Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2021, 02:44 AM   #1
DaveAlb

Best Nav System for Heading to NE US

We’re heading from South Dakota to NE soon…New Hampshire, Maine, and so forth. What cell phone app or website would you all recommend for us to find the best and safest roads out there for campers? 😀
2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5l Powerboost
DaveAlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:59 AM   #2
markcee

You really want to use an RV specific app and/or device. These will allow you to input your rigs specs and in theory, not route you anywhere you can't get through. I use the Garmin RV890. In addition to routing, the Garmin will also provide live traffic information. Other apps I have tried previously are Co-Pilot GPS (the trucker's version) and the navigation app provided in conjunction with the RV Trip Wizard route planning application. Co-Pilot GPS was OK, but the interface was kind of cumbersome. While I like RV Trip Wizard for route planning, I had zero success getting their nav app to run consistently but YMMV.

Having said this, I definitely recommend using MULTIPLE apps/devices. We currently run with the Garmin and at least one of Google Maps, Apple Maps or Waze. I say this because you will run into route suggestions that are real head scratchers from time to time and you will definitely want to be able to check multiple sources. We recently had our Garmin trying to route us 2+ hours out of our way because it believed there was some traffic condition that required it. We found nothing of the sort in either Waze or Google along our current route so stuck with it.....no issue was found.

Finally, I mentioned the RV Trip Wizard (RVTW) app. This is a great tool (IMO) for trip planning. I suggest you download the trial version and give it a look.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:02 AM   #3
jxnbbl

In the spring when we traveled the eastcoast we settled on the built in UConnect navigation system in our RAM. It worked fine *except* height restrictions. Due to some detours, an even in our previous trip and one campground that emphasized only approach from one of 3 directions...and then having to drive in the middle of the road to get through the arch of a bridge. We decided the stress of the unknown was not worth it. So immediately after we bought a 'backup' system to have when in doubt (read driving back roads, etc) - Garmin RV780.

Once we got use to it and figured out a good placement in the truck, we found it to be an asset on our last trip from NH to Niagara with a stop over at Lake Placid thru Vermont and avoiding the ferries ....a number of covered bridges, etc.

Side note:

Prior to the decision - I had downloaded TruckMap and did some virtual 'test trips'. Although it would work it did not send me the routes I would have chosen (nor the other mapping software). It could have been my settings ?
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:31 AM   #4
DaveAlb

The Garmins look like they will take us to a level beyond what we have on our iPhone. I’ll have to pass this on to my navigator.🙂
Old 08-16-2021, 06:38 AM   #5
DaveAlb

Any experience with the RV Life gps?
Old 08-16-2021, 06:42 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlb View Post
The Garmins look like they will take us to a level beyond what we have on our iPhone. I’ll have to pass this on to my navigator.🙂
Just remember that any "navigation device" is only as good as its settings, which are controlled by the operator. A simple "click" changing the routing options from "shortest" to "fastest" can put you, literally, in the middle of a downtown plaza where no motorized vehicles are allowed just as easily as the "click" can put you at the end of a fishing dock on a river, miles from the nearest bridge......

The old saying, "a typewriter is always correct, it's the typist making the keystrokes that's faulty" is also true when it comes to Garmin, Tom Tom, Magellan or any other "device"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:53 AM   #7
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlb View Post
Any experience with the RV Life gps?
I believe that is the companion app to the RVTW router I mentioned. I tried to get it to run on my 'dumb' (no cell service) iPad using a stand alone GPS receiver, I had success with this setup using the CoPilot GPS app but no luck with RV Life. Never got around to trying it on my cell phone to see how it worked as I wanted a larger screen option.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #8
linux3

I really, really dislike google maps. It will send you down a dirt road to save 1/2 a mile.

I use Waze but check the route with the Rand McNally Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas. This is for truckers and if a semi will fit so will I.
Get the delux version that is plastic.

https://store.randmcnally.com/2022-d...BoCA3IQAvD_BwE
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #9
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Just remember that any "navigation device" is only as good as its settings, which are controlled by the operator......

I think the difference is exactly that. The apps that I normally use don't have settings for height/length/weight which limits them the TruckMap app that was free had those but made some pretty bad routing choices (imo)
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:34 AM   #10
Javi

Garmin trucker or rv GPS
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:53 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
I really, really dislike google maps. It will send you down a dirt road to save 1/2 a mile.

I use Waze but check the route with the Rand McNally Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas. This is for truckers and if a semi will fit so will I.
Get the delux version that is plastic.

https://store.randmcnally.com/2022-d...BoCA3IQAvD_BwE
That is the exact opposite of my experience!
Waze from my experience will have you make 3 left hand turns in order to go right.
With an F150, a 24-25' long, 10.5-11' tall RV you should have very little difficulty manuevering about anywhere you go.
As mentioned pick up a Motor Carriers Atlas at a truck stop, all highlighted roads are good for truck traffic with low clearances & other hazards listed in the front by state, you should easily be able go on any of them. Along with Google maps & your vehicle GPS, if equipped, you should be good to go.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #12
Roper46

I use the Garmin RV 785 and love it. But I am also a LONG time Garmin user.
Plan to also pick up the Motor Carrier's Atlas next stop at a truck stop.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #13
DaveAlb

Thanks for the solid advice!
Old 08-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Wouldn't consider anything other than an RV specific GPS. My garmin will route according to the length of the truck, the length of the trailer (avoids turning back towards an intersection with a radical angle), it knows the difference between a Parkway and a Highway (many restricktions on Parkways in the North East, it accounts for the weight, and for restrictions on LP bottles which is very common in tunnels in the Mid-Atlantic/ North East highway systems. It also warns me of sharp curves, state boundries, toll booths ahead and even bad weather.

Just my opinion but to me it's not rational to spend over $100K for a truck and camper and not protect it by buying a GPS.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:09 AM   #15
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
In the spring when we traveled the eastcoast we settled on the built in UConnect navigation system in our RAM. It worked fine *except* height restrictions. Due to some detours, an even in our previous trip and one campground that emphasized only approach from one of 3 directions...and then having to drive in the middle of the road to get through the arch of a bridge. We decided the stress of the unknown was not worth it. So immediately after we bought a 'backup' system to have when in doubt (read driving back roads, etc) - Garmin RV780.

Once we got use to it and figured out a good placement in the truck, we found it to be an asset on our last trip from NH to Niagara with a stop over at Lake Placid thru Vermont and avoiding the ferries ....a number of covered bridges, etc.

Side note:

Prior to the decision - I had downloaded TruckMap and did some virtual 'test trips'. Although it would work it did not send me the routes I would have chosen (nor the other mapping software). It could have been my settings ?

My same experience. Have the 780 and it’s been pretty good. TruckMap would freeze at critical ramp exits …had a small glitch on garmin going to Cape May but overall pretty solid. I had the rear view camera for it
but just replaced it with haloview rd7 miniview range dominator …fits in the furrian shark fin and works perfectly …it does have a wire you have to run under the trailer or on the roof with an antenna but it works great
Old 08-16-2021, 01:06 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
My same experience. Have the 780 and it’s been pretty good. TruckMap would freeze at critical ramp exits …had a small glitch on garmin going to Cape May but overall pretty solid. I had the rear view camera for it
but just replaced it with haloview rd7 miniview range dominator …fits in the furrian shark fin and works perfectly …it does have a wire you have to run under the trailer or on the roof with an antenna but it works great
is it raining up there?
Old 08-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #17
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
is it raining up there?
Nope….been cloudy but no rain..ocean is warm ..spent the morning about 45 min inland paddle boarding in a cypress swamp/pond. Then the afternoon in the ocean…dw getting ready to fix another fabulous meal…had steak,scallops and crab cakes all on the grill last night…not gonna be easy to outdo that one tonight but she is a great cook.

What’s your opinion on Cherrystone campground? Dw wants to go there.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:33 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

it's a BIG place. they have a lot of activities for kids. Speaking of kids, this place is overrun with them running wild. kids on bikes everywhere and running in the streets. I'm talking 5 and 6 yr. olds not looking. Between that and the couple of hundred golf carts you have to drive at less than a walking pace. No cable but a fair amount of OTA channels. WiFi ios hit or miss, not stable at all.

We got in after dark Sat. night just as the storms hit. Spent 1 1/2 hours in a back up east bound on the Bay Bridge so were late getting in. Rauined some last evening and night and this am but starting to clear up now.

Added on edit - no fire rings, so folks build fires where they want so there are several "soot and ash piles" to manmuver on the site. That I don't car for.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:37 PM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
it's a BIG place. they have a lot of activities for kids. Speaking of kids, this place is overrun with them running wild. kids on bikes everywhere and running in the streets. I'm talking 5 and 6 yr. olds not looking. Between that and the couple of hundred golf carts you have to drive at less than a walking pace. No cable but a fair amount of OTA channels. WiFi ios hit or miss, not stable at all.

We got in after dark Sat. night just as the storms hit. Spent 1 1/2 hours in a back up east bound on the Bay Bridge so were late getting in. Rauined some last evening and night and this am but starting to clear up now.
Yep you just sent it my way lol. Started raining after your post lol…..I read some reviews about that place or at least I think I did about people walking through campsites and a group of campers had to basically circle the wagons to keep tent campers from cutting right through…but I tried to find those reviews and can’t seem to locate them…I could have had a different place for all I know….we will probably give it a try though
Old 08-16-2021, 02:40 PM   #20
DaveAlb

Thanks everyone for your insight and wisdom.🖖