Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #21
Atlsouth56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Returned to our fifth wheel today in central FL after a 4 week absence.

It was left hooked up to power with a Progressive Industries surge protector, water hooked up, turned off at the source, Direct tv dish tripod mounted and hooked up. Everything was turned off except the rear A/C set on 85.

When we returned nothing was on and the main breaker inside the unit was tripped. Here is what we found; Main TV won't come on, Electric side of water heater trips circuit breaker, Main A/C, nope no work, and yes that wonderful 18 cu ft 4-door Norcold Refrigator is dead on all functions, full of food, in 90+ heat for 10 days or so. Where the power cable attaches to the Fifth Wheel the Ground Contacts were lightly welded together. A while back someone challenged the design of the new style power cord connectors grounding method, I think it worked well as designed.

The bright side, we pray for those in the path of the storms, we are so lucky and it looks like Progressive will take care of it. Yes it looks like a Lightning strike, probably not direct, but who knows. The neighbors are confirming this, they all thought they were the ones hit.

The interesting find is that Progressive Industries surge protectors have a disclaimer that protects them from any damages. Wow, they could care less if there product works or not in protecting your RV or you.

The Mobile Toy Doctors are coming out tomorrow to assess the damages and fix what they can.
When you ground your landing gear and stabilizers you give a path for lightening to travel into your rv which would trip breakers and fry electronics in the rv. Putting rubber or wood under the pads will lessen lightening traveling into your rv but as others have posted if the lightening strikes close or directly there is nothing out there that will protect your rv.
Atlsouth56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #22
Tatanka Ob Waci

Lightning Strike

When bought our 2014 Raptor in 2015. Brought it home and parked it in the driveway. Had it plugged into the house and took a lightning strike. Knocked out all electronics except fridge. Insurance paid for repairs and immediately afterwards we obtained a surge protector. Sales people should advise new buyers about this issue. Havent had any trouble since.
Tatanka Ob Waci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlsouth56 View Post
When you ground your landing gear and stabilizers you give a path for lightening to travel into your rv which would trip breakers and fry electronics in the rv. Putting rubber or wood under the pads will lessen lightening traveling into your rv but as others have posted if the lightening strikes close or directly there is nothing out there that will protect your rv.
Actually the ground conductor on the shore power would do that.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:46 PM   #24
BAPotter

Flybouy, similar situation in So. Florida 50 yrs ago, similar tree, ran from the tree and dug a trench 6" deep, blew a 2' diameter hole in a concrete block house, totally destroyed the bed next to the wall. Nobody in the bed, thankfully.
BAPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Powerful stuff. In our S&B house our next door neighbor was in his garage. He had just let go of his extension ladder hanging on the wall, about 2' from the service panel. Lightning hit the satellite dish on the roof above. It followed the ground wire down, entered the garage and lite up the extension ladder like a Tesla coil. The strike followed the underground service cable and blew out one leg. He was very lucky to be alive.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #26
Frank G

More Updates. We are so lucky, we have a few new couples in the resort from the Panhandle that lost everything living in friends and family units. We are still without a inside refrigerator, more parts tomorrow. The Direct TV man will also be here tomorrow. The DVD side of the Furreon entertainment center is fried along with the Fire Stick. We have checked all the slides and the awning. Tomorrow we will check the Leveling system with the technician present and plug in the trailer lights. Hopefully we find everything. The Insurance company is coming back this week to assess the new found damage.

As these units become more complex with electrical gadgets, it is extremely important to check everything out, I am amazed to find electronic devices partially impaired.

We had a Progressive Industries Surge suppressor on the unit, it is still working correctly according to the lights. I do not think the Lightning (surge) entered through the pedestal. Do not know how it entered, there are no visible marks.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #27
14george

Thanks for the update
Old 10-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #28
fjr vfr

We had a Progressive Industries Surge suppressor on the unit, it is still working correctly according to the lights. I do not think the Lightning (surge) entered through the pedestal. Do not know how it entered, there are no visible marks.[/QUOTE]

As stated previously, Lightning will energize the air surrounding where the lightning strikes. It does not need to enter. It does not need to make a direct path through your RV. Air is turned into a plasma full of electrons. Electrically fragile solid state components can be fried from contact with the air alone.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:56 AM   #29
Paultherock

Electrical management system
Paultherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:24 AM   #30
cookinwitdiesel

Well this thread is scaring the crap out of me haha. Time to go get the EMS out of the box in my house and plug it in-line with the trailer in my driveway plugged into a 30A shore line
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:12 AM   #31
Rctarvin

Exclamation Lightning Rod Y or N

Hello, I am new to full time RV living. My 2022 Cougar is fully hooked up to my son's utilities, etc. I have a power surge protector. My question is do RV's add a lightning rod to the roof of the RV? Here in NC last weekend lightning struck feet away from my RV. Any advise folks? Thank you kindly. Rachel
Rctarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:19 AM   #32
wiredgeorge

They do not put lightning rods on camper roofs. A power surge protector is generally not the answer to keeping trailers safe from electrical problems. Most folks will use an Electrical Management System (EMS) which protects from many other issues other than surges and can save expensive electrical components in an RV. If you are full timing, I really recommend an EMS. What make/model of surge protector are you using? And welcome to the site!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 12:01 PM   #33
Canonman

Welcome Rachel,
A surge protector is better than nothing but the EMS is a LOT better. A lightning rod is not necessary, mostly because the chance of a lightning strike is, for most houses, quite low. However, most high buildings and other structures do have some kind of lightning protection system incorporated into them.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:21 PM   #34
Rctarvin

RV Surge Protector 50 amp, POWSAF RV Power Defender Voltage Protector/Monitor with Surge Protection(4100 Joules), Designed with Easy to Use. Is the surge protector I’m using. I’ll definitely get an EMS. Thanks everyone.
Rctarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:31 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rctarvin View Post
RV Surge Protector 50 amp, POWSAF RV Power Defender Voltage Protector/Monitor with Surge Protection(4100 Joules), Designed with Easy to Use. Is the surge protector I’m using. I’ll definitely get an EMS. Thanks everyone.

Is this the unit you have?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/POWSAF-RV...ctor/209719468

If so it is a surge protector vs EMS (electrical management system). This particular unit has LEDs to let you know of certain abnormal conditions but does nothing about them nor does it alert you unless you're looking at the LEDs. It provides surge protection only which is generally not what's going to ruin your "stuff" or hurt you.

There are several brands of EMS (which you need) so read up on them. The 2 most popular (my instant brain calculation which may or may not be correct on any given day LOL) are the Surge Guard by Southwire and units from Progressive;

https://www.campingworld.com/ems-pt5...on-102485.html

https://www.campingworld.com/southwi...or-118087.html

Another one mentioned is a Huges Watchdog. I have not used one but I have seen one - at night they are very bright.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hughes-Au...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

The websites for each of these manufacturers give you a much better spec description than I find in these ads.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 03:29 PM   #36
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Is this the unit you have?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/POWSAF-RV...ctor/209719468

If so it is a surge protector vs EMS (electrical management system). This particular unit has LEDs to let you know of certain abnormal conditions but does nothing about them nor does it alert you unless you're looking at the LEDs. It provides surge protection only which is generally not what's going to ruin your "stuff" or hurt you.

There are several brands of EMS (which you need) so read up on them. The 2 most popular (my instant brain calculation which may or may not be correct on any given day LOL) are the Surge Guard by Southwire and units from Progressive;

https://www.campingworld.com/ems-pt5...on-102485.html

https://www.campingworld.com/southwi...or-118087.html

Another one mentioned is a Huges Watchdog. I have not used one but I have seen one - at night they are very bright.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hughes-Au...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

The websites for each of these manufacturers give you a much better spec description than I find in these ads.
Really good price on the Progressive 50A EMS. Noted on eBay most were over $600 now (ouch). Also point out that the Progressive unit has another model with the same features that installs inside the camper by the power center if a person prefers this type of thing. Some folks prefer this type unit.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light