Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2021, 03:07 PM   #1
BCBorn

Tongue Weight

I want to upgrade to a 2014 - 2015 Passport 199ML and trying to determine if the weight specs for my truck will work. Its not the towing capacity but the tongue weight that is the factor.

Thanks for the feedback, Truck numbers are from the door Jamb.

I have a 2012 Dutchman 177QBSL the factory reported tongue weight is 266lb, and a max GVW of 4700lbs which I assume included two empty 5 gal propane tanks, no battery and manual jack.

I added two full 7 gal (30lb) tanks, dual 6 volt Batteries and an Electric Tongue Jack. I was at 727 lbs static when putting the jack on the scale and the rest of the trailer off the scale.

Add me, the wife and the dog we are just over 1000lbs. That means the truck has to carry no gear in the box to stay under Payload of 1000 lbs.

Sticker GVWR 6052 lbs

I have a canopy on the truck and truck weighs as follows (Weighed the truck last summer with Canopy, hitch, myself, wife and spaniel, box empty);

Axle 1 2756 lbs 2910 lbs sticker Max
Axle 2 2315 lbs 3285 lbs sticker Max

981 lbs Cargo/tongue to reach trucks GVWR Limit
970 lbs Cargo/tongue to reach rear axle GAWR Limit

Hooked on trailer with equalizer bars, batteries, jack and full propane and went through scale again.

Axle 1 2579 lbs 2910 lbs Sticker Max
Axle 2 3042 lbs 3285 lbs Sticker Max
Axle 3 4145 lbs 4700 lbs GCWR of Dutchman Trailer

Axle Total 9766 lbs GCWR for Truck 11,270

From above I could put 555 lbs in the trailer right over the axles to reach the trailer GVWR and 970 lbs (minus tongue weight) in box of truck If I was to place any of the 555 lbs cargo in front of the trailer axles that would have to be deducted from the 970 lbs allowed in the truck.

The real issue here was, the Dutchman was to have a tongue weight of 266 lbs from factory (would include two empty 5 gal tanks (34 lbs) and a crank Jack (13 lbs, no battery).

I added two Crown Deep Cycle Batteries weigh 130lbs, upgraded to two full 7 gal propane tanks additional weight 80 lbs, upgraded to a Husky Brute Electric Jack additional weight 16 lbs. Upgraded mattress to a 7" deluxe (weight difference unknown). Based of the factory weight of 266 lbs plus 130 + 80 + 16 + mattress difference = 492 lbs.

Why did I get 727 lbs on the scale, mattress sure isn't 235 lbs heavier than the factory mattress. All tanks were empty and trailer totally empty.

Not sure what I'm missing here.

Bottom line I would love to hear what others are getting for tongue weight on their 2014 - 2016 Passport 199ML trailer on the road with cargo, batteries and propane.

This is my second option for a trailer upgrade is to look at a Winnebago 2016 Micro Minnie 2106 or 2015 Minnie 2101.

2014 - 2015 Winnebago 2101 Minnie (reported)
- UVW 269 lbs heavier than 199ML
- Factory Tongue Weight 125 lbs heavier than 199ML,
- GVW 2260 lbs greater than 199ML.

2015 - 2016 Winnebago 2106 Micro Minnie (reported)
- UVW 134 lbs heavier than 199ML
- Factory Tongue Weight 25 lbs heavier than 199Ml,
- GVW 1800 lbs greater than 199Ml.

Based on my Dutchman's GVW weights (loaded) which I never really exceeded will fall under the the Passport and Winnebago GVW maximums.

Hoping all numbers will work within my Tacoma's specs.

Thanks for the help here, there is lots to take in.
BCBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:22 PM   #2
travelin texans

You've now ask this question in 2 different post!
But the easy answer is NEVER EVER use any weights posted on RV websites, they WILL always be extremely low in an effect to sell & confuse.
To determine a good tongue weight either load up as heading out for a trip & head to the scales, which apparently you've done & disregard any tongue you've read, the scales don't lie. Your rear axle weight truck alone - rear axle weight w/ RV hooked up = actual tongue weight.
Or use 10-13% (12-13% would be closest) of the GVWR posted on the driverside front corner of a specific rv as a good maximum tongue weight, then subtract that number + the weight of the WDH + all passengers, pets & cargo in the truck from your 1000 lb payload. I'm fairly certain you'll be in the negative numbers very quickly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:50 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

See my trailer listed below, as I recall Keystone listed dry tw at 530 lbs. Scaled at 920 lbs fully loaded for camping and fresh water. I beleive if everyone checked their loaded tongue wt.s many would want a bigger truck.

I checked just for fun, TW on boat trailer 2 methods. The added weight to truck rear axle and disconnected and placed tongue on the scale. As I recall both were 320 lbs. That was about 10 years ago.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:07 PM   #4
BCBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
See my trailer listed below, as I recall Keystone listed dry tw at 530 lbs. Scaled at 920 lbs fully loaded for camping and fresh water. I beleive if everyone checked their loaded tongue wt.s many would want a bigger truck.

I checked just for fun, TW on boat trailer 2 methods. The added weight to truck rear axle and disconnected and placed tongue on the scale. As I recall both were 320 lbs. That was about 10 years ago.
Having said that the gear impacted the tongue weight at max was 390 lbs. The 199ML has a factory tongue weight of 195 lbs less than your factory reported weight for yours that's 61%. If that holds true one could assume 561 lbs would be the weight of tongue loaded for the 199ML

1000 - 561 = 439 lbs left for passengers and cargo in truck. Works if that held true.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:14 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Tongue weight is going to change depending on how the trailer is loaded, and IMO if your worried about 25 pounds putting you over, then your answer should be obvious- get a bigger truck or smaller trailer.

I chose 25 pounds at random as a starting point.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:28 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Seems we are swimming in minutia trying to twist numbers to justify a Toyota Tacoma towing (carrying) an RV. Tall order if it is of any size.

Discussing the potential trailer it is 5200 lbs. gvw x 13% = 676 lbs. Not been scaled so that's the best you can do or just try to fool yourself without a scale.

Payload of the Taco is 1000lbs. 1000-676 = 324lbs. That in and of itself tells you where the Taco sits. That's WAY too close (IMO) on weights when you consider a double cab Tacoma as the TV.

OP was comparing possible RVs by using gawrs; that number needs to just be forgotten unless you can meet the payload number....which apparently it won't.

Edit: the scaled weight of the truck per OP was 5071 and truck gvw was 6052 = 981 lbs. payload, not 1000.....and I'm sure more anomalies.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #7
BCBorn

Edit: the scaled weight of the truck per OP was 5071 and truck gvw was 6052 = 981 lbs. payload, not 1000.....and I'm sure more anomalies.[/QUOTE]

981 - 310lbs (2 adults and dog) = 671

If loaded tongue weight comes at 100 - 200 high, I can move pass-thru cargo to axles or behind axles and the tongue weight will drop lb for lb.

We never carry water, we always fill onsite at the camp ground.

I'm looking for real loaded (no water) tongue weights on 2014 - 2016 199ml Passports.

2017 model years and newer have weights increased due to changes in the trailer, thus reason I'm looking for a 2014 - 2016.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:05 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Good luck. We see this exercise/conversation quite often. You can also cut the load on the truck by removing the occupants but that isn't realistic either.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:57 PM   #9
BCBorn

Why is everyone assuming the trailer will be at max GVW here with a 13% tongue weight.

Their is a lot of guessing here as everyone has said advertised weights are incorrect.

The 2014 - 2016 199ML has a advertised UVW of 3571, what is the real weight?

A weight of 3571 (unrealistic as suggested) and a tongue weight ratio of 13% would equate to 464 lbs. tongue weight. Easy tow for a Tacoma and under allowed payload. It's the cargo that will make of break the deal.

Until I get a real Trailer Weight with batteries, full propane and nothing else I will never be able to determine the trailer weight without gear.

Unless some one has weighed the tongue weight on a trailer with battery and propane intact, one will never know the tongue weight to determine how much gear forward of the axles is allowed before exceeding vehicle payload of 650 lbs.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2021, 05:37 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBorn View Post
Why is everyone assuming the trailer will be at max GVW here with a 13% tongue weight.

Their is a lot of guessing here as everyone has said advertised weights are incorrect.

The 2014 - 2016 199ML has a advertised UVW of 3571, what is the real weight?

A weight of 3571 (unrealistic as suggested) and a tongue weight ratio of 13% would equate to 464 lbs. tongue weight. Easy tow for a Tacoma and under allowed payload. It's the cargo that will make of break the deal.

Until I get a real Trailer Weight with batteries, full propane and nothing else I will never be able to determine the trailer weight without gear.

Unless some one has weighed the tongue weight on a trailer with battery and propane intact, one will never know the tongue weight to determine how much gear forward of the axles is allowed before exceeding vehicle payload of 650 lbs.

Thanks

The problem is the fact that no matter if you found 10 people to weigh their trailers they wouldn't be the same.....and none of them would be the same as what yours would be. With that understanding you can only "guesstimate" what you might be putting on the Tacoma.

When "guessing" at the weight of a prospective trailer you always use the gvwr. Why? Because you nor anyone else knows what you're going to put in it. Maybe it has lots of new space and you can "stuff" it. Maybe it has a spot to put that new Blackstone or bbq grill...again none of us know. What you DO know beyond a shadow of a doubt is that it is far, FAR better to be under weights than over. IMO being overweight is dangerous for you and everyone on the road with you. Being underweight does nothing but benefit you and everyone else as it makes you safer, hence the use of gvwr vs the lowest number I can possibly squeak by with. Same goes for tongue weight; the given range is 10-15% of the loaded weight and 13% is not only in the middle but about an avg. of what real life is.

So in the end, the wrong way to approach a new trailer for a given mini truck is NOT to pick all the lowest numbers, tell yourself you'll never run with the tanks full (you will eventually for some reason), you'll never put THAT much stuff in the trailer, you'll "manage" the weight by moving it around (you can't enough to make an appreciable difference).....all the things people that wan't to tow overweight tell themselves. It happens all the time and we see it. WILL you be at max gvwr? I don't know but hope not, it's the wrong end of the rope to be on. Coming in under gvw gives you a safety cushion (ie; better control, less chance of component failure etc.). That's why those numbers are used for "guesstimating" purposes.

The reality is that any time one buys a mini truck (my term for a Tacoma and those like it) you chose up front that towing an RV was not a priority simply because the platform was not meant for that - no matter what the sales brochures and sales people tell you. Can you drop a mid sized RV (23' and full size) on a Tacoma? Yes, I've seen some. Were they overloaded? Sure looked it to me. Were they dangerous? Definitely IMO. The Tacoma is a fine vehicle for what it was meant for but RVing wasn't really it.

My commentary and observations (and others like them) are simply an effort to help you think through your situation and keep you as safe as possible. Without scaled weights the only way to "try" to be safe is use worst case scenario numbers vs what could be "pie in the sky" projections. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:43 AM   #11
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

all that aside, I would like to SEE your setup. if the reported scale numbers are right and you have the WD hitch installed, and there are no typoes...you found a 'weigh' (pun intended) to put ALL the TW on the back end of the truck. with WD. which tells me the starting 'level-ness' and hitch height aint right. Its very common for that to go awry and very few people understand what is trying to be done, so...if you want, and have some time and some level ground, we can back trace the setup steps

(ps: I did learn when I picked up 'Betty' last month that the fine folks in tech checkout at my camping world didnt understand this either. They mal-adjusted my hitch while we were inside getting the mandatory 'store tour'. I do carry the proper big wrenches around...)
quaddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:21 AM   #12
Ken / Claudia

There must be bare bone minimalist RVers out there. I am not and no one I know is. My observation is a big compliant about any rv is lack of storage. Or ability to carry and store your stuff. All that stuff has weight. When I carried it on my back every ounce mattered and everything was weighted. RVing I will not go through that again.
Campgrounds are full of people that bring their toys along and why not. If you have something that makes cooking easier than bring it. Extra clothes and some for cold, some for hot and some for rain. What about chairs, BBQs, coolers to make living outside of the rv fun. Or the guy like me who ends up finding something that needs fixed, do you leave it broken or fix it. You need tools and spare parts. After a trip or two doing without, stuff gets added.
Than you find that off grid place you must visit and now need to carry all water in and waste water out. I did not mention what about using the rv as a bug vehicle due to flooding/fire etc near your house. I keep mine loaded with food and gear just incase. That stuff is not used when camping. But takes up room and weight.
Start with looking at the GVWR of rv as the number, you might get there sooner or later.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:43 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

The harsh reality is this. As Danny stated very well the mini truck is great for mini tasks. Towing anything past a pop-up or small utility trailer ain't one of them. The "little engine thst could" is a great children's story but doesn't apply to trucks.

Not trying to be harsh but from what I've read thus far it appears to me that you are unwilling or unable to upgrade your truck to a more capable/appropriate one to hual a larger load. My impression is you are seeing confirmation that your descision is sound. I call that "opinion shoping", similar to how some folks "doctor shop" to find one that agrees with them. IMUO, splitting hairs by storing a minor amount of weight fore or aft of the cg "to make the numbers work" is being disingenuous with yourself.

If you seek the weights of any truck or trailer then the ojly way to get that is by visiting a scale. Asking someone else what their weights are will only reveal what their weights are, not yours. The 13% of GVW is used as an industry wide guide when the actual weight is unknown. Will this be accurate in the end result? Perhaps not but it will be the safe assumption. For the truck the limiting factor is payload. The payload number published,inclufing the door sticker,bis a "best case number". It's a maximum number when it rolled off the assembly line. It has to be as that's the only number available to them. Once in your possession the only way to know what payload is remaining is to weigh the truck.

In regarding the trailer the humbers become even more opaque. The weights of the trailer and tongue are again based on the factory end product BUT, and it's a big but, that DOES NOT INCLUDE the battery, LP in the tanks, and get this, any options either factory or dealer/owner installed. So while often trailers come with "options packages" installed they are not included in the factory weights, even if not getting those options requires a special order. End result is, given the only available numbers (the inaccurate empty weight and mieleading tongue weight, and gvw) the prudent thing to do is to use the gvw and 13%. Of gvw for the tongue weight. It's been proven time and again that folks will end up closer to that end of the spectrum rather than the "published weights" reported by the manufacyurer.

Good lucknin your search and travel safe.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:46 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Isn't buying a trailer "at it's lowest weight and lowest capacity" sort of like a 300 pound man buying size 32x32 Levi's with the expectation that, Hey, when I lose weight, they'll fit"... Until then, I'll get them up to my knees and just "hobble around"....

You "could manage that way" until a bear chases you, then, well, you better hope the pepper spray works because you're going to be the slowest in the pack... That translates to "bear snacks"...

Now, if only that 300 pounder would have boght the right size jeans or lost the weight before buying something that's "just too small for comfort or utility"...

If "reality" is any excuse to use "real numbers" then buying a trailer to pull behind a truck is one of those times....

Assuming "I'll never tow it above the advertised empty numbers" or "If I do, it won't be by much" is like stopping at every gas station to put in "a dollar's worth" because it might be cheaper around the corner..... It's better to "buy what you need for the trip (a trailer that fits (and stays under) the truck's maximums or buy a truck that fits (and stays over) the trailer's maximums...

There ain't no freebies or mulligans when the S**T hits the fan in an emergency.... That's NOT the time to think, "I shoulda or I coulda" because your mind and your arms are going to be in panic mode trying to keep the rig under control, not "wishing for another chance to do it right the first time"...

Use the "worst case numbers" (GVWR) and you'll always be under... Use the "empty weight numbers" and you'll always be over... Ask yourself, "Do I want to live on the edge or live with a safety margin"..... The answer to most responsible RV'ers is obvious.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:11 AM   #15
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

all that aside, its still forest for the trees. if equipped, the taco (year and outfitting are still unknown) is up to 6800lbs towing. that aint a mini truck and that aint a mini task and of all the OEMs on the market today, Toyota is the one I will believe without qualification. none of the trailers he mentioned are in any ways outside the range of a proper taco.

The forest for the trees issue is the one I mentioned that almost no one gets or understands (and apparently noticed) IF his reporting is accurate AND the numbers are not typoed, in the 2 hooked and unhooked examples, he transferred ALL the weight to the rear, **WITH*** the WD hooked up. I would never expect that in any case. this is akin to a drawing with big red flags pointing to a single spot in the drawing. Gotta shoot that question first before speculation. my guess, having not seen it, is he is catching the load too late and its likely due to the unladen hitch height being too low. knowing toyota in general and tacos in specific, I would like for him to plan for 3" back end drop (mebbe more, gotta see all the load) with WD and loads. toyota SPECIFICALLY builds the truck to run this way down to minutia like the steering caster angle.

everything else is just mush. make sure the WD is acting like a WD then worry about junk and weights and things.
quaddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:41 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver View Post
all that aside, its still forest for the trees. if equipped, the taco (year and outfitting are still unknown) is up to 6800lbs towing. that aint a mini truck

You ever sat in the driver's seat of a Taco then say a Ram CC? Taco feels "mini" to me.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:30 AM   #17
BCBorn

Weight

Thanks for the feedback. I thought I posted this, but not showing up.

For me it's determining an ACCURATE UVW of a 2014 - 2016 Passport 199ML with full tanks (preferably 30lb tanks), Power Tongue Jack and Dual 6 Volt Batteries. As you said I can shed some weight and move to Lithium and will do if need be. If I have to stay with 20 lb tanks, not an issue, just have to fill more often.

A 2014 - 2016 Passport 199ML is said to have a a UVW of 3571 (No Battery, Two Empty 20lb Propane, Manual Jack). If this weight is accurate, (many say it is not) factory reports the tongue weight to be 335 lbs (9 - 10%). In my case 1000 - 319 - 335 = 346 lbs for additional tongue weight over the factory reported tongue weight. I might end up being over 100 - 200 lbs Payload, most Tacoma owners probably are, but if hooked properly their will be no showing red flags.

My truck full of gas, myself, wife, dog and canopy take up 319 lbs of payload. If the numbers above are correct, that leaves me with 681 lbs for tongue weight (batteries, propane, cargo, actual tongue weight UVW (that impacts tongue weight).

With my old Kodiak I had to put heavy items at rear of trailer to offset tongue weight (generator, BBQ, Camp Fire, Tote of Propane Hoses, bikes on rear trailer hitch. To also keep tongue weight low additional gear that had weight was placed over trailer axle. The lighter stuff went into the pass-thru some in the truck in-front of the rear axles.

Pulling up the equalizer bars a notch transferred some of the weight from the rear axle to reduce it slightly and it increased front axle weight near unloaded reading. I was never over on the GVWR or GAWR for either axle.

It is my understanding tongue weight should never be less than 10%. Heavier tongue weights increase rear GAWR and lessen front GAWR. To reduce rear GAWR and Increase front GAWR one can increase the tension on the equalizer bars. You would never want to exceed the rated GAWR on either front or rear axles, nor would you want to reduce the GAWR on either front or rear axles below the unloaded readings. Would bet every unit going down the road with the headlights pointing to the sky and the rear bumper touching the ground is not in compliance.

I just want someone to provide me with an ACCURATE (100%) Trailer Weight and Tongue Weight of a 2014 - 2016 Passport 199ML. The weights must be with no batteries and no propane tanks or with two full propane tanks (what size used), Batteries (what size, how many). State if weights are with Manual or Electric Tongue Jack.

I have seen many owners of Toyota Tacoma pickups towing Passports, where are you in the crowd. It is fiscally responsible to know your weights, not buy the biggest truck you can find and take the trailer GVW of 5200 x 13% = 676 lbs tongue weight and assume your good to go.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:43 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBorn View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I thought I posted this, but not showing up.

For me it's determining an ACCURATE UVW of a 2014 - 2016 Passport 199ML with full tanks (preferably 30lb tanks), Power Tongue Jack and Dual 6 Volt Batteries. As you said I can shed some weight and move to Lithium and will do if need be. If I have to stay with 20 lb tanks, not an issue, just have to fill more often.

A 2014 - 2016 Passport 199ML is said to have a a UVW of 3571 (No Battery, Two Empty 20lb Propane, Manual Jack). If this weight is accurate, (many say it is not) factory reports the tongue weight to be 335 lbs (9 - 10%). In my case 1000 - 319 - 335 = 346 lbs for additional tongue weight over the factory reported tongue weight. I might end up being over 100 - 200 lbs Payload, most Tacoma owners probably are, but if hooked properly their will be no showing red flags.

My truck full of gas, myself, wife, dog and canopy take up 319 lbs of payload. If the numbers above are correct, that leaves me with 681 lbs for tongue weight (batteries, propane, cargo, actual tongue weight UVW (that impacts tongue weight).

With my old Kodiak I had to put heavy items at rear of trailer to offset tongue weight (generator, BBQ, Camp Fire, Tote of Propane Hoses, bikes on rear trailer hitch. To also keep tongue weight low additional gear that had weight was placed over trailer axle. The lighter stuff went into the pass-thru some in the truck in-front of the rear axles.

Pulling up the equalizer bars a notch transferred some of the weight from the rear axle to reduce it slightly and it increased front axle weight near unloaded reading. I was never over on the GVWR or GAWR for either axle.

It is my understanding tongue weight should never be less than 10%. Heavier tongue weights increase rear GAWR and lessen front GAWR. To reduce rear GAWR and Increase front GAWR one can increase the tension on the equalizer bars. You would never want to exceed the rated GAWR on either front or rear axles, nor would you want to reduce the GAWR on either front or rear axles below the unloaded readings. Would bet every unit going down the road with the headlights pointing to the sky and the rear bumper touching the ground is not in compliance.

I just want someone to provide me with an ACCURATE (100%) Trailer Weight and Tongue Weight of a 2014 - 2016 Passport 199ML. The weights must be with no batteries and no propane tanks or with two full propane tanks (what size used), Batteries (what size, how many). State if weights are with Manual or Electric Tongue Jack.

I have seen many owners of Toyota Tacoma pickups towing Passports, where are you in the crowd. It is fiscally responsible to know your weights, not buy the biggest truck you can find and take the trailer GVW of 5200 x 13% = 676 lbs tongue weight and assume your good to go.

What you failed to consider in all this "I can make it work" analysis is that 2014-2016 was the "heyday of smoke and mirrors" in the RV industry. In 2017, when RVIA started calling for more accurate representation of trailer weights, increased tire capacity reserves and more "responsible advertising" is when the 199ML tongue weight increased in the brochures. I'd suspect it's not a "change in design or engineering" but a more accurate reflection of "reality".... There's a significant increase in tongue weight on later 199ML trailers, but I'd argue that it's not a "real increase" but a "brochure advertising adjustment" in what's included in the advertisements.... Just like I can't go to bed tonight weighing 185 and tomorrow morning wake up weighing 205. If I do, there's a strong suspicion that the scale is not accurate... Same with the 199ML. Only in this case, it's the way the weights were achieved "for the brochure"....

Read the small print in any of those brochures with shipping weight, trailer specifications and descriptions... They all state the shipping weight is for the "standard build trailer with no optional equipment". But when you scroll up to the "features section of the brochure" it'll list "optional packages that are mandatory"... What that means is the factory weighed a "mythical trailer for the brochure" that was NEVER produced for sale...

You can have a 3171 pound shipping weight on a trailer with no optional equipment (standard build) and then EVERY trailer out the factory door "must have the mandatory options".... During that time frame, some manufacturers were listing shipping weights like that 3171, then calling the air conditioner, microwave, upgrade mattress and even the "Polar package" as optional equipment that must be included in every trailer... In some instances, those 3171 trailers really weighed closer to 3700 pounds "out the door"..... And that's still before adding a spare tire and rack, batteries and propane to the empty tanks.

SMOKE AND MIRRORS and you're looking for a trailer that's "smack dab in the middle of the fog"....

Find a trailer like you want, weigh it and see just how close it comes to that "brochure".... My guess (only been doing this 50 years or so) is that you'll be off by 20% in what the brochure says it weighs and what the scale says it weighs....

The part I bolded: That works, somewhat, when your trailer axles have enough reserve capacity to accept the weight distribution load from adjusting the WD bars. Remember a WD hitch redistributes weight BOTH to the tow vehicle front axle and to the trailer axles. So if you're loading "everything that's heavy over the trailer axles" adding additional "transferred weight from the WD bar adjustment" may be the last thing you want to do.

Also, your list of "things that make up trailer tongue weight" fails to mention the 100+ pound weight distribution hitch and sway control mechanism... That's an "added device" that isn't included in either the brochure tongue weight or in the "13% trailer GVWR....

Now the dilemma: When you're calculating a 5% safety margin and the actual weight is 20% off, just how good is your "brochure" ??????

Deal in "worst case numbers" or deal in "real scale numbers" DO NOT DEAL IN SMOKE AND MIRRORS !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:59 AM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

ACTUAL WEIGHT:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Sherl...ontent=General

You can use this, I have one in my tool box and another one 0-5000 for fivers. YUP every time I use it it suprises the customer just how heavy they really are.

https://www.curtmfg.com/trailer-part...20down%20first.

This method also works. IMO its easier to carry the sherline one and use it when looking at a potential purchase.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:08 AM   #20
BCBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
ACTUAL WEIGHT:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Sherl...ontent=General

You can use this, I have one in my tool box and another one 0-5000 for fivers. YUP every time I use it it suprises the customer just how heavy they really are.

https://www.curtmfg.com/trailer-part...20down%20first.

This method also works. IMO its easier to carry the sherline one and use it when looking at a potential purchase.
Totally Agree, I'm looking for the guy who has done this and provide me with feedback.

I do not own this trailer yet, I'm doing my homework upfront to see how much difference I'm looking at if upgrading from my 2012 Dutchman Kodiak 177QBSL to the 2014 - 2016 Passport 199ML