Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
Jimmy240

Tow Vehicle maintenance… do you pay or do it yourself?

As a owner of a diesel, I learned early on you do your own maintenance or you’re gonna pay out the butt for it.

What do you do and what do you pay someone to do?

I change my own oil, fuel filters, crankcase filter, grease (only one point on this ram), diff oil, transfer oil, cabin filter, air filter… and today I changed out the transmission fluid, filters and pan.

Below you can see how bad the air filter was with only 21k between changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1334366B-B7D9-47B4-87A0-BBD552E157D7.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	35486   Click image for larger version

Name:	088FB793-D8BB-4ED6-8F2C-B444B4DB25A4.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	35487   Click image for larger version

Name:	594B5082-7992-4ADE-8BBB-38CF6E708F48.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	35488  
Jimmy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:18 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy240 View Post
As a owner of a diesel, I learned early on you do your own maintenance or you’re gonna pay out the butt for it.

I change my own oil, fuel filters, crankcase filter, grease (only one point on this ram), diff oil, transfer oil, cabin filter, air filter… and today I changed out the transmission fluid, filters and pan.

I have to take care of 7 vehicles and two boats and a bunch of other tractor/dirt bike and four wheeler engines …four of the engines are diesel two in a boat and two different diesel trucks ( mine and my sons)
I’m not independently wealthy so had to learn to do much myself
Rebuilt a top end on a Volvo diesel on a prior boat..I sent the injection pump,turbo and injectors all out to get rebuilt and i reinstalled them after freshening up the head and freeing up a seized piston from water intrusion. With that being said ,I’m getting tired of working on everything …I really am. …life is short and I want to relax a little..one of my sons engines in his boat..250 cummins has been running hot and it’s been driving me crazy…met a cummins mechanic with a business and have started “letting go” of some of my responsibility’s…I’ve always taken great pride in being able to figure things out and get things done but I’m ready to pay someone to do some of the tedious things in life that will free me up for vacations and travel.and believe me having two Diesel engines in a boat gets really expensive really quick.. just buying two of everything.
Just looking out for my kids and wanting them to have a good life.

Anyway long boring story but yeah I do my own work but looking for a way out lol

( the overheating was a raw water pump impeller that I absolutely knew could not be the problem as prior owner just replaced water pump and had good flow..only creeped up at cruising speed …slowly . switched to a upgraded cooler thermostat and was getting ready to tear into the gear cooler and heat exchanger to rod them out…actually still have to do that ) …I misdiagnose problems when I immediately rule one of the theory’s out..don’t know why I keep falling for that
Old 08-28-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
dutchmensport

The very last thing I ever want to do is work on fuel based engine. I pride myself in being a dang good carpenter, electrician, carpenter, mason, roofer, even a ditch digger and don't mind cleaning poop out of horse stalls. But when it comes to a fuel based engine ... I let someone else do that.

My dad was quite the mechanic, very talented, very gifted in many things. He could tear an automobile engine apart down to the last washer and assemble it better than factory build. My mother expected me to have the same talent (or ambition, I guess), and somehow roped me into fixing gasoline lawn mower engines and such. I despised it.

When I got older, and accumulated my own sense of wealth, I said "never again." And I haven't. Lawn mower's, gasoline engines, automobile engines, generators, and even my diesel truck, I take it all for servicing and don't mind paying the price. If I skin my knuckles up, I'd rather do that hanging a sheet of dry wall, or scraping them on roofing shingles than getting oil, grease, cuts, scratches, blood and mess ground under my finger nails.

Nope, my GM dealership services my diesel, keeps me up on the repairs, recommends when things should be done, and don't have to skin my knuckles, curse, swear, and scream at God !
Old 08-28-2021, 03:45 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Some of the basics I do, oil changes (because of the problems getting rid of used oil) I just let the dealer do. It's worth the cost not to have to haul old oil around to dispose of it. Minor maintenance and repairs I do, but I'm not equipped to pull the cab on a SuperDuty, so anything more than shocks, fuel filter changes, radiator flushes, etc goes to the dealership.

I still do all my small engine repair work, my diesel tractor and all the implements, boat motors, boat trailer bearings, wiring, travel trailer repairs, maintenance and upkeep. Every time I climb on the fifth wheel roof, I "suggest to myself" that I ought to start letting someone else clean and reseal it and, every time I conclude, "next time"... And then when it's time, I lay the ladder against the trailer, climb up it and have that same conversation with myself... So far, I'd rather know it's done right than pay someone else and wonder....

For me, having an excuse to go out to the pole barn and work on something, or just go out to the pole barn and sit on a stool at the workbench and "think about what I could be doing" is, IMO, a worthwhile and refreshing way to spend an afternoon... If I get something accomplished, all the better, if I just sit there, listen to a ball game and fiddle with cleaning rust off an old wrench, well, it's still a worthwhile afternoon.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
Javi

Ford dealer does mine, the day I have to worry about the difference in cost between them doing it and me doing it is the day I quit camping.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
The very last thing I ever want to do is work on fuel based engine. I pride myself in being a dang good carpenter, electrician, carpenter, mason, roofer, even a ditch digger and don't mind cleaning poop out of horse stalls. But when it comes to a fuel based engine ... I let someone else do that.

My dad was quite the mechanic, very talented, very gifted in many things. He could tear an automobile engine apart down to the last washer and assemble it better than factory build. My mother expected me to have the same talent (or ambition, I guess), and somehow roped me into fixing gasoline lawn mower engines and such. I despised it.

When I got older, and accumulated my own sense of wealth, I said "never again." And I haven't. Lawn mower's, gasoline engines, automobile engines, generators, and even my diesel truck, I take it all for servicing and don't mind paying the price. If I skin my knuckles up, I'd rather do that hanging a sheet of dry wall, or scraping them on roofing shingles than getting oil, grease, cuts, scratches, blood and mess ground under my finger nails.

Nope, my GM dealership services my diesel, keeps me up on the repairs, recommends when things should be done, and don't have to skin my knuckles, curse, swear, and scream at God !
I don’t have a lot of patience for service departments. My dealer is an hour away and have to leave the truck there for a day or wait 3 hours while it’s done..I can change my own oil in 30 min …I’ve been looking at two post
lifts for the last couple of years and always say I’m gonna buy one …maybe this year.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:13 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I don’t have a lot of patience for service departments. My dealer is an hour away and have to leave the truck there for a day or wait 3 hours while it’s done..I can change my own oil in 30 min …I’ve been looking at two post
lifts for the last couple of years and always say I’m gonna buy one …maybe this year.
I've got two pole barns now, when we built the last one I contemplated digging a "drive over pit" in one of the bays. My DW (bless her soul) talked me out of it... I'm toying with building another pole barn next spring, if I can get the piece of property across the road from our house. If I do build another one, it's going to have a pit, come hell or high water !!!!! Might mean a few days of cold supper and strained "good night, dear" but .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-28-2021, 04:13 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I have been working on autos “on the side” for over 40 yrs. I don’t pay but I do get payed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:24 PM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I've got two pole barns now, when we built the last one I contemplated digging a "drive over pit" in one of the bays. My DW (bless her soul) talked me out of it... I'm toying with building another pole barn next spring, if I can get the piece of property across the road from our house. If I do build another one, it's going to have a pit, come hell or high water !!!!! Might mean a few days of cold supper and strained "good night, dear" but .....
Wow I have one of them in my garage! I have an old big separate garage (barn shaped) with an apt over it. (Never gonna rent the apt out) Built in the 1940s. I actually have a small pit in it …enough to stand in …it has a recess lip in the concrete and has boards fitted over top of it ….but I live on the water ..at sea level an gets water in it..haven’t thought about it in a while because I use that garage for storage mostly…I have another garage/ workshop thanks to my FIL who passed away across the street that I use for my projects…I either have to reframe the trusses or put the lift outside unless I build a separate pole barn…maybe just start using the pit if I get the drain squared away….you just saved me some back pain!
Old 08-28-2021, 04:40 PM   #10
gearhead

I pulled on wrenches in a large refinery as a Millwright for 20+ years before taking promotions. I know I can do most of it. But, my small town Ram dealer charges $10 labor for a oil change. I buy the Rotella and the filter. Call them, make an appointment, maybe an hour max at the dealer. Nice drive in the country going and coming home.
Living the dream.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:04 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

The 15 quarts of Motorcraft oil at Walmart is $65. Filter is $18. That's $83+ tax for the oil/filter. Ford charges $95 for an oil change and that includes checking the fluids and topping off any that need it.

Labor, the way I add up the costs, is $12. It's not worth my effort to even dig out a half in wrench and a drip pan for 12 bucks. And I don't have to find a place to dispose of the old oil.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-28-2021, 06:54 PM   #12
Ken / Claudia

I maintain 5 vehicles and pick and chose what I do. Oil changes on the F350, when I learned it was about 10 more bucks for them to do it than me if I payed full price for oil/filter. They do that.
I needed my 9.9 kicker/trolling motor carb rebuilt and water pump impeller replaced. Shop said 4 weeks before they could do it. I did it in a day. A complete tune up on the v-6 inboard. I did that too in about 8 hours and saved about 600 bucks.
Recently paid a RV shop to replace the black tank valve, I guessed at 4 hours or more and less than 50 bucks I could do it, lying on my back in gravel in the 100 plus temps. The shop did it for 235.
I did a full tune up this year on my H3 since I could do it in the garage and wanted to learn more about the 5 cylinder engine they use. May have saved a 100 bucks, not sure.
Ford and other auto/RV shops are 5 min drive from home, if I had to travel an hour like to the boat shop to get stuff done I would do more myself.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:32 PM   #13
rhagfo

Well I have been turning my own wrenches since I was about 14. With my first cars it was to save money, then became habit, now it is therapeutic.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:17 PM   #14
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy240 View Post

There are some things Jimmy I'm willing to do myself, like changing the fuel and air filters, headlights/taillights, MASS Air sensor, etc., but I still let the local Grease Monkey change the oil and do other lubrication. A man's gotta know his limitations, or willingness to get dirty
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:30 AM   #15
RickV

When I bought the new truck Ford gave me 70 or 75000 of their reward points it basically covers the 7500, 15000 and 22500 services. Once I've used those up I will probably do my own unless on the road.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:49 AM   #16
notanlines

Most of the smaller town Ford dealers are in the 100-115 range for oil changes. Fair enough. We change every 5k religiously and fuel filters every 15k. Can I do it? Most certainly, but I'm not going to. And I do NOT want that damned diesel fuel running down my arm while changing the lift pump filter. Yes, I did do the filters one time. That was enough.
WOW, what brought on the big jump in the price of diesel air filters in the last few years? Thought I was going to have to get a part time job...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:57 AM   #17
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Most of the smaller town Ford dealers are in the 100-115 range for oil changes. Fair enough. We change every 5k religiously and fuel filters every 15k. Can I do it? Most certainly, but I'm not going to. And I do NOT want that damned diesel fuel running down my arm while changing the lift pump filter. Yes, I did do the filters one time. That was enough.
WOW, what brought on the big jump in the price of diesel air filters in the last few years? Thought I was going to have to get a part time job...

I switched to a k&n style washable filter for the boat engines…I was paying almost $100 a piece for the air filters..it’s ridiculous
Old 08-29-2021, 06:15 AM   #18
Jimmy240

I like hearing what ya’ll do or don’t do. I can respect anyone who makes a decision and sticks with it whether it be due to limitations, choice, or just plan out tired of doing it and getting dirty.
Jimmy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:32 AM   #19
Ken / Claudia

I take pride in doing lots of stuff on vehicles and around the house and maybe Russ said it best it's "therapeutic." If the project is to much like work, I pay someone.
My 88 year old neighbor and I had a talk about him mowing his yard. He enjoyed it until this summer and to him it became work. He now pays a guy who does several yards nearby. A month later, He told me he should have stopped mowing years ago.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:38 PM   #20
jfk69

Mechanical, I let others do. I’ll change an air or fuel filter, but like John, dealing with leftover oil is a PITA. Back in the day I wrenched on my vehicles, but as they got more complicated, I felt it was more than I wanted to tackle. Looking at my diesel, I don’t even want to attempt it. Just too much “stuff” in there, and you have to take out four things to get to what you wanted to work on.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, tow, tow vehicle