Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #21
SAABDOCTOR

wow this is some discussion!count to 10 turn and fire! i see why fly guy got upset when i posted something sorry about that. Modern machine and design diesels can be started and stopped with out damage!! metalurgy has improved as well as fit and finish! and yes every engine gas or diesel is subject to a breakdown it is a machine.like i said before. do your research and pick what will work for you not me! do not short change yourself on capasity load and brakes.. and you will not be unhappy. i love my dodge dually it pulls and stops great when loaded when empty it shakes the rocks in my head but i deal with it. to soften the ride up when empty i lower the tire pressures abit. it helps
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #22
Bushman512000

That a Boy Get Him

All is well lol Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #23
Bluewater

I agree with "fla". My 8.1 liter 496cu in gas GMC w/ allison is a pulling beast. As a long box it has a 34 gallon tank so not so many fuel stops. Plus it's paid for long ago. But if I were to buy new i would have to do some serious research and do the math on this issue. Good luck.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:24 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

At a different time in our life, we towed long distances regularly, now, we usually have several short trips (less than 100 miles) and only one summer vacation of about 2000 miles. Living in northern Michigan, owning a small garage to park in, having limited towing needs, our need for a diesel has diminished significantly. I might add, the desire is still there, but practicality just doesn't support the added expense.

"Back when" we had a NA diesel which was a DOG at high altitudes, followed by a turbo diesel which was a dream to tow with. But in reality, with the turbo, we got 18MPG solo and about 11 towing. With our current F150 we get about 19 solo and about 11 towing. For us, without the need for a heavier tow vehicle and the limited towing needs, the extra expense of a diesel just doesn't add up.

I think every potential "purchaser" should do his own math and if the math adds up to a diesel, one should seriously consider that option, however, not everyone can (or should) justify a diesel as an "only option"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote