Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
Tharrison

Question Towing improvements with 3p hitch

Hello.

My wife and I are returning to trailer camping after a 10 year hiatus. We had a pop up for years when our kids were young, then sold it as they became older and lost interest. A typical story, I am sure.

Now, with no kids in the house, we want to get a TT. The plan is an extended trip through western national parks next summer, after some weekend trips in preparation.

Our tow vehicle is a 2013 Explorer with factory towing. It is a given as we need it as a daily driver too. It is rated at 5000 lb. tow, 500 hitch, 10200 gross. Our next step is to buy a hitch, then get the TT which is the best compromise between our wants and what we can safely tow.

I am strongly leaning toward a 3P hitch. Pricey but it seems to offer a very big comfort factor in towing with regard to sway.

Our ideal TT is the new Premier 22RBPR. Specs are 500 lb. hitch weight, 4520 dry weight, 25ft+ length. Clearly too much with a traditional WD hitch. I have been told that a 3P will allow this as a safe combination. We are interested in experienced opinions to help us in this decision.

Thanks in advance.

Terry
Tharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
dave-g

I have never used a 3p hitch- ( I had to look it up) but I did use a Reese wd hitch on a mini van towing a 3500 lb tt with fantastic results. I would not think a 4500-6000 trailer would be out of the range of a good dual cam Reese wd hitch.

But looking a a 4500 dry weight- you could be over you trailer rating quick- Just filling the water tank would put you near max weight.

Good luck.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Loui

3P Hitch

I used a 3P hitch for two years before we moved to 5th wheel.

In my opinion the best hitch available for towing a travel trailer, virtually eliminates any chance of sway.

I first used it to tow a 30ft TT with a Chev Trailblazer worked like a dream.

Last summer we took the TT about 5000 miles through Tennessee and back up the eastern US coast to Ontario on a 4 week trip, never had any sway issues at all.

Cheers

Montana 3685FL
Chev, D/A
Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
chris199

You have to assume several hundred more pounds on hitch wgt. Add propane, chairs, stuff...it adds up quickly. Same with wgt of TT....It will be more than published.

Propride 3P nd Hensley hitches are the best. Coin toss for me but went with the Hensley. Initially, hookup was pinful but have it down now...not bad at all. Be prepared for some frustration but you will get the hng of it. Tip: put hitch bar into hitch, adjust struts to get bar at correct ngle/pitch to receiver....then move the hitch bar into truck hitch and then couple up. Simplifies things tremendously.

While Hensley and Propride will tell you that their hitches will allow you to tow more wgt than your TV is rated for...stay within your weight limits....esp axle weights.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Do these two hitches, the Hensley and Propride 3P, really allow you to tow more weight than what your TV is rated for? Their claim that they greatly reduce swaying seems to be borne out by those who have them and by all accounts they are outstanding products and do what they were designed to do.

I would be surprised however, if these two manufacturers would tell you that, if you buy and install one of our hitches, that it would be ok to exceed your limits. That would be irresponsible.

I have a 5th wheel and am not familiar enough with either of these hitches to make an informed opinion but it would seem that if Tharrison's Explorer is not up to safely towing that TT for example, what difference would it make what kind of hitch he installed? There may be a noticeable difference in sway but there are other factors that come into play that may negate having either a Hensley or a Propride P3 which would result in a poor match and an unsafe towing situation.

Comments??
Old 08-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Tharrison

Some further considerations

I was especially interested in comments of folks who have used these. The claim is that the 3p removes some of the hitch weight, as the TT is carried more level with the TV. The real concern for me is the increase in overall weight, as one still must deal with that. However, I have also been told that a moderate increase in TT weight is inconsequential with the TV and TT acting as a single unit. Total combined weight of TT and TV is still in play.

Terry
Tharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
Loui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharrison View Post
I was especially interested in comments of folks who have used these. The claim is that the 3p removes some of the hitch weight, as the TT is carried more level with the TV. The real concern for me is the increase in overall weight, as one still must deal with that. However, I have also been told that a moderate increase in TT weight is inconsequential with the TV and TT acting as a single unit. Total combined weight of TT and TV is still in play.

Terry
The 3P hitch will not remove any hitch weight, the equalizers will do the same as any other load equalizing system can do. the actual hitch adds about 150lbs to the tongue weight. When you order the hitch Sean will make sure you get the correct equalizer bars for your trailer weight.
I don't think Pro-Pride will tell you that you can tow more weight than what your vehicle is rated to tow.
I used the 3P on one trip with my 3/4 ton Silverado , Duramax/Alliston and I would have kept the hitch if I still had a travel trailer.

The real gem about the 3P is it will not let your trailer sway it tows very similar to a fifth wheel.
On one trip My wife and I were traveling a county road passing a cemetery, there was a truck on the shoulder of the road and a fellow cutting the grass.
A 2 year old girl came out on the road from in front of the truck right in front of me. I needed to swerve into the on coming lane to miss her with the Trailblazer,3P hitch and a 4200lb, 30 ft long TT, I said to my wife "the hitch just paid for it self"

If your looking for a good hitch then the 3P or Hensley is the way to go.

Cheers

Montana 3685FL
Chev, D/A
Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
drifter101

Go for Reese, check this site:
http://www.hitchanything.com/
drifter101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
22rbpr, 3p hitch explorer