Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2022, 07:22 AM   #1
waltbeth

toppers

Has anyone put a topper on the living room slide on a 2021 avalanche? I have awnings on the living room slide and over the door which are very close together not leaving much room for topper hangover. also, the topper will be very close over the top of the awning on the slide not leaving much working room between them. I'm thinking of moving the awning down a few inches to allow room for the topper. Keystone engineers really had their thinking caps on when designing this area!!! LOL. For what you pay for these units I have come to find they are not built with quality that's for sure!!!!!! Thanks Walter
waltbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:00 AM   #2
jasin1

I have the same issue with my fifth wheel ( many other people do as well) .. was going to get them installed when I bought the rv ….first my salesman said they couldn’t install one there…then one of the service techs yes they could, they do it all the time.

He showed me how they just offset the topper on that slide…it doesn’t overhang the slide on the awning side closest to entry door. But would be flush or set back a small amount…they said it will cover most of the slide and would help with shade but not entirely for rain or snow…but aesthetically it would look correct
Old 01-10-2022, 09:06 AM   #3
waltbeth

Yes, if you install it the way the tech is saying it's not going to cover the side close to the door. I'm looking at dropping the awning on the slide for clearance for the topper and moving the awning over the door to the right for topper coverage over the slide. That may solve the issue for the topper, but the awning may not cover the door completely, but you just have to compromise because engineers(designers) didn't think through.
waltbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:37 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Think through "moving the awning over the door"....

The awning vertical arms are attached to the trailer frame members under the FILON. There may not be any "substantial frame member to use" for a significant distance along the sidewall"... When you move the aft leg, you also have to move the front leg, so you'll need "a substantial frame member" in two places and that gets to be the "tricky part about moving awnings"... Often times, the trailer design engineers will specifically call for a frame member in a specific location to accommodate a specific awning size in a specific location on the trailer sidewall. Things are "where they are for a reason"... Attempting to move the awning might be a whole lot more difficult than you currently imagine.

Then, if you move an electric awning, you also have to move the wiring that is very often routed from inside the trailer through a 1" or 2" hole in the sidewall. Not only do you have to "patch the screwholes" but you'll also have a much larger hole under the leg with the electrical wiring.....

Think it through from start to finish before you "solve a slide topper problem" and create "a 20' awning problem that you can't solve".....

Then, to consider your concern about the slide topper not "covering the entire top of the slide if it's slightly offset"... If you "move the awning that is currently protecting the entire entry door from rain" to a location where it doesn't cover the entire entry door area, then when it's raining and you enter/exit the trailer, you're going to have a part of the steps and a part of the entry exposed to rain rolling off the edge of the awning (concentrated right where you have to stand)....

Think it through completely before you start the project.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:43 AM   #5
Javi

I have the same issue with my 2020 313 RS and after intensive research, I decided to let sleeping dogs lie..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote