Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
GregD

Inlet city water pressure regulator needed?

Hello, I have a 2009 Cougar 318SAB that I just purchased last summer. I used a water pressure regulator at the city water inlet connection, but was wondering if one is really needed. I notice that the water lines appear to be 1/2" PEX and it says that it is rated at 160 PSI at 73 degrees F ,100 PSI at 180 degrees F, and 80 PSI at 200 degrees F. With that in mind, I'm not sure about all of the fixtures such as the toilet and shower faucets. If I do need to use one, is there an adjustable regulator that I can use? Sometimes the shower water pressure seems really weak and that's why I am asking. Thanks for the help!!!
GregD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
canesfan

The pex itself may be rated at that but there are other things that may not be. I've always understood around 55 PSI or so on modern rigs is safe, but I am not a plumber. That said I've never blown out any plumbing in many years except a black tank flush vacumn breaker and they have their own issues.

You can buy a good adjustable regulator for around $50 online, check Amazon or your favorite place.

As for the shower, there are lots of threads and photos on here about that, if you unscrew your hose at the faucet you'll most likely see a little plastic piece with a tiny hole in it limiting the water flow. You can drill that out if you like, suggest a little at a time.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
bobbecky

If you turn on your pump to run the shower, does the shower pressure improve? If so, then you probably do have low pressure on the street side coming in. The fixed regulators cut the flow a bit, and they do have higher flow fixed regulators available, so that may be an option if you still want the protection of a regulator, short of buying an adjustable one. We've been in parks that tell you at the desk, 'don't connect without a regulator because the pressure is over 100 psi', and then we've been in parks where running the pump to shower and doing the dishes is a regular thing. You just have to remember to fill the fresh tank daily.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
GregD

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
The pex itself may be rated at that but there are other things that may not be. I've always understood around 55 PSI or so on modern rigs is safe, but I am not a plumber. That said I've never blown out any plumbing in many years except a black tank flush vacumn breaker and they have their own issues.

You can buy a good adjustable regulator for around $50 online, check Amazon or your favorite place.

As for the shower, there are lots of threads and photos on here about that, if you unscrew your hose at the faucet you'll most likely see a little plastic piece with a tiny hole in it limiting the water flow. You can drill that out if you like, suggest a little at a time.
Thanks for the reply canesfan. I agree with you on the pex. I did find an adjustable regulator that had good reviews. A lot of the reviewers said that even though it regulates the pressure down, it still allows a larger volume of water to flow, unlike some of the cheaper regulators. I'm going to get one and give it a try this spring and update this to let people know if it helped or not. As for the showerhead, I changed it over to the Body Spa with oxygenics that did seem to help a little bit.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
GregD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
If you turn on your pump to run the shower, does the shower pressure improve? If so, then you probably do have low pressure on the street side coming in. The fixed regulators cut the flow a bit, and they do have higher flow fixed regulators available, so that may be an option if you still want the protection of a regulator, short of buying an adjustable one. We've been in parks that tell you at the desk, 'don't connect without a regulator because the pressure is over 100 psi', and then we've been in parks where running the pump to shower and doing the dishes is a regular thing. You just have to remember to fill the fresh tank daily.
Thanks for the reply bobbecky. I never did try to run the pump while showering. I will give it a try this spring. We have our 5th wheel out at Holiday Camplands in Andover, OH right now, and the water pressure seems okay out of the main connection, but I don't know the psi. I am going to get an adjustable regulator and boost it to around 55psi and see how that feels. I will post back later this spring when I get out there to test it.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Greg, Consider that you have a maximum of 6 gallons of hot water to shower. The more volume of water you use per minute (higher flow) the faster your water will get cold and the faster your holding tanks will fill. There's a "fine line" between a "good shower" and a "adequate shower". I don't know of anyone who has come up with a way to get a "home shower" in an RV. Oxygenics is the best we've been able to do and still be able to dry camp for any length of time given the limited water/holding tank compromise.

Keep in mind that you can't "boost" your water pressure with a regulator, you can't get out of it any more than you put into it. A regulator will decrease pressure, but won't increase pressure.

A good regulator, similar to this one, will help, but it's still not like "at home". Watts supposedly makes the best "all around RV regulator". It is much like this one from CW.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ead-free/49511

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
GregD

Thanks for the reply JRTJH. I did see that regulator, and I also found this one,

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...10#readreviews

that says it is a hi flow regulator, which I do not see listed on the one you showed me. I am mostly going to be camping at campgrounds with full hookups, so I won't have to worry about conserving water at this time. After reading the reviews of the hi flow regulator, most of the people said it definitely increased the water pressure and the water flow. I think I may try that one first to see how it works! Thanks!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Sounds great, Greg. Keep us posted on how the regulator works for you. I'm sure other members will be facing the same "issue" in the future and knowing your thoughts will certainly help with their choices.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #9
BirchyBoy

Every time I come here I find something else I'll need before striking out on trips...
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
AlpineOppa

Good info guys. I wouldn't have thought of checking the pump pressure vs city pressure to get a good base line.
AlpineOppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #11
Travler

How long can I expect a regulator to last..I am thinking on one with a gauge that I can monitor or for that matter change..Its a little extra but piece of mind doesn't come cheap..
Ext cab short bed
6 liter gas..3:73
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #12
shmthaus

What about using a water filter on the city side? Will it restrict the flow also?

I normally use a regulator, but was wondering if both would restrict it too much.

I decided to get an inline filter after the first trip in our Raptor. The screen had some crud on it and I worry about the fresh water getting polluted.

I don't think it was our hose since i flush it before I use it.

2014 Raptor 412TS
2010 Ford F250 4x4
shmthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Brass regulator will outlast your trailer. No need for a gauge IMO. Just put it on the parks end and you'll know your hose is good. Filter shouldn't restrict pressure until the element starts clogging.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #14
fred1609

I use a watts regulator I bought on Amazon.....Good price...has a guage and an adjustment screw on top.....
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:38 AM   #15
Terry W.

Here in s what I use and am happy with water pressure and flow. A whole house water regulator, larger opening more flow same pressure. And a 10" water filter permenantly mounted plumbed on with 3/4" PVC. Pictures on my album.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-29_14-09-35_331.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	6482   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	6483  
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #16
GregD

Well I finally got around to posting an answer. I purchased this regulator
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...10#readreviews
and it did improve the pressure, but like everyone else was stating, it's not like your home's shower pressure, but it was definitely better. I am happy with the results, so this is the way for me! Hope this helps!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #17
Ram189

Only difference I noticed with mine with the regulator on it is the black tank flush did not work as well.

When we got done camping I took the regulator off and the flush worked much better without it.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram189 View Post
Only difference I noticed with mine with the regulator on it is the black tank flush did not work as well.

When we got done camping I took the regulator off and the flush worked much better without it.
Use caution applying a lot of pressure to the black tank flush system. The "weakest link" is the anti-siphon valve that is usually located under the bathroom sink. It's made of plastic and has a reputation for leaking or breaking at the most inconvenient times. Some (not all) campgrounds can have water pressure at the RV hookup of over 100 PSI. Most RV's are rated at less than 60 PSI and that anti-siphon valve doesn't have a rating stamped on it or in the literature I've seen, so who knows when it may decide to go 'pop"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #19
GregD

My black tank flush is not connected to the main water line and has it's own water connection that is near the dump handles so I assume I should be okay with the water pressure. I had a small water leak from the hose connected to the black tank and pulled the underbelly panel down to fix it and followed the single hose to the external water connection to check for other leaks. Should I limit this water pressure also or is it okay to use full pressure???
Old 07-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #20
outwest

The water filter I use definitely reduces the water flow to the trailer, but it's a 5 micron filter (most exterior filters that I've seen are 10 or larger). Still, though, I don't trust it to reduce it to proper pressure and use a regulator.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote