv GVWR times 23% will give you an approximate pin weight for that rv subtract that from the payload posted on your truck along with 150-200lbs for the hitch & the weight of everyone/everything in/on your truck that wasn't on it when it left the factory. With this calculation you'll know where you're at on your truck with your rv. DO NOT use numbers from websites, brochures, your friends truck/rv & ABSOLUTELY nothing the rv/truck salesman may have told you, use the numbers posted on YOUR vehicles.
Once you've done these calculations I'm certain you'll find you, nor your friends, are "just fine" with your current setup, but rather "just dangerous" to you & others sharing the highways with you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:48 PM   #22
CHIMOMMY2

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Your friend as well as you have fell victim to the meaningless numbers published everywhere for trucks & rvs.
The max tow rating for any truck means nothing in the rv world. That number was arrived at by the manufacturers using low profile utility type trailers/goosenecks loaded with all the weight directly over the axles thereby considerably lowering the tongue/pin weights. RVs are NOT low profile & the majority ofthe weight is fixed so you're unable to move it directly over the axles.
RV manufacturers publish "dry weights", is weight is obtained to day it rolled out te factory door, no batteries, no propane, most likely no spare tire & no dealer added options. Meaning you nor anyone else will ever tow it anywhere near that weight.
The pertinent numbers for you are printed on tags on both your truck & your rv. The numbers for your truck are on the driver's door jamb. The yellow/white tag is the payload number you will most likely exceed the quickest. The GVWR for your rv is on the driver's side front corner of the rv. With the rv GVWR times 23% will give you an approximate pin weight for that rv subtract that from the payload posted on your truck along with 150-200lbs for the hitch & the weight of everyone/everything in/on your truck that wasn't on it when it left the factory. With this calculation you'll know where you're at on your truck with your rv. DO NOT use numbers from websites, brochures, your friends truck/rv & ABSOLUTELY nothing the rv/truck salesman may have told you, use the numbers posted on YOUR vehicles.
Once you've done these calculations I'm certain you'll find you, nor your friends, are "just fine" with your current setup, but rather "just dangerous" to you & others sharing the highways with you.
So I have purchased a 3500 dual wheel 2022 ram to pull our Fusion with, thank you all for making me see how dangerous our truck was.
Learning curve for sure! And to anyone following this, please do your research before your purchase, and DONT LISTEN to sales people! They just want or need a sale . THANK YOU for all of you guys for the information you have given me!
CHIMOMMY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:53 PM   #23
CHIMOMMY2

Have had to upgrade our truck. Thank you for your input, and info.
I am a pretty smart person, whomever fell victim to salesperson, along with how nice this Fuzion is !
Old 01-10-2022, 04:58 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Have had to upgrade our truck. Thank you for your input, and info.
I am a pretty smart person, whomever fell victim to salesperson, along with how nice this Fuzion is !

I want to congratulate you on your decision to get the larger truck....that Fuzion needed it for sure. There is so much misinformation when it comes to towing, towing capacities, tow vehicles etc. that it is VERY hard for someone not used to dealing with it - and I promise, as long as you have at least a 3/4 ton there's not a salesman, truck or RV, that's going to warn you of payload capacities. Congratulations and thanks from all the other drivers on the highway for making a very wise choice.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:59 PM   #25
CHIMOMMY2

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Thank you for your help and information!
We now are running with a dual wheel 2022 ram 3500 !!! So no worries. Fingers crossed!
Old 01-10-2022, 05:00 PM   #26
CHIMOMMY2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I want to congratulate you on your decision to get the larger truck....that Fuzion needed it for sure. There is so much misinformation when it comes to towing, towing capacities, tow vehicles etc. that it is VERY hard for someone not used to dealing with it - and I promise, as long as you have at least a 3/4 ton there's not a salesman, truck or RV, that's going to warn you of payload capacities. Congratulations and thanks from all the other drivers on the highway for making a very wise choice.
Yes indeed ! Thank you !
If I knew how to post pics after we pick the truck up I will share !
Old 01-10-2022, 07:26 PM   #27
CedarCreekWoody

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new truck!
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:45 PM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Thank you for your help and information!
We now are running with a dual wheel 2022 ram 3500 !!! So no worries. Fingers crossed!
Congratulations! Wise choice!
I think you'll be very glad in the long run!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:05 PM   #29
Gary R.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I, too, would like to offer my congrats on selecting a proper truck to tow that heavy trailer.

Enjoy you new Fusion, and travel safe!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:23 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Yes indeed ! Thank you !
If I knew how to post pics after we pick the truck up I will share !
Posting pics is easy. First, go to the bottom of the box you type in and click on advanced". This will place emojis to the right of the box and editing tools across the top. At the top click on the 📎 pareclip thats to the right of the smileyface.

That will open a box for you to "chose file". Click on the file name and then "upload". The easiest way to upload YouTube videos is to click on the "share" icon while in YouTube, then open the reply text box here, right click then "paste". Brian (Jasin1) has all but worn out the buttons for the YouTube links.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:11 AM   #31
wiredgeorge

• Place your cursor in the text window where you want the image to be displayed.
  • Another way of explaining posting pics is to click the GO ADVANCED button.
  • Below the text entering window click the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS button.
  • A new window labeled MANAGE ATTACHMENTS pops up; click the BROWSE button and a file manager window appears; just select the image you wish to post.
  • You will see this file name next to the BROWSE button. Now click the UPLOAD button and then click the CLOSE THIS WINDOW button.

Your image will appear in your post in the position you placed it in the text entering window pane.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:06 PM   #32
CHIMOMMY2

Thank you guys for your help. I think I got the screen shot of the truck we pick up in a few weeks. I hope this worked !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220111-083624_Chrome.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	37826  
Old 01-11-2022, 03:07 PM   #33
CHIMOMMY2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
  • Place your cursor in the text window where you want the image to be displayed.
  • Another way of explaining posting pics is to click the GO ADVANCED button.
  • Below the text entering window click the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS button.
  • A new window labeled MANAGE ATTACHMENTS pops up; click the BROWSE button and a file manager window appears; just select the image you wish to post.
  • You will see this file name next to the BROWSE button. Now click the UPLOAD button and then click the CLOSE THIS WINDOW button.

Your image will appear in your post in the position you placed it in the text entering window pane.
I may have got it ! Thank you ��
Old 01-11-2022, 03:13 PM   #34
CHIMOMMY2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I, too, would like to offer my congrats on selecting a proper truck to tow that heavy trailer.

Enjoy you new Fusion, and travel safe!
We came from Vancouver Wa, and rode our Harleys out in the Dry side of Or often ! Thank you, will enjoy this thing much more now !
Old 01-11-2022, 03:37 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you guys for your help. I think I got the screen shot of the truck we pick up in a few weeks. I hope this worked !

That is a great looking truck! It looks great now but wait until you latch onto that trailer.....I'm thinking your eyes will really pop open at how good it is.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:51 PM   #36
wiredgeorge

Odd they sell a "Lone Star" edition outside Texas. I guess if Ford can sell a "King Ranch" outside Texas, it is fine to sell a Lone Star outside as well. One of my previous F150s (can't recall year) was dark blue and had a green stripe across the bottom. Texas edition meant A/C, chrome wheels, fabric seats and cruise control.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:33 PM   #37
Tireman9

Quote:
Thank goodness I'm not the only one.
This is all great information, it kinda worried me. In talking to our friend. Whom has the same truck and pulls a 40' montana, we are at the trucks max, but like he said " we will be ok pulling it with the truck we have "

I hear lots of people talking about "pulling xxx# weight" but we almost never hear any mention how long it will take to stop that train at 65 mph. If you want to know the answer to that I would suggest finding a flat straight empty road and try some hard stops at 30 mph then up the speed by 5 mph.

Maybe an empty stadium parking lot would be safer location. Don't know if we ever see accidents with 5th wheel trailers caused by acceleration. Almost always the accident is caused by sway or jackknife when trying to stop.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:10 AM   #38
TahoeTumbleweed

I have the exact RV. Must of looked at least 50 before my choice. Great decision !!
TahoeTumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:26 PM   #39
CHIMOMMY2

Ram 3500 for our Fuzion

We are now perfectly ready to tow this trailer!
Wish I could figure out how to flip the pic .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220204_101917~2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	38232  
Old 02-04-2022, 09:20 PM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

Flipped pic or not that's a great looking truck! Bullhead City; had some friends that lived there many moons ago but best I remember is Laughlin NV - right across the river right?

Tags
keystone, new member