Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2021, 06:22 PM   #21
Gegrad

At least the majority of the comments seem to be focused on their lack of proper WDH/Way too small of truck for that unit. Of course there are a few in there being oblivious, but seems like most of the people are rightfully calling them out.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:49 PM   #22
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you can get the video to stop at 12, 13 and 14 seconds, the curbside rear trailer tire has "something flapping as the tire goes around and there's a flat spot with no tread on that same tire. Add that to the part of the video showing a tire with maybe 30PIS, lack of a hitch (at least he changed from a "3 way hollow bar to a 5" drop with no WD hitch), torqueing the lug nuts with a universal lug wrench, but what the heck, it'll also fit the rear stabilizers.

These two are a hazard to RVing and the image they present is not only frightening, it's damn near a "don't ever do what we do, if you want to live" moment !!!!!

At least we can say that we saw it on the internet, so it must be true !!!
John,
I’m thinking you mean they had a 5” rise with no WDH.

Someone asked the question in one of the video comments if they had a 7 way plug on their truck because you couldn’t see one. The answer was - “the trailer had breaks”. Well, yep, the trailer had breaks (in more ways than one), but no one knows if those “breaks” were ever plugged in to the truck or if the truck even had the capability to have a 7 way plugged in. I swear, the more I see, the more scared I am to ever get out on the road and drive anywhere, much less send my kids out…

BTW - the creepy factor of the never-ending smiles is going to give me a nightmare tonight, I swear!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:55 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
John,
I’m thinking you mean they had a 5” rise with no WDH.

BTW - the creepy factor of the never-ending smiles is going to give me a nightmare tonight, I swear!
Yes, Lynette, it is (or was) a 5" drop hitch that was turned upside down to raise the ball above the receiver... It's shown in their "crash video" with the ball mount twisted and the ball partly pulled away from the mount. SCARY STUFF !!!!

But not quite as scary as the "halloween faces that never seem to stop grinning at the audience"... Sort of like the "weird, always grinning uncle who shows up with a bag of candy at every family gathering and parents keep warning the younger kids not to sit in his lap"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:11 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Just got back a while ago trying to catch up and I see this!

My take is we are watching 2 totally clueless folks deciding to take off in a situation they have no idea about; no clue about towing, weights and on and on. DANGEROUS idiots.....we see every day unfortunately. A Frontier with a 27' trailer (looking at model number), no wdh and "going to see the country"....heaven help me!

Their accident was certain to happen; their total lack of responsibility, knowledge or due diligence before towing is not only disconcerting but scary....for every person sharing the road with such "ignorant weapons". Everything that happened was 100% their fault, but yet.....

Do you notice that the entire series of videos from the losers, from the first to the last one posted, seemed to build on their "starting from nothing", deciding to go on this "way to see the country" (with absolutely dangerous equipment) the went to the "wo is me", "look at the bad things that happened to us" AND could you fund us with a new trailer.....even a new Class C or better so we can "go have some more stupid fun"...

Sorry, it's been a long trying day but I'm glad these folks don't have to talk to me; the whole thing is too orchestrated. Suck it up and get on with it on your own.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:10 AM   #25
curtiscapk

and they said in a comment the insurance didn't pay off the loan! How much was the loan for on a trailer in storage for a couple years!?
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:46 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtiscapk View Post
and they said in a comment the insurance didn't pay off the loan! How much was the loan for on a trailer in storage for a couple years!?
Not defending these idiots but the insurance likely didn't cover the personal possessions and may have had an extreme deductible. If they were that clueless, and from their "High School guidance counselor's" grinns I'm guessing they are, they likely were/are just as clueless about insurance.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:26 AM   #27
notanlines

It's my understanding that the RV would be covered by the insurance on the tow vehicle, not the RV insurance, in most cases. I feel certain that the personal property would be covered to a point. Probably little enough that they saw fit to beg to good people for their money.
I wish mightily that Lynette hadn't made mention of that woman's smile. Someone needs to just.....naw, I better not say that!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:02 AM   #28
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Sort of like the "weird, always grinning uncle who shows up with a bag of candy at every family gathering and parents keep warning the younger kids not to sit in his lap"....
I thought we had rules against political stuff???
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #29
travelin texans

I wouldn't donate a dime to their replacement, I might donate a couple bucks to the "keep these fools off the highway" fund.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #30
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I wouldn't donate a dime to their replacement, I might donate a couple bucks to the "keep these fools off the highway" fund.
Count me in for a couple of Bucks.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:15 PM   #31
jfk69

Those smiles weird me out. Creepy couple. As far as the rest, this is what terrifies me on the road. Camping at Harrisville last weekend I kept commenting to the DW on all the short wheel base SUV’s towing trailers that were too long, too heavy, and no WDH or anti sway bars.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:59 PM   #32
fjr vfr

Be afraid...Very afraid! They are not alone!
We see it all the time. But the incessant grinning is very disconcerting.
Weren't they in an old episode of "X Files" or Twilight Zone? I could swear I've seen them in one of those old shows?
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:23 AM   #33
Ribtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Be afraid...Very afraid! They are not alone!
We see it all the time. But the incessant grinning is very disconcerting.
Weren't they in an old episode of "X Files" or Twilight Zone? I could swear I've seen them in one of those old shows?
Maybe you thinking this show
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200621-164100_Google.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	35809  
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:25 AM   #34
wiredgeorge

Before becoming a towing zombie, I hardly noticed what or how people towed huge campers when we were at an RV park and now that is the first thing I notice. The 18K 5th wheel with a 3/4 ton or the 37' bumper pull with the 1/2 ton seem to be more common than a larger than necessary tow vehicle.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:11 AM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Before becoming a towing zombie, I hardly noticed what or how people towed huge campers when we were at an RV park and now that is the first thing I notice. The 18K 5th wheel with a 3/4 ton or the 37' bumper pull with the 1/2 ton seem to be more common than a larger than necessary tow vehicle.
Advertising and the lack of real world experience. Remember the commercials for mini vans back in the day? They would show the 7 passenger capacity with a mom loading up a school football team. Sure, try that with a vasity high school team and not a bunch of grade schoolers. Point is, buy that van and the first time you try to shove 6 high school boys (could be the chess club it wouldn't matter) and you know it won't physically work.

Now fast forward to the current deceptions in advertisements and you hitch up the trailer that's way to much for the given truck. It works! Well, it works until it tragically doesn’t. Sad thing is, so many are convinced it's "OK". I pray for them when I see them in the CG.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:29 AM   #36
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

watcing the video....dont see any 'weigh and sway' on the rig....the truck probably was fine to tow it, that trailer was stick and tin...prolly fairly light...but its a big box...
quaddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:58 AM   #37
Gkri

Perhaps a result of 40 + years in wastewater treatment, the forst thing i noticed in the video was the toilet is still standing!
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:09 AM   #38
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver View Post
watcing the video....dont see any 'weigh and sway' on the rig....the truck probably was fine to tow it, that trailer was stick and tin...prolly fairly light...but its a big box...
"The truck probably was fine to tow it..." Really? You mean the truck that WAS hitched to it just before violently ending up in pieces in the ditch?
Old 09-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkri View Post
Perhaps a result of 40 + years in wastewater treatment, the forst thing i noticed in the video was the toilet is still standing!
So the moral of the story is if you want to ride in a trailer while underway,ninstall a seatbelt on the toilet! Might put a sign in there "Do not flush while traversing ruff roads."
Old 09-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #40
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkri View Post

lol I saw that too. somehow, a missed advertising oppty!
quaddriver is offline   Reply With Quote