Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2022, 08:04 AM   #1
KenSC

Pre wired generator hookup

We have a 2020 Alpine that was pre wired for a generator. However I am clueless on how to use it. Hopefully my picture will attach but what I see in the front compartment is a 1000 watt inverter, a battery compartment (which I assume contains a battery), a hi-amp 150A buss, and a red knob that is currently set to off. What I don’t see is where a generator would connect to the system. Can someone provide some clarity on what I have and how I would go about using it in the event that I ever needed it? Thank you in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3451910B-C793-42C9-8B84-F4A5AE71F96A.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	37704  
KenSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:24 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Gen prep usually has the template on the compartment floor for cutouts, a junction box for the 120VAC lines from the gen and maybe a remote start cable that will have 5 or 6 white wires and a connector. there may also be a transfer switch fin the basement behind the rear wall. Look at the propane regulator and see if there is a TEE for an LP line to hook up to.

This is just off the top of my head what you should see.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:59 PM   #3
KenSC

Where would I find the junction box for the physical connection? The part where I connect a wire from the generator to the RV is where I am confused. I don’t see a way to do this.

There is no propane line run to the compartment there but that is ok, I am not going to run it on LP anyway. In fact I have no intention of installing a generator in that area, I am just curious about how to do so and considering it as an option in the event of power loss. My current generator has a 30A plug built in so I figured I would just run off my regular power line. Hopefully that will work out ok. I’m going to test it next week when my 50A -30A locking plug adapter arrives.
Clover SC
Old 01-02-2022, 07:35 AM   #4
ChuckS

First. The battery cutoff switch in fwd compartment is so that battery formthe inverter can charge from converter. The inverter is what supplies 120 volts AC to your residential fridge while towing or on battery power only

You need to see if a battery is installed and if not be aware that when you tow that fridge will not cool

Gen prep…

Image of transfer switch for your year Alpine and Gen mount plate.. if it’s even installed

Stand alone generator will do fine plugged into 50 amp plug understanding you will need to do power management with only 30 amp Gen set

Can’t run both A/C units at same time

Images of transfer relay and Gen mount plate

I run my Alpine with two Honda 2000 units in parallel and have for last eight years when boondocking

Personally I’d it weee my Alpine and it had the transfer switch installed I would I wire it and eliminate it from the circuit.. I can’t tell you how many Alpines I’ve seen with a failed transfer relay .. no Gen installed and can’t get shore power to work because transfer relay failed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	809FF7CA-26CC-4248-9B73-ECAB01E8C028.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	37714   Click image for larger version

Name:	D4EC6017-CEA4-4A57-B803-C06EB2399F1E.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	37715  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #5
firestation12

My gen prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
First. The battery cutoff switch in fwd compartment is so that battery formthe inverter can charge from converter. The inverter is what supplies 120 volts AC to your residential fridge while towing or on battery power only

You need to see if a battery is installed and if not be aware that when you tow that fridge will not cool

Gen prep…

Image of transfer switch for your year Alpine and Gen mount plate.. if it’s even installed

Stand alone generator will do fine plugged into 50 amp plug understanding you will need to do power management with only 30 amp Gen set

Can’t run both A/C units at same time

Images of transfer relay and Gen mount plate

I run my Alpine with two Honda 2000 units in parallel and have for last eight years when boondocking

Personally I’d it weee my Alpine and it had the transfer switch installed I would I wire it and eliminate it from the circuit.. I can’t tell you how many Alpines I’ve seen with a failed transfer relay .. no Gen installed and can’t get shore power to work because transfer relay failed

You don't state whether you have a 5th wheel or bumper pull, so I'm taking a stab at answering your question as if it's a 5th wheel Alpine. The 5th wheel prep adds a second door, under the pin box overhang. The left side door is smaller, and I'm guessing that is where your battery is located. To the right of that door, is a wider door, which is where the generator is prepped to be installed. The lower photo ChuckS provided, is the "inner box" that is installed behind the larger door located to the right of the battery compartment door. The inner containment box is shown upside down in the photo. The purpose of this inner box is to isolate the generator from causing a fire/explosion. Open the left door to the battery compartment and look upward and to the right. On my camper, the transfer switch is located above the "inner containment box" described above. There isn't any wiring pre-installed to connect the transfer switch to the future generator. You have to do that. There should be a bundle of 4 or 5 wires that ARE pre-installed to start and stop the future generator. They may also be located above the containment box. As for the propane, that is on you also, to provide the ingenuity to connect to a propane source. As others have stated, a portable generator(s) can be connected to the shore power inlet of your camper......a much simpler and cheaper option. Since this information is provided free of charge, it's value may be questionable, and has no associated warranty. Good luck!
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:20 PM   #6
gearhead

Sounds to me like he is wanting to hook a portable generator up to the "generator prep" wiring.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:43 AM   #7
ChuckS

Yup.. Keystone Alpine is a FIFTH WHEEL ONLY... the OP needs to educate himself on that battery cutoff switch in the forward compartment and understand he needs a battery in that box, battery switch ON if he is gonna tow with that residential fridge... The transfer switch on the Alpine comes.. or on the ones I have seen prewired for the shore power side..

I have personally helped two other Alpine owners bypass the OEM transfer switch because they could not get shore power to pass thru to the RV.. No generator installed in either case... but main power feed was.. in their cases prewired thru the transfer switch..

The switch fails and you cant get shore power to your RV.. If you are not going to install an OEM genset then its just another source of issues that can be eliminated...

My two 2000 gensets in parallel have provided all the 120 power weve ever needed when off the grid camping..

YMMV

Old 01-03-2022, 06:50 AM   #8
KenSC

Thanks for the answers. So the equipment is there but the final wiring would need to be completed to install a connector for the generator. That was what I was wondering. Thanks for the clarity. I am going to utilize an external gen option to connect my shore line. I have a Briggs and Stratton 6250 with a 30A plug for RV connection. Thanks for the information about the gen prep though. This just to fill my curiosity as I am learning all I can on this 5th wheel.
Clover SC
Old 01-03-2022, 07:06 AM   #9
KenSC

Hey ChuckS we were posting at the same time so I didn’t see your response until after submitting. Let me make sure I am clear on what you are saying about losing power at the switch even without a generator.

If I understand you correctly the switch I circled in yellow can go bad and cause the shore line power to stop at this point?

And if so then would I simply connect the 2 red wires circled in blue to bypass that switch?

This is located in the front of the RV where the optional generator would be housed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2CF6F6EF-7425-4D3F-BDF9-C472D88E2AD8.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	37739  
Old 01-03-2022, 09:00 AM   #10
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSC View Post
Hey ChuckS we were posting at the same time so I didn’t see your response until after submitting. Let me make sure I am clear on what you are saying about losing power at the switch even without a generator.

If I understand you correctly the switch I circled in yellow can go bad and cause the shore line power to stop at this point?

And if so then would I simply connect the 2 red wires circled in blue to bypass that switch?

This is located in the front of the RV where the optional generator would be housed.
NO and NO.... That Red switch is the 12 volt DC battery disconnect switch for your INVERTER that is used to power your residential fridge when not on shore power...

First you need to see if there is a battery in the case.. If not then you have two options:
1. Install a battery... I would go with AGM so you don't have to take cover off and check electrolyte levels... Grp 31 size if it will fit... if not then at least Grp 27..
2. If you DONT install a battery then when you tow your INVERTER will not run and the fridge will not have 120 volts AC to operate

You should also have at least ONE GRP 29 or 31 battery in the hydraulic compartment.. That is your MAIN COACH power for everything inside and outside to include your emergency brakes.. *** IT ALSO HAS a battery disconnect switch.. Leave it ON ALWAYS to keep your batteries charged when on shore power or generator power

Personally I run TWO GC2 batteries on my Alpine.. both in the Hyd compartment.. These have worked for me for over 6 years now... Costco brand "Interstate"... they are 6 volt batteries wired in series for 12 volts power

Old 01-03-2022, 09:10 AM   #11
ChuckS

This image is the PD52 transfer relay that is used OEM on all Alpines .. the right hand side is where the shore power comes in at and on the right hand side the “Load” is then connected to the main power center panel inside your Alpine

The location of this transfer relay will be near your shore power feed point to the Alpine .. if you have a hard wired Alpine with auto cord reel then the transfer relay will be mounted somewhere near this..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F19E10D5-F166-488A-947C-CB401FFF1E16.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	37740  

Tags
generator