Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
Alonzo762

Help!!! Grey tank not flushing

In need of MAJOR HELP… we have a 2021 keystone avalanche 378bh. We know absolutely nothing about fifth wheels/rv’s except what was explained to us in our walk through. We live in it 24/7 as of 3 weeks ago due to selling our home so bringing it to the dealership is a no go. We have been flushing the grey tanks for the shower and bathroom sinks just fine and about 3 days ago we noticed the kitchen sink was overflowing after using it, so we checked our gauge display and sure enough it says full, I go to pull the lever and nothing happens pushing in and out only very little drips and then a stop. I called the dealership and they said to bring it in I explained the situation and let them know we could not due to fact we are living in it full time and have 2 small children. He then Said to remove the undercarriage cover and check if the wire was attached while pulling the lever. I’ve tried and Cannot get the screws or bolts out, also I discovered after checking the undercarriage on the backside, one of the levers was not pulling out so they said they would have someone inspect it asap before delivery, we’ll I just found that they cut through the cover instead of removing it. Should I just cut the front cover to try and inspect?!?? Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!
Alonzo762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #2
dutchmensport

I feel your pain.

Before performing any surgery, take a garden hose and try shoving it up the grey tank outlet. See it it reaches a blockage. If it does, you won't be able to shove the hose up any farther, if the valve is not open.

However, if the tank has construction junk in it, from where they cut the holes to install the plumbing for the tank, the hose should shove the blockage clear and water should come gushing out ... until the construction material blocks the opening again.

At least this way, you you'll know if the valve cable is broken, the valve is broken and simply not moving, or if something else is blocking the drain opening.

Do this, before doing any surgery.

And, fyi, you just might have to bite the bullet and take it into the shop for warranty. This is one of those things you always need a plan "B" for when full timing. If you don't have a plan "B" yet, hopefully, you can figure one out, real fast. RV repair shops are backlogged several weeks, seems like ... everywhere.

On your camper, always perform the least evasive step first, before disassembling, cutting, or tearing anything up. Only when all options are exhausted, THEN consider surgery on the camper. However, if under warranty, you may really need to rethink before performing surgery too.

Either way, good luck, and hope you can get the blockage cleared easily.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:08 PM   #3
Slapshoot

Are you pulling the lever for the kitchen sink or the one for the bathroom sink and shower? Ours has two different levers.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #4
SandyBurg

Try this

We have a new Avalanche mid bunk. The kitchen pull is not with the other pulls for dumping. Look under the side. Ours is in front of the tires but up under the side. You almost have to get on your knees to see it. I will almost bet money you have an additional pull that they didn't tell you about. They didn't tell us, but since this is our third 5vr we knew to look for another pull. Good luck!!!

Ken, Sandy and Dan with Bailey our puppy
2018 GMC Sierra Denali Dully 4WD
2021 Avalanche 365MB
SandyBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:27 AM   #5
skids

YES! Try everything first because old grey water will be stinky water when it finally opens up.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:31 AM   #6
Scttw

I assume you are pulling the rear tank.
You prolly have 2 grey tanks as Sandy mentioned. 2 tanks lets you dry camp a lot longer! You need to pull the front, if this is the case. Then you can decide whether to leave the front open, as the 2nd grey if closed will still catch everything, and if it's open everything will free flow.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:00 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scttw View Post
I assume you are pulling the rear tank.
You prolly have 2 grey tanks as Sandy mentioned. 2 tanks lets you dry camp a lot longer! You need to pull the front, if this is the case. Then you can decide whether to leave the front open, as the 2nd grey if closed will still catch everything, and if it's open everything will free flow.
If there's 2 separate grey tanks there's a 99.99% chance they ARE NOT connected, opening grey #1 valve will not drain grey #2. If the bath & the kitchen are on opposite ends of the rv most likely there's a 2nd valve hidden underneath somewhere.
I'd have to agree that most times the kitchen grey water smells as bad or worse the the black.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank