Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2016, 05:53 AM   #1
jsmith948

Low trees

Just read a thread by Desert185 regarding cordless pole mounted chain saws that got me to thinking about our upcoming trip into Jarbidge, NV to visit my DB. The road into Jarbidge from Murphy's Hot springs is 18 miles of winding dirt/gravel road that follows the Jarbidge River. There are numerous Pinion Pines and Aspen trees along the river side of the road and, while the road sees cattle trucks from time to time and many motor homes and trailers, I am concerned about roof damage. I am thinking of somehow mounting a fiberglass pole (surf casting pole?) that would be visible from the drivers seat and indicate if the tree branches are too low.
My DB assures me there won't be a problem, but, he pulls a TT. I've driven the road many times, but, never have taken the 5er in there. Perhaps I'm being OCD. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:16 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Many roads have small branches overhanging the roadway. They seem "innocent enough", small enough not to scrape the trailer and many of us pay them little enough attention. However, even a small 1/4" diameter branch is enough to catch the TV antenna, and, if at the right angle, not snap when "stressed" and actually pull the antenna off the roof. Small "twigs" can snap a gutter downspout, catch under the refrigerator vent and hang in the awning. Sometimes they don't cause any damage, other times, not so lucky....

You're right to be concerned, watching for anything that is "too close for comfort" is smart, but I don't know that I'd be so overly cautious as to build a "Rube Goldberg" kind of apparatus to mount on the trailer.

We just got back from camping in a very remote campground, 13 miles of "two-track" in and the same distance out. The roadway is lined with low overhanging trees, "too close for comfort" boulders along the roadbed and ruts "big enough to swallow a small SUV". With careful driving, occasionally getting out to check and heightened "situational awareness", we made it in and out without any "close calls".

Oh, and the fishing was awesome !!!!! We were the only campers there and had the lake "all to ourselves" !!!

Just be careful and pay attention to the roadway, you'll be OK.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:20 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not sure about mounting a pole on the truck permanently to try to track the height of possible problematic trees. Would a telescoping measuring pole work? It retracts to about 5' or so and telescopes over 20'. Lightweight. Just pull it out, set it on the ground and run it up to whatever you're measuring; takes about 2 minutes. Link below (VERY long):

https://www.google.com/search?q=tele...TkfOdURk8lM%3A
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:08 AM   #4
Desert185

I live in western NV where Piñon and Aspen are also the predominate trees. Piñon tend to be smaller and (generally) not a threat to the roof, but they can hurt the sides of the trailer, especially if dead. There are big Piñon, though. I've gotten almost two cords of wood from one tree.

Aspen, of course, are larger and tend to be gentle with more flexible, verticle branches.

Having said that, what I would do is have DB meet you at the beginning of his road and you, armed with a pole saw, ride with him to his house, trimming trees along the way.

Said pole saw allowed us to get into this particular camping spot in a Piñon forest. It is going to be required equipment for our boondocking.

Let us know how your generator performed at that elevation. Jarbidge is forecast to be in the 70's and 80's with occasional thunderstorms the next ten days, so those temps at that elevation should be a good test period.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

I think your idea would work if you want to do it. I only think the problem is if you are traveling at any speed at all. On a public roadway, how to you just stop, maybe not seeing a vehicle close behind. And can you get stopped before the limb hits the trailer. ODOT guys have poles with a flat cross part on top and push up lines and limbs, than continue.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #6
jsmith948

The road is really a one lane gravel road with intermittent spots wide enough to allow vehicles to pass. 18 Miles at 10 to 15 mph. On most of our visits (without the trailer) we never see another car.
Maybe I'll get the DW to drive while I ride in the bed and act as spotter.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #7
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I think your idea would work if you want to do it. I only think the problem is if you are traveling at any speed at all. On a public roadway, how to you just stop, maybe not seeing a vehicle close behind. And can you get stopped before the limb hits the trailer. ODOT guys have poles with a flat cross part on top and push up lines and limbs, than continue.
My thought was to park the rig and take the DB's car/truck to trim the trees. When done, drive the trailer through.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:07 AM   #8
bsmith0404

I've never taken my rig into an area that had that problem, but remember many adventures fishing in Canada when I was a kid that had terrible roads with overgrown trees. My mom would drive and my dad would get out a trim trees along the way to protect the sides of the truck and camper. Dad was a bit more aggressive than using a pole saw to cut back a few branches, he used a chainsaw and cut off entire limbs if needed, but that was back in the 70s. My point, it went along pretty quick with mom driving and dad jumping out to take care of a tree branch when needed.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote