Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2021, 06:18 PM   #21
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
So I'm minding my own business, sitting in a lawn chair near the Gulf of Mexico, near Pensacola Florida. Then a LOUD BANG. The sidewall blew out of the Trailer King spare tire mounted on the rear bumper of out TT. I looked at that tire before this trip, increased its pressure from 68 to 80 psi. There was no goose egg, no visible defect. It was 2yrs old and never used.

We were lucky to have never needed to use it. (we'd previously replaced the 4 on the axles with Goodyear Endurance). Yes, we should have bought 5 instead of 4.

My suggestion is that you immediately get those Trailer Kings, all 5, off your RV.

And, by the way, there are no Goodyear Endurance tires anywhere near where we were. And, no good substitute. I had to buy a brand new, 13 month old, China bomb just so I would have SOMETHING if I needed a spare on the drive home.

Start looking for your replacement tires NOW.

Ours is ST225/75R15. Probably yours are too.
Yeah, that's unnerving. I had a similar experience with a Goodyear Marathon. We had returned from a camping trip about two weeks prior and I was in the yard on a Saturday morning and "BANG"! Being an ex-cop I found myself on the grass thinking someone had taken a shot at me.

Once I realized that wasn't the case I searched in the direction of the noise and saw that one of the Fuzion's tires had blown while just sitting there.

So upon the advice of a friend who used them on his commercial dump trailers I bought a set of Super Cargo ST tires. When they were dismounting the Goodyears they found another one with the tread separating.

No trouble with the Super Cargo's during the 4 years I've had them.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:11 AM   #22
Gunny Mike

China Bombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Towing it home from the dealers lot is already too far in my opinion on those China bombs.
Also as John stated that size of tire/wheel combination is barely adequate to start with & would be looking for some 16" wheels with G rated tires or no less than F rated.
Performance Trailer Braking in the past had some very good deals on tire/wheel combos.
We had to dodge an RV hauler towing a brand new trailer with a blowout as a tire on the right side disintegrated in front of us. We were just 30 miles south of Elkhart thinking it has to be a China Bomb. We plan on going to Endurance on our 2019 Outback at the end of this year's camping adventures.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:41 AM   #23
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
When I first got married, I owned a couple different cars; an Olds 442, then a Dodge Demon 340. The Dodge had a white interior and I found white seats and baby puke didn't work so we bought a 70s vintage (brand new) Vega wagon and it served us well through three overseas tours. It was a great car. When shipping the car back from overseas, the port in Bayonne used straps to lift the car off the ship and ruined the paint on the sides and then dropped the car. It rattled so bad we had to get rid of it. We wold probably still be driving that Vega today otherwise. Folks complained about the aluminum block but we never had any issues. DO NOT BAD MOUTH VEGAS!
My stepfather was a car dealer when I was a kid…we always had a Vega or nova new demo car that we drove in…had a new car smell till my stepfather started smoking his Benson and hedges gold 100’s with the window just cracked and the ac on with three kids turning pale in the backseat…memories ughh
Also when I was seven or eight I thought it would be cute to wake up early and put one of our kittens in his demo car and he would get a kick out of it....made quite the mess before he got in it an hour or so later
He wasn’t amused
Old 01-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #24
Canoefire

So far I haven’t had any problems with those tires. I’ve traveled on them for two years putting about 10,000 miles on them. I understand they’re not the best tire in the world but wonder how many of the problems people had were because they didn’t check the tires. When I go to replace them I will put better tires on. I would definitely put a TMS on any tires so you can’t keep track of them.
Canoefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 01:12 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoefire View Post
So far I haven’t had any problems with those tires. I’ve traveled on them for two years putting about 10,000 miles on them. I understand they’re not the best tire in the world but wonder how many of the problems people had were because they didn’t check the tires. When I go to replace them I will put better tires on. I would definitely put a TMS on any tires so you can’t keep track of them.

I think you can rule the above out in most of the known cases I'm aware of. It certainly doesn't explain tires exploding/separating sitting on a spare tire carrier. Good luck on squeezing all you can out of those TKs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #26
mjsibe

Tires

Just remember if you go up a load range
Make sure your rims can handle the increase in air pressure.
Some where there is a chart on rim specs
Check you codes stamped or cast in the rims.
I believe JJ code will hold higher pressure.
A J code good for around 65 psi.
I did go up a load range from 65 psi to 85
My rims were JJ code
I think Cw Man may have posted it a couple of years ago.
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:01 PM   #27
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsibe View Post
Just remember if you go up a load range
Make sure your rims can handle the increase in air pressure.
Some where there is a chart on rim specs
Check you codes stamped or cast in the rims.
I believe JJ code will hold higher pressure.
A J code good for around 65 psi.
I did go up a load range from 65 psi to 85
My rims were JJ code
I think Cw Man may have posted it a couple of years ago.

Rim type designation means the industry of manufacturer's designation for a rim by style or code. For instance. "J" indicates Japan auto manufacturers association.

Rims/Wheels are not required by regulation to be marked with load capacity or inflation capacity. The regulation suggests that when in doubt to contact the manufacturer. Some trailer manufacturers and wheel OEM provides have agreed to have them marked. I would not trust the markings as information for another manufacturer's product.

It is the vehicle manufacturer's responsibility to ensure wheels fitted to vehicles they manufacture are appropriate for that fitment. That means the wheels must have a load capacity rating that is equal to or greater than the vehicle certified GAWRs.

USTMA quote: Never exceed the maximum pressure and/or load capacity of the rim/wheel.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:18 AM   #28
firestation12

Skeptic

Quote:
When I first got married, I owned a couple different cars; an Olds 442, then a Dodge Demon 340. The Dodge had a white interior and I found white seats and baby puke didn't work so we bought a 70s vintage (brand new) Vega wagon and it served us well through three overseas tours. It was a great car. When shipping the car back from overseas, the port in Bayonne used straps to lift the car off the ship and ruined the paint on the sides and then dropped the car. It rattled so bad we had to get rid of it. We wold probably still be driving that Vega today otherwise. Folks complained about the aluminum block but we never had any issues. DO NOT BAD MOUTH VEGAS!

Since this post took a right turn down memory lane, I might as well jump on the band wagon.....First thought was: Sum Ting Wong (Chinese for huh?) with wiregeorge's story. How does a newlywed guy with a kid, afford an Olds 442 then a Dodge Demon with a 340?? Second thought was to express condolences for your LOST VEGAS. Sorry for the pun, I'm on board with owning a Vega. Happy New Year Ya'll !!
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:30 AM   #29
wiredgeorge

Had the 442 before I got married and sold after I went into the service. Bought the Demon and had to sell it when I went overseas to sunny Okinawa. When I was younger, dumping all my cash into cars seemed like a good idea.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:38 AM   #30
jasin1

Quote:
Had the 442 before I got married and sold after I went into the service. Bought the Demon and had to sell it when I went overseas to sunny Okinawa. When I was younger, dumping all my cash into cars seemed like a good idea.
It was a good idea if you had the fortitude to play the long game… would have brought a nice price today if they were mothballed somewhere safe …..but who knew
Old 01-03-2022, 10:01 AM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
It was a good idea if you had the fortitude to play the long game… would have brought a nice price today if they were mothballed somewhere safe …..but who knew
I had 2 1972 cars before I was married. One was a Ford Grand Torino Sport, gold in color with a 351 cid. I towed the 22 1/2" Sleek-Craft jet boat (455 cid Old's engine & Jacuzzi jet drive) with that car.

Second car was a 1972 VW Karman Ghia Formula Vee. It was Signal orange in color, had a full leather interior with a Hurst shifter and it had air conditioning. Can't even find that model when doing a simple search these days. That was my everyday driver as it was good for gas mileage and was low maintenance.

I wish I had both or those cars today.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:40 AM   #32
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I had 2 1972 cars before I was married. One was a Ford Grand Torino Sport, gold in color with a 351 cid. I towed the 22 1/2" Sleek-Craft jet boat (455 cid Old's engine & Jacuzzi jet drive) with that car.

Second car was a 1972 VW Karman Ghia Formula Vee. It was Signal orange in color, had a full leather interior with a Hurst shifter and it had air conditioning. Can't even find that model when doing a simple search these days. That was my everyday driver as it was good for gas mileage and was low maintenance.

I wish I had both or those cars today.
Ever see Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino? I bet if you still owned it today, you would be a lot like Clint in the movie bwhahahaha
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:27 AM   #33
Miloski

Four years driving around the PNW and no problem. Look new except for tire wear, but I take care of the rubber with tire care, cover and inflation. I don’t do over 65mph and no sharp turns needlessly. Yes, one day I will get a flat or blowout, everyone does sooner or later. I like to make mine later. Be money wise and take care of your equipment, and it will take care of you.
Miloski is offline   Reply With Quote