Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2020, 09:00 AM   #1
LadyFaire

Awning question

OK, this is the first camper I've had with an awning, and I would like some guidance.

Our awning is a motorized one, and I noticed on the lower arms, there was what looked like a slide adjustment. It does not collapse or expand when opening or closing the awning.

1st - IS it an adjustment?

2nd - If it IS an adjustment, can it be used to 'push' the front of the awning UP a bit higher? I like to park my truck under the awning (at home) to keep the heat down inside my truck, but the awning is too low, so I have to bring it in to put the truck in or out.

3rd - If it IS an adjustment, HOW do you use it? I have very gingerly pushed and pulled at the arm with the lock loosened and it didn't move a bit. The turn bolts/locks (what is the correct term?) on the arms at the 'adjustment' were tight on one end and loose on the other.

Anyone know about this? Appreciate any and all help.

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 30B
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR V6
TINSTAAFL - "there is no such thing as a free lunch" Any farmer can tell you:
"you don't work, you don't eat." It is that simple.
LadyFaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:17 AM   #2
LadyFaire

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200628_130301.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	28321

This is what I was trying to describe.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Is this your awning;

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometi...yABEgIa-PD_BwE

If so, those adjustment knobs will hold the awning DOWN. You can use one of them to tilt the awning to one end for water run off or use them both to lower the entire awning to obtain more shade on the door/side of the trailer. I've found the easiest way it to grasp the outer awning arm at the V where it joins the upper awning arm then pull it down/in. While holding it in the desired position just tighten the knob. You cannot raise it past the limits of the slot in the adjustment bar without substantial modification to the awning mounting itself.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
LadyFaire

No, mine is different. I posted a picture probably the exact same time you were responding.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

If you loosen the knob you can pull the arm down and tilt the awning. Just be sure to loosen both of them before you roll the awning back up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:25 AM   #6
LadyFaire

OK, so it won't do what I'd like it to do. Rats. Once we get our 'carport' built, I won't have to try to shade the truck, but until then if the weather is mild, I'll extend the awning to both keep it dry and to shade the side of the camper and my truck. That is the west side of our property, and can get very warm in the summer. The awning is not in the best of shape - it is 7 years old and the previous owners let mold and mildew grow on the fabric. It was literally black on the underside and took some elbow grease to get it white again.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:12 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

BE CAREFUL PARKING UNDER ANY ELECTRIC AWNING WITH GAS SHOCKS !!!!!

Any wind gust will collapse the awning arms, cause the awning to "flap in the wind" and if your truck is parked under the awning, the roof or the sides of the bed could get "nailed by the awning arms"...…

The new electric awnings aren't like the old manual awnings that had side supports that locked the awning in position, so it just "rattled in the wind"... The new ones can move several feet up and down in a gusty wind.... I wouldn't park under it with any truck I didn't want to repaint !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
LadyFaire

Thank you for the warning! We keep a close eye on the weather, and parked the camper in an area that is actually very protected - Lots of trees on one side (with a 2 story house behind the trees), a large 'shed' behind, and our 2 story house on the other side. Even with the 'protections' of those factors, we are very careful to close up the awning if ANY threat of storms is a possibility. If we are going to be away from the house for more than an hour, we close up everything, awning first. I'd rather be too paranoid than the other way around, and have the camper safe.

Tags
awning