Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2022, 09:10 AM   #1
dpop

Certain outlets not working

I have a 2021 Cougar 25RDSWE. I’m plugged in at a site and have been living in it for about 1.5 months now. I had a space heater and my fireplace on through the night. Woke up to my fireplace off. (This setup had been working fine for weeks.) Now the fireplace, water heater, the outlet under my dinette and the outlet on my slide out don’t work. Both the gfci outlets work. I’ve turned off and back on all the breakers and reset both gfci outlets. Called keystone and they told me to turn the battery disconnect off. Did that and no change.
Anyone have any insight or experience with this?

When this first happened I turned off/on the breakers and everything started working again (!!). But they turned off again after using just the space heater one night.

Is it the space heater? Why does the outlet the heater’s plugged into (and the heater) still work?
dpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:55 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm unsure if you have a 30 amp or a 50 amp shore power system. The water heater is on a separate circuit breaker from the outlets, so it sounds like you're losing power to more than one circuit breaker.

If you have a 50 amp power system, I'd check the campground pedestal plug to make sure it's in good condition, check your shore power plug pins for any evidence of pitting or arcing. Use a volt meter to confirm that you have power at the input lugs to the circuit breaker connecting lugs.

If you have a 30 amp power system, check the circuit breakers to make sure you have power through them, to the ROMEX wire attached to the circuit breaker.

Then, with either amperage power system, check the actual plugs with a volt meter to confirm that power is/is not present at the plug. RV's use a "quick and fast blade system to make electrical contact with the plug/ROMEX and that connection is extremely prone to loosening and causing electrical problems at that plug AND at all plugs further down the line on that circuit breaker....

But, again, if you have a 50 amp shore power system, the first check I'd do is to make sure BOTH legs of power are present in the circuit breaker box inside your trailer power distribution center.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:06 AM   #3
travelin texans

The battery disconnect will have nothing to do with the 120 volt plugs, but with it turned off your batteries won't be charging. Once the batteries are dead your water heater, fridge (if absorption type), water pump, furnace, lights & anything else 12 volt powered will be running off of the converter which would eventually strain it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:28 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Have you looked at the plug on the spaceheater? Notice any melted areas or discoloration on the prongs? From your description my guess would be the fireplace and the space heater were on the same breaker. Once a cord/plug on a space heater overheats it takes less and less time for it to trip a breaker as the resistance from the plug damage increases.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 10:33 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Sounds like you may have initially tried to run a space heater on the same circuit as the fireplace (don't) and tripped a breaker. What has happened since is unclear but I would check your EMS and see if maybe you're losing one leg of a 50A service.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:14 PM   #6
dpop

I have 50amp power for the trailer. I don’t have a volt meter, so I’m gunna get one and then check the shore power. Thank you @jrtjh
Old 01-25-2022, 12:17 PM   #7
dpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The battery disconnect will have nothing to do with the 120 volt plugs, but with it turned off your batteries won't be charging. Once the batteries are dead your water heater, fridge (if absorption type), water pump, furnace, lights & anything else 12 volt powered will be running off of the converter which would eventually strain it.
I meant turn the battery disconnect on - as in the battery needs to be on. The battery disconnect terminology confuses me - saying the disconnect is on sounds like it’s disconnected to me ��. Thanks @travelintexans
Old 01-25-2022, 12:27 PM   #8
dpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Have you looked at the plug on the spaceheater? Notice any melted areas or discoloration on the prongs? From your description my guess would be the fireplace and the space heater were on the same breaker. Once a cord/plug on a space heater overheats it takes less and less time for it to trip a breaker as the resistance from the plug damage increases.
It looks maybe damaged - attached a pic. The breakers have never been “tripped” as in in the off position. I’ve just been turning them off and back on again.
But if I unplug the space heater and then turn the breaker off and on, shouldn’t it be ok? @flybouy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CED23E3C-DC8A-49D4-8B14-71FF5AAE440A.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	38027   Click image for larger version

Name:	0F9D8161-4E48-4351-8992-B54FCE0C2AA7.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	38028  
Old 01-25-2022, 12:30 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

When a breaker “trips” it won’t flip all the way to off. It can look like it’s still on and until you manually turn it all the way off and turn it back on, it won’t operate correctly.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:27 PM   #10
rhagfo

Well I agree with those that say sounds like you lost one of the two legs of our 50 amp circuit. Could be a bad outlet at the pedestal or a bad breaker. You need check the plug end of your power cable also, make sure not burned or pitted.

I dislike portable heaters, but your plug looks good, the signs of over heating are the plastic starting to melt.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:57 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Russ. Your space heater plug looks OK to me. If it were overheated, corroded or damaged, it would show signs of melted plastic near where the pin enters the plastic. This photo is just one sample of a "overheated, corroded plug"... It's an "extreme example" and most won't look this bad before they should be pulled from service. This one shouldn't be used any further and the plug should be replaced. Yours looks to be in good condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burned plug pins.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	38031  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outlets