Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
Coconutz

fresh water tank leak?

noticed a fair amount of water coming out near (but not out of) the fresh water drain on the underside of my hideout 232. the drain hose is held in place by what looks like spray foam, and the water drips through that. Not sure if there is a vent hole there and thus nothing to worry about, or if something is broken or cracked. I don't want to go digging for nothing, but I'm not familiar with the fresh water tank setup on a TT. and I can't find any diagrams

Coconutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If the water is clean, then one could assume it's the fresh tank. Problem is water can travel before finding an exit.

The expanding foam is just to seal the hole made in the coroplast for the drain. Peel it off and see if you can identify if the leak is there or another spot. If it's not clearly there, then you need to start removing screws along the frame, pull the coroplast down and see if you can follow the "river" marks. Once you find the source, you can formulate a plan to fix the leak.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
chartrand

Your going to want to get a look at that and see where the leak is. I would remove a few screws from chloroplast underbelly and stick your cell phone camera up there and take some pictures to try and identify the leak. I've had two with my fresh water tank.

The first was the fill hose broke where they put the end on it. Best guess they heated the hose to get it over the fitting and used to much heat and creating a thin wall which over time broke through when filling it.

The second was me putting a few screws through it while installing my BAL Hide-a-Spare. I ended up using a milk carton and plastic welded the holes in. Worked like a champ.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:35 AM   #4
jsmith948

On our trailer, the Pex tubing that makes up the fresh water drain is threaded into the bottom of the tank. It had worked loose (probably from me loosening the drain cap without holding onto the tubing to prevent it from spinning) and was leaking. Carefully re-tightened and all is good.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
Coconutz

Thanks, I'll take a look tonight with those suggestions in mind. I'll let you know what I find.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:11 AM   #6
Coconutz

Well that was a fun experiment. First, all the screws that hold up the plastic...are pointed in the wrong direction, by this I mean all I could see was the business end, but I was able to work a few out and get a good look underneath. I didn't see any water and the drain connection looked and felt tight, so I added some more water (had about a 1/3 in it) ran the pump, all the faucets, ran a hose over the TT and could not duplicate the issue.

Then I thought about the drive and came to this conclusion: while driving we ran through a pretty heavy rain storm, I'm now thinking the problem was paranoia...its possible water got between the plastic protective sheet and hung out there for a while and then dripped out over time making it look like a leak of some sort, the lowest point under there besides going through the drain is through the foam insulation.

Just wanted to update you and put my embarrassment out there for all to see :P

Old 08-05-2016, 04:21 AM   #7
jsmith948

We ran through some torrential rain between Wells and Jackpot a couple of years ago. The spray from the wheels got into the underbelly through all of the gaps around the spring hangers. Pulled the Coroplast down and allowed it to dry/air out then covered all of the gaps around the suspension parts and gaps along the edge of the frame with Gorilla tape. No problems since. Clean everything with alcohol so the tape sticks.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:52 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

No reason for any embarrassment. We have completed PDI's for a sale, put the unit on the wash rack and when we move it to the first bay for walk through, found water running out.

At that point we go into rush mode, and after removing a bunch of screws, usually find that our detail guy went a little extra with the pressure washer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote