Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2021, 01:44 PM   #21
Jorick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
There is NO special license requirement in NH for any towable or drivable RV regardless of length as long as you are under 26,000 lbs. The only restrictions we have (and licenses have nothing to do with it) are no motor-coaches over 45 ft, no towable trailer over 48 ft and no triple towing.
Sounds like the rules have changed in the past few years. The rule was definitely there when I bought my RV.
Jorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 02:35 PM   #22
jimborokz

The White mountains are very pretty along with the Adirondacks of NY where I live in the summer. Roads are generally not a problem once the spring frost heaves are ironed out, but I would recommend an RV gps as you may find some underpasses and bridges not friendly to long and tall 5ers.
Also, I'll attest to the public CG's being usually small with no hook ups. We stopped using the State CG's once we moved past our 21'TT. Private CG's will accommodate you, but you'll need to book early to get in.
DW has wanted to go to Maine for the last two years, but we haven't gotten there yet. Maybe, just maybe the Covid will blow itself out this year and we can go.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:39 PM   #23
notanlines

"Be advised that New Hampshire requires a special license to tow RV trailers 40 feet and over (and I think is the only state in the US to require this). If you get caught without it, not only will you get a ticket with a hefty fine, but they will call a tow truck and tow your rig out of state. That could end up costing you many thousands of dollars."
This is so much bologna you could make a sandwich out of it. Probably came from the Facebook rules of NH camping.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:53 PM   #24
InkedMarie

Enjoy your visit when you come to NH! Crazy Horse campground in Littleton and Ames Brook in Ashland are both big rig friendly. I believe Branch Brook is as well.
I suggest emailing or calling the campgrounds instead of online; I’ve heard of people who,had better luck with reservations that way. If you don’t get a response, online then.

We have the ocean, the mountains and everything in between here. It’s a beautiful state. Many wineries and breweries all over.

Marie

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:42 AM   #25
mwalter

NH State Parks

FYI- Most NH State Park campgrounds do NOT allow DOGS.

That being said, don't miss Franconia Notch where you can see ski museum with Mussolini's sword and Bodie Miller's Olympic medals.
mwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:51 AM   #26
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalter View Post
FYI- most NH State Parks do NOT allow DOGS.

That being said, don't miss Franconia Notch where you can see ski museum with Mussolini's sword and Bodie Miller's Olympic medals.
There are 93 State Parks in NH and only 3 prohibit pets……
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:24 PM   #27
CWtheMan

NH Is basically a rural state. The largest city is Manchester with a population just a tad over 100K. Therefore the highways are mostly state and rural roads and narrow two lanes. There are two Interstate highways running north and south, I-89 & I-91. The only well known highway running west to east across the state is US-2.

We have entered NH from lower NY and upper NY. We avoid MA because of its strict gun laws; you cannot legally stop overnight in MA if you’re carrying guns. There are exceptions for federal law enforcement agents and those holding a state of MA gun permit.

My recommendation for visiting NH is to use NH-16 from Rochester, NH to Errol, NH. Coming in from northern NY on US-11 you will have to use a number of state/rural roads to get to Errol. Coming in from southern NY you can use NH-9/US-202 to Rochester, NH and link-up with NH-16. NH-16 is their north/south tourist road and it’s loaded with vistas and mom-pop CGs. My 1st cousin Jan and her husband Dan used to own and manage Whit’s End CG at West Ossipee, NH. They were the ones that built the “A” frame home/office/CG store. We stay there when traveling NH-16.

I’m from rural ME and traveled frequently into NH as a youngster. My home was in SE rural Maine (North Berwick). The Rangeley lakes in northern NH/ME were a family favorite fishing vacation area. Throughout NH & ME I highly recommend using RV Parks/CGs that will accept and hold reservations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NH7.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	37709 Click image for larger version

Name:	NH15.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	37710

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 WhitsEnd1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	37711
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:36 PM   #28
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
NH Is basically a rural state. The largest city is Manchester with a population just a tad over 100K. Therefore the highways are mostly state and rural roads and narrow two lanes. There are two Interstate highways running north and south, I-89 & I-91. The only well known highway running west to east across the state is US-2.

We have entered NH from lower NY and upper NY. We avoid MA because of its strict gun laws; you cannot legally stop overnight in MA if you’re carrying guns. There are exceptions for federal law enforcement agents and those holding a state of MA gun permit.

My recommendation for visiting NH is to use NH-16 from Rochester, NH to Errol, NH. Coming in from northern NY on US-11 you will have to use a number of state/rural roads to get to Errol. Coming in from southern NY you can use NH-9/US-202 to Rochester, NH and link-up with NH-16. NH-16 is their north/south tourist road and it’s loaded with vistas and mom-pop CGs. My 1st cousin Jan and her husband Dan used to own and manage Whit’s End CG at West Ossipee, NH. They were the ones that built the “A” frame home/office/CG store. We stay there when traveling NH-16.

I’m from rural ME and traveled frequently into NH as a youngster. My home was in SE rural Maine (North Berwick). The Rangeley lakes in northern NH/ME were a family favorite fishing vacation area. Throughout NH & ME I highly recommend using RV Parks/CGs that will accept and hold reservations.

Attachment 37709 Attachment 37710

Attachment 37711
I think you are confusing highways and roads in NH with VT……..We have I-89, I-93 and I-95 for interstates as well as US Routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 202 and 302. Also, Hillsborough County NH has a population of about 500,000, so it is far from rural…….
Old 01-01-2022, 12:56 PM   #29
CWtheMan

Quote:
I think you are confusing highways and roads in NH with VT……..We have I-89, I-93 and I-95 for interstates as well as US Routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 202 and 302. Also, Hillsborough County NH has a population of about 500,000, so it is far from rural…….
You are knit picking. All of my information as written is true and accurate. The only place where I-95 enters and departs NH is on the very small coastline with US-1 being parallel with it. It comes into NH from MA which I clearly said I do not travel.

According to my Road Atlis I-89 & I-91 are the only interstate highways that travel north into Canada. I-93 & I-91 are linked into a single I-91 before entering Canada.

Isn't Manchester in Hillsborough County? About one third of the state population live in Hillsborough County. Wouldn't that make the state, as a whole, mostly rural?
Old 01-01-2022, 01:07 PM   #30
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
You are knit picking. All of my information as written is true and accurate. The only place where I-95 enters and departs NH is on the very small coastline with US-1 being parallel with it. It comes into NH from MA which I clearly said I do not travel.

According to my Road Atlis I-89 & I-91 are the only interstate highways that travel north into Canada. I-93 & I-91 are linked into a single I-91 before entering Canada.

Isn't Manchester in Hillsborough County? About one third of the state population live in Hillsborough County. Wouldn't that make the state, as a whole, mostly rural?

Stick to the facts and you’ll be fine. If 1/3 of the population lives in 1/3 of the state, that means the remaining 1 million people live in the remaining 2/3rds.

I don’t pretend to be a tour guide for SC because I drive through twice a year and stayed in Charleston once in 1980. The OP was looking for places to stay and things to do……and look at your atlas again, there is no I-91 in New Hampshire.
Old 01-01-2022, 01:24 PM   #31
CWtheMan

Quote:
Stick to the facts and you’ll be fine. I don’t pretend to be a tour guide for SC because I drive through twice a year and stayed in Charleston once in 1980. The OP was looking for places to stay and things to do……and look at your atlas again, there is no I-91 in New Hampshire.
Read more closely, I never said I-91 was physically in NH.

Because I now live in the SC foothills does not erase the fact that I was raised in ME and worked in NH. I've hunted and fished many forests and waters in both states. I have seven 1st cousins and an aunt and uncle that currently live in NH. I had a 2nd cousin that was the commissioner of NH highways. (Harland Roberts).

Bottom line, I highly recommend traveling NH-16 when visiting NH on a sightseeing vacation.
Old 01-01-2022, 04:28 PM   #32
mwalter

Dogs in Campgrounds

New Hampshire's pet rules apply to state parks, campgrounds, and historic sites. New Hampshire has 75 state park properties (including historic sites and 19 state camping facilities). Twelve of the parks with camping facilities allow pets, but some limit pet access to designated areas. Pets are prohibited from historic sites, state beaches, and picnic areas. Where allowed, pets must be leashed and, if a pet becomes objectionable to a park visitor, the pet owner must remove the pet upon a park attendant's request. State camping policies are available at http://www.nhstateparks.org/experience/camping/camping-policies.aspx and the state park rules (N.H. Code R. Res 7300 et seq.) are available at http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/state_agencies/res7300.html. A list of state parks, including whether or not pets are allowed, is available at http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/pets.pdf.
mwalter is offline   Reply With Quote