Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #1
djac13

Power question and issue

Hey, I’m having power issues and I’m not sure where to start. Is the situation, I have a 32bhs cougar, 2020 and today I started having power issues.

Issues include: light flickering, level jacks have low voltage error, the exhaust fan would go low and high.

The whole time I’m on shore power.

Im currently in cold weather, 20-40 degrees so we have a fireplace running and our gas heater on and off.

I’m thrown off my having shore power and having the low voltage error with the leveling system.

Any suggestions on things to look for? Or start testing?

Surge protector? Fuse? Etc
djac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:32 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The first thing I'd check and verify is working properly is the battery. A dry battery can easily cause the converter/charger to overload, making it incapable of providing power to the lights, furnace, fans, etc. If there's a shorted cell or a bad cell or another issue with the battery, much of what you're experiencing can happen.

It may be something as simple as a corroded or loose battery terminal connection or a blown reverse polarity fuse. But all of those will "lead you right back to checking the battery"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:13 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I would also check that battery. Although you are plugged into shore power do you know what the condition of that power is? Do you have an EMS? If you did you could look at it and it would give you a readout of any incoming power anomalies but....I'd check those batteries first.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:25 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Not an expert but were not all the issues 12VDC related? If so, perhaps the steps to check the battery might be in order. I think I would disconnect the battery and check voltage. Perhaps remove the battery and get it load tested at an auto parts store would be in order. If your battery is bad, replace. If good, your converter would be suspect. I would first check wiring to the converter snug before looking at replacement.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:43 AM   #5
djac13

update: I realized my tank warmers were on. (I might have a short or issue with the warmers) I turned them off, hooked up my truck and the jacks worked normal.

I've since gone and checked my 2019 RV/Marine batteries at the local RV store. The load was "GOOD" or in the green. They can hold a charge though they weren't completely charged.

I live on the road and have moved a few times since this post and haven't had the issue until yesterday. Yesterday, the tank warmers were also left on by accident.
djac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:49 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Do you have a battery disconnect switch thay may have been turned off? A high load like your describing would overlad the converter without a battery.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 07:06 AM   #7
bsmith0404

If the batteries tested good, but weren’t fully charged, your converter might not be putting out enough power which would also explain your other issues. If the problem continues, I’d check the converter output.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power