Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2022, 12:33 PM   #1
lunge motorsport

Are you considering Bilstein shock absorbers

I am again posting what I know on this topic as I continue to see advice given as to what series of Bilstein should be considered for purchase. There are 2 basic series and many specialty shock absorbers available for purchase, you get to choose what you want to use. When researching this subject, I had already used personally, and installed on friends and relative’s cars, many of their “production based” shocks. This by no means makes me an expert although it does give me a good frame of reference. I bought my 1st set in 1978 for my street driven BMW 1800 TI. Great shock absorbers for the street but as the car progressed into a full-fledged road race car, changes were made. Spring rates, suspension travel, vehicle weight, compression and rebound dampening rates all were changed in the quest for faster laps. What that means to this discussion is that I am no stranger to Bilstein Technical Dept. I have installed their stock comfort series, sport series, competition series, and specialty valved series with inverted bodies to reduce the un-sprung weight in a highly prepared competition car. I can’t estimate how many shocks I have installed over the decades.
Back to the reason for this new post. I had, quite a while ago, posted information I had personally obtained through emails and phone calls with Bilstein Tech over the course of my research on what series shock absorber, 4600 or 5100, to put in my stock ride height tow vehicle. I won’t go through the particulars but if you want more info on that you can go to this forum archives or message me and I will tell you what they said to me. The bottom line was that Bilstein would not waste the resources to produce 2 series of shock absorbers to accomplish the same goal. That is, proper dampening of a stock suspension, stock ride height tow vehicles. Their firm recommendation to me was the 4600 series is the proper damper in that application. No ambiguity, no mixing of words, it was clear to me. If there is any information that is contrary to this then I am interested in seeing it.
I then posted this info on this forum. There were quite a few responses from members indicating how they have used the 5100 series in this application without any issues and were quite satisfied. Reply’s indicated that they were given this advice from their supplier and others whom they trust and would not stop recommending their choice. There was one reply thanking me for the information and indicating that he would do some additional research before making his decision, this was what I was hoping to achieve. Even now I still see some of the same people recommending the 5100 series shock over the 4600 series, human behavior is unpredictable though so there you have it.
I really don’t care how satisfied the other members of this forum are with the shocks they chose so there is no need for any of you to come back again and tell me how far off I am here. Those of you who made that choice really don’t know if you would have obtained better performance from the correct shock or not. Your satisfaction is a testament to the quality of their product and their superiority over most other brands, not that you chose the correct fitment. I doubt any of you folks tested both series independently in maximum stress situations for proper evaluation, although I’m sure that Bilstein did.
This post is for the people who are doing their research and are relying on guidance from this forum. Please don’t take my word for it, in fact I encourage you to do exactly what I did and contact Bilstein directly. How can you go wrong with that advice, eh?
Old 01-03-2022, 01:26 PM   #2
Hblick48

I replaced my stock shocks with Bilstein 7100. Truck rides and tows better. However, truck still rides like a truck.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:43 PM   #3
Javi

I'm running the 5100 series on my dually because I wanted the stiffer response of the 5100.. because I run loaded most of the time and I stayed at a Holiday Inn one time

Part # for those who want to check the fit... 24-185523 front & 24-065276 rear

Just as the 5100 isn't for everyone neither is the 4600... run what floats your boat..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:09 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

Before I bought my Bilsteins I DID infact contact them directly.

Their advice was that at stock height, both 4600 and 5100 are functionally identical; The outer construction of both shocks is identical with an extruded metal body for maximum strength and top of the line seals. Both use the same internal valving and at stock height will ride the same. Both shocks are pressurized with 360 psi of nitrogen. The 5100 series and 4600 series are both covered under Bilstein's lifetime warranty. The 4600 series are yellow with a blue boot and the 5100 series are brushed metal with black boots.

Therefore there are two reasons for someone to buy one over the other if they have a stock ride height; color choice or one day want to add some lift.

It’s really not rocket science, and like HBLICK48 says, the truck still rides like a truck (for me especially with 500 lbs. of sandbags in the bed for winter traction). Notice that I intentionally did not state what series I bought. The choice was a personal one I made after reaching out to Bilstein and doing my own research. The model I went with is really irrelevant to this conversation.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:05 PM   #5
lunge motorsport

Just off the phone with Bilstein Tech again as of 16:30 1/2/22

They say for my truck, 2020 Ram 3500 dually 6.7

They won't give the actual numbers, only percentages.

4600 series

Front compression 5-10% more aggressive, rebound 15% more aggressive than the 5100 series
Rear compression 33% more aggressive, rebound 0 difference than the 5100 series

They do make a 5100 series for 0-1'' lift in certain applications that maintains the 4600 stiffer valving for those who raised their truck for leveling, but he added that generally, the 4600 shock is valved stiffer so it would be the preferred shock for a non-lifted stock ride height application.

I'm sure the percentage differences vary between applications, i.e., make and model.

Again...if you want accuracy, call the tech dept., they are very helpful.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:19 PM   #6
Northofu1

All I know is that when I replaced the OEM shocks on my 2017 GMC 1500 SLE with the 5100's the ride was much better, loaded and unloaded.
First time using them, never researched which model was better.
The raking stopped, the price was right, I was happy with them.

Some folks might want to use Rancho's that's up to them. I used a Blue Ox Sway pro, lots of others prefer Equalizer.
Different strokes for different folks.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:36 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

As others have noted, OP is not the only person that modifies suspensions or does "research" OR talks to Bilstein.

Unlike the statements made in the original post, Bilstein does NOT make blanket statements advocating the 4600 over the 5100 for "stock" configurations - just because. Like others I have talked to them as well and the 5100 was the shock recommended to me. A person may be the "expert" on what they have done with their "sport car" or whatever but most certainly aren't an expert on others situations.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:51 PM   #8
Javi

Here is how this works.. it's my money and my truck. I'm happy and you're not. Tough, get over it
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:07 PM   #9
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Here is how this works.. it's my money and my truck. I'm happy and you're not. Tough, get over it
Well said Javi
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:07 PM   #10
lunge motorsport

Uh huh…
Well you guys provided some pretty tasty looking low hanging fruit to exploit, but really you all helped illustrate my point, so I am grateful. Rather than take shots at those delicious apples, I will keep my ‘’opinion’’ of the replies to myself and let these well reasoned arguments speak for themselves. My objective was to put out this information to those that are interested and keep this thread alive.
And so, to close, from the movie Blazing Saddles after the Gabby Johnson rant…
“Now who can argue with that…I think we’re all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said.’’
Old 01-04-2022, 06:54 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunge motorsport View Post
Uh huh…
Well you guys provided some pretty tasty looking low hanging fruit to exploit, but really you all helped illustrate my point, so I am grateful. Rather than take shots at those delicious apples, I will keep my ‘’opinion’’ of the replies to myself and let these well reasoned arguments speak for themselves. My objective was to put out this information to those that are interested and keep this thread alive.
And so, to close, from the movie Blazing Saddles after the Gabby Johnson rant…
“Now who can argue with that…I think we’re all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said.’’

Thanks. Don't really know who Gabby Johnson was without digging (been a long time since watching Blazing Saddles), it's probably well you didn't feel the need for taking shots at "those delicious apples" (ie; other folks actual experiences) as those "low hanging fruit" tend to whack you on the head if not careful. As far as anyone being indebted for "what needed to be said"....sorry, it's irrelevant.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote