Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2022, 02:25 PM   #1
timbentzel

Slide Out - Manual Override

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a 2021 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, at the end of last season, and I’m trying to find the slide out manual override, (not the iN-Command electronic override), just in case, but hope I don’t ever need to use it. Does anyone know where this is located on this model, it’s not in the obvious places like my previous TT, or where I have seen them before.

Thanks, and have a great day!!

Tim

p.s., I enjoy reading all these post and thought this would be a good place to start with my question, because you all are very knowledgeable.

Thanks again!!
timbentzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:53 PM   #2
jacksoea

You most likely have a cable slide out system. If that’s the case your camper should have come with a drill adapter (mostly to ensure you don’t damage the system or hurt yourself (over torque). Anyways, to get to the manual override will require removing the trim molding at the top of your slide out. Once you’ve done this, you will see the motor for your slide out (pretty much dead center. Use the adapter to manually turn the motor (a drill will help speed up the process).
jacksoea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:06 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbentzel View Post
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a 2021 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, at the end of last season, and I’m trying to find the slide out manual override, (not the iN-Command electronic override), just in case, but hope I don’t ever need to use it. Does anyone know where this is located on this model, it’s not in the obvious places like my previous TT, or where I have seen them before.

Tim

p.s., I enjoy reading all these post and thought this would be a good place to start with my question, because you all are very knowledgeable.

Thanks again!!

I believe there are also manual overrides on your iN·Command main circuit board in your basement or storage area. Wherever they installed it.
There are switches on the circuit board itself to control various functions…you can do a iN·command search and there are pictures and instructions

This is only if your iN·command keypad won’t respond to any commands or if it’s blank
If it’s a problem with the slide motor itself or the electrical system then it’s like the others have stated
Old 01-16-2022, 05:16 PM   #4
Camping family

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Tim

Thanks again!!

More then likely it’s like most of them. With the slide in look above it and you should see a cable. Between the cable is a motor. Along with the camper you should of got a long tool the end fits into the motor slot and using a drill you can pull the side in or out.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:35 PM   #5
mikec557

Quote:
I recently bought a 2021 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, at the end of last season, and I’m trying to find the slide out manual override, (not the iN-Command electronic override), just in case, but hope I don’t ever need to use it.

Does anyone know where this is located on this model, it’s not in the obvious places like my previous TT, or where I have seen them before.
If it's a cable drive, the electric motor is mounted high on the RV wall in about the middle of the slide-out. Bring the slide at least half way in, if not all the way in. Look over the top facia of the slide.

If you have to operate it manually, you'll have to remove the facia. Look on the end of the motor. On the end of the armature, there's a female square drive. If I recall correctly, it needs a #2 Robert's drive bit. The picture is grainy because I'm using my cellphone and with or without the flash, it's a crummy picture.

I bought our 26RBSWE used and didn't get the flex drive nor the bits. I bought this Ryobi flex shaft at home depot, and this set of robert bits (#1, #2, #3) because I didn't know which one I needed. The bits came from either hd, Lowe's or Harbor Freight.

If you have to bring it in manually, it's going to be a bear. But, you have to be prepared.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210426_115955885.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	37903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220116_182441753.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	37904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220116_182459570.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	37905  
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:46 PM   #6
markcee

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Tim

Thanks again!!
As in this post from a couple of days ago, the override is likely done using the mentioned flexible shaft tool. This is done from the slide motor which is likely behind the fascia board above your dinette slide.

Here is a video of the flexible tool in action. Make sure you have one. Mine was missing and I ended up purchasing one online. John (JRTJH) mentions a great tip in that original post about adding a couple of 1/4" drive extensions to the tool to extend your reach.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:49 PM   #7
jasin1

I interpreted the ops question to mean the “override” if the iN·command failed .
Not the manual operation if the slide motor is bad
I could be wrongabout that interpretation but they showed me the override was on the iN·command circuit board and a last recourse was manually operating it
Old 01-16-2022, 06:09 PM   #8
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I interpreted the ops question to mean the “override” if the iN·command failed .
Not the manual operation if the slide motor is bad
I could be wrongabout that interpretation but they showed me the override was on the iN·command circuit board and a last recourse was manually operating it
He got the Sunday 2 for 1 special then. I took him saying 'not the InCommand electronic override' as meaning the true manual one.

He's fully covered now
Old 01-16-2022, 06:15 PM   #9
jasin1

Lol yep better to have everything covered
Old 01-16-2022, 08:00 PM   #10
timbentzel

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the answers and yep, now I know how to “manually” and override the iN-Command system to bring in the slide if I ever need to. This is very helpful and I’ll check it out once it stops snowing here and I can take the cover off…lol!!
timbentzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:12 PM   #11
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
I bought our 26RBSWE used and didn't get the flex drive nor the bits.
You mean, the trailer comes with them?
Well, that solves the mystery of the "extra" flex extension in my drill bag and the short bandolier of Roberts bits in the top drawer, both of which I never remembered buying! Thanks!
Old 01-16-2022, 10:43 PM   #12
LHaven

I haven't located the bit yet, but after taking a couple of photos of the motor, it certainly does look like a large gauge square drive (as opposed to the BAL repair manual, which claims that it's hex).

What I don't understand is how a person is supposed to bring the slide in with this procedure. It seems to me that after the slide has come in a foot or two, it has pushed the owner so far into the room that he can no longer reach the motor to finish the procedure.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:12 AM   #13
DaveAlb

Are you sure it’s a cable setup? My dealer said mine, which is the same camper, was rack and pinion. I’ve never seen any cables with mine, and I’ve looked a little bit. They said a few guys could manually push in the slide if necessary. I don’t know about getting it out though.
2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5l Powerboost
DaveAlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:27 AM   #14
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlb View Post
Are you sure it’s a cable setup? My dealer said mine, which is the same camper, was rack and pinion. I’ve never seen any cables with mine, and I’ve looked a little bit. They said a few guys could manually push in the slide if necessary. I don’t know about getting it out though.
Looks like your are right...sure don't see any cables in this video. I just figured the entire 1/2 ton line would use the same system.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:10 PM   #15
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Looks like your are right...sure don't see any cables in this video. I just figured the entire 1/2 ton line would use the same system.
I don't think you can assume similarity between the Western and Eastern versions. The unit in the Haylett video is an Eastern edition, and you're right, IT does not have a cable drive system.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:27 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
I don't think you can assume similarity between the Western and Eastern versions. The unit in the Haylett video is an Eastern edition, and you're right, IT does not have a cable drive system.

2-3 years ago I was looking at a Cougar 315rls? and comparing units in FL vs TX. The FL unit had a ram (1) slide the TX had all cable slides?? I was really surprised.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:08 AM   #17
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
(snip)

What I don't understand is how a person is supposed to bring the slide in with this procedure. It seems to me that after the slide has come in a foot or two, it has pushed the owner so far into the room that he can no longer reach the motor to finish the procedure.
I took the facia off just to make sure I would have access if needed and reinstalled it with screws. It seems that the slide goes out 3.5 to 4 feet and the motor would be way to far for my arm and the tools. I was thinking that it may be better to use a long extension with that floppy gizmo, but maybe use a length of pvc pipe with an elbow to help guide it and hold it in place. I know that the gizmo is suppose to be allowed to kink if there is excessive torque, but I can imagine that holding everything could be impossible.

Word of warning. My facia was attached with MANY staples (big suprise right?) So you will probably use a dremmel cutting disk to cut off all of those so that it isn’t so noticable.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:05 AM   #18
sju1771

I am a newbie, quick question please, what is holding the facia board and how do I remove it?
sju1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:44 PM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sju1771 View Post
I am a newbie, quick question please, what is holding the facia board and how do I remove it?
The “top layer” is brad nailed in place. The board underneath that is screwed into the slide frame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 09:50 AM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I haven't located the bit yet, but after taking a couple of photos of the motor, it certainly does look like a large gauge square drive (as opposed to the BAL repair manual, which claims that it's hex).

I never did get an answer to this question, but the answer suggested itself to me shortly afterward: obviously, the motor is mounted on the slide lip and travels with the slide, so it's always reachable by a person inside the slide.

Well, the last time I put the slide in to go on a trip, I shoved my camera up there to make sure, and I was wrong. The motor is definitely mounted to the coach frame, and by the time the slide comes in, it's about 5 feet away from any human's reach.

So how is this manual retraction procedure supposed to work at all?
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out