Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2022, 07:00 AM   #1
maineman

I-80 Nebraska

Looking to travel through Nebraska this summer. How are the road conditions on I-80. Was that way several years ago and the road was terrible. If road is bad in areas I could jump over to U.S. 30, as we are in no hurry.
maineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:50 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Summer is a long way off in a state that has long harsh winters. Any report now may not have much relevance months from now.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:52 AM   #3
locomech

I've traveled I-80 several times through Nebraska and other than having to deal with construction, and it being a major truck corridor, it's fast and convenient. There are plenty of truck stops for food and fuel, and small overnight rv friendly campgrounds.

Traveling I-80 in the summer should be easier weather wise than in the winter. There won't be any concerns about stretches of the hi-way closed because of drifting snow, but strong thunderstorms are possible which may cause delays.

If time is no concern then there may be other options that offer easier less stressful routes. I can't comment on US-30 as every time I traveled out west I had a time frame to stay within. When traveling on any interstate I find conditions pretty much the same as there is always construction, slow moving trucks, and left lane dreamers that don't know what "Keep right unless passing" means. Have a safe trip and enjoy Nebraska.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:34 AM   #4
Badbart56

We travel I-80 a lot in the summer. We also do our best to avoid I-80 from November until April. But be advised, it can snow in Wyoming practically anytime!

The roads are in great shape and plenty of stopping points along the way. The greatest danger that time of year is the wind which often has gust of 60 mph and greater, usually in Wyoming, but also in Nevada, Utah and Nebraska.

Just be sure to check the weather in advance of your trip and if there is a warning given, take it seriously. I posted a video of an RV hauler that was intent on delivering a new bumper pull on time and ignored the warning. One of our other drivers had parked their semi (we're truck drivers) on a ramp because of the high winds and were filming when the RV flipped over, dragging the F-250 with it. No injuries in that incident but others aren't always so lucky.

Safe travels and enjoy the scenery!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:50 PM   #5
vampress_me

It wasn’t bad in October when we came home from delivering our daughter’s horse to her at college in WY. Much better actually than it was 20-some years ago when I traveled it frequently coming and going to college. Then, you could let go of the steering wheel and stay in the ruts mostly.

But, I did make the comment in October that when we go to pick up our daughter’s horse when she comes home from college this spring, we will be traveling home with the horse on I-90 instead of I-80. I80 just did not seem as smooth as I90 when I was pulling the horse trailer. But, I would not hesitate to travel it with the camper if that was a closer route to travel to wherever you are going.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:42 PM   #6
maineman

Thanks folks.. Starting to look at route 36 from Ohio to Colorado. I only travel 250 to 300 miles per day, so 2 lane roads probably won't be too bad. Thoughts????
maineman is offline   Reply With Quote