Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2017, 04:16 AM   #1
Double b

Weak shower base upgrade for $40

Well we finally got around to ripping out the shower and reinforcing the extremely week shower base. For those that wondered why the shower base is weak when you step around the drain this is why.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Base out.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	12602

In the picture what you are looking at is a 3/8" thick piece of crap! it is chip board with 5 riser to support the base of the tub. This chip board is so weak that I was able to break it in half when I was throwing it out in the garbage can.

We replaced it with a $16 piece of 3/4" Pressure treated plywood. Cut to fit the whole area. Here it what it looked like after installation.

Name:	New base.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	12605

There is no movement. Also we reused the same risers, just cut off 3/8" off the length of them and re-brad nailed them to the ply in the same locations. Not reinventing the wheel here. Just upgrading.

For those that are wondering how was the wall removal. it was very simple. The shower walls or surround is only held on with the 14 X-mass tree fasteners and 2 way tape. Here is the wall after the surround was removed.

Name:	surround out.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	12603

Name:	surround out-2.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	12604

All we did was cut the head off the clips, used a Exacto knife to cut the silicone around the edge of the tub and pulled. The surround came off very easy. Also the tap just unscrew and rescrewed to the wall/surround. On of the things we did notice that there needs to be a lot more silicone around the tap, for the 3 shower we have taken in the trailer, there is already some water damage behind the tap where it was not sealed properly.

IF we had the replacement X-mass clips for the 1/4" holes this would have been done in one afternoon. But seeing it was Sunday and Mother days, it will be done today.

The total price of this upgrade is around $40 US, the cost of the plywood, the cost of the replacement clips, and the 1 tube of silicone. You need a couple screw drivers, adjustable plyers, wire cutting plyers, and sharp knife. Over and above a jig saw to cut the wood. We used a band saw as it was easily available.

If anyone want more information by all means PM us and we'll do our best to explain what it was we did.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shower base back in.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	12606  
Double b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:51 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Nice job and nice write up. Thanks for the info. I wonder if there is a difference in the design of different models. We've never noticed much flex with our Alpine, but a recent write up from another member about not stepping near the drain makes me think it's about the same.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
Miguel

Nice thank you. I'm new to all this we have good sams extended but they won't cover our broken shower pan on our 2020 springdale I'm 210 lbs my wife a lot less and the kids well they probably only showered once or twice i think lol. But they want 2400 to do the job start to finish. I think I can handle it thanks for the advice and write up.
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:46 PM   #4
bigdave_185

I’d like to see how the walls looked after you put new stuff back in? Iv wondered about tile snd the whole thing. My converted cargo trailer I am building will be getting galvanized metal on the walls for that rough man cave feeling
bigdave_185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:09 AM   #5
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

Im gonna go a different route, just about have it engineered out. The problem is as I see it, as the tub ages and the oils come out of the plastic and it reacts to UV, it will do what all styrene based plastics do and get brittle and start cracking. the entire bottom needs supported so my plan is to enlarge the removable opening under and using marine plywood, build a floor and a ceiling for the space and use treated ballister sections (from like a deck) as columns with gorilla glue. I figure 10# tops in weight but cannot hazard a cost estimate as the prices fluctuate like bitcoin futures. a half or 1/4 sheet of marine wood will be the most.
quaddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:49 AM   #6
Miguel

That little opening sure would be best if it was longer and taller took of a 12 x 10 inch cover to discover a 3ish inch hole. Not straight cuts anywhere looks like they just broke pieces off with pliers
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
That little opening sure would be best if it was longer and taller took of a 12 x 10 inch cover to discover a 3ish inch hole. Not straight cuts anywhere looks like they just broke pieces off with pliers
When I was last at the factory, there were two "workers" on the roof of a travel trailer, before the TPO membrane was installed. They were "drilling holes" for tank vents. The method they were using was not a drill and hole saw, nor was it an auger or drill bit... They were using a standard claw hammer, "smacking the OSB decking with the hammer" and then forcing the hammer in a circular manner to enlarge the hole....

It's no surprise that the appearance of your shower floor resembles the holes in the roof decking.....

When I pointed that out to the "tour guide", he shrugged his shoulders and changed the subject back to how the TPO membrane adhesive is applied to the decking.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:28 PM   #8
skids

Good grief! A claw hammer???
Old 10-27-2021, 05:54 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Good grief! A claw hammer???
One hard smack where you want the hole, the hammer will break through the OSB, then just "wring the hammer in a circular motion" and it will push the wood shards out of the way enough that a 1.5" vent stack fits "perfectly".... I watched the process on 3 trailers and every hole "looked great once the TPO covered all the ragged edges"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-27-2021, 06:41 PM   #10
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
One hard smack where you want the hole, the hammer will break through the OSB, then just "wring the hammer in a circular motion" and it will push the wood shards out of the way enough that a 1.5" vent stack fits "perfectly".... I watched the process on 3 trailers and every hole "looked great once the TPO covered all the ragged edges"...
So you have discovered the difference between the standard Keystone RVs and the luxury, premium RVs such as Lance and Airstream. We know they all use the same appliances, so I guess the price difference comes from the latter brands using a hole saw or otherwise appropriate tool to make the holes.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:50 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
So you have discovered the difference between the standard Keystone RVs and the luxury, premium RVs such as Lance and Airstream. We know they all use the same appliances, so I guess the price difference comes from the latter brands using a hole saw or otherwise appropriate tool to make the holes.
Plus it's hard to get an "even hole" in the aluminum skin of an Airstream... They tried fiberglass trailers for a couple years, but those danged "Amish hammers" detracted from the "aura of an Airstream"... LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-28-2021, 01:56 AM   #12
ROBNPEN

Great write-up. Where did you purchase the clips?
ROBNPEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:53 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

That technique and the many others like it explain all the debris found inside all the new trailers, those shards have to go somewhere. For another look at "true craftsmanship" just crawl under your trailer and look a the cutouts for the fenders. I've not had one that didn't look like a blind man didn't take of with a dull sabre saw trying to "feel" his way through an arc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:48 AM   #14
bigdave_185

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
That technique and the many others like it explain all the debris found inside all the new trailers, those shards have to go somewhere. For another look at "true craftsmanship" just crawl under your trailer and look a the cutouts for the fenders. I've not had one that didn't look like a blind man didn't take of with a dull sabre saw trying to "feel" his way through an arc.

I was just under mine and it looks like they let a rabid dog chew them up. Then cover it all with that god awful plastic wheel well cover junk using two inch screws for some reason.
can you image what the quality control officer looks like?
bigdave_185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:56 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The holes behind the tail lights on my Cougar are "unique to that trailer only"... The roadside hole is a 2" circular cutout, probably cut with a hole saw from the even, round shape. The curbside hole is "round on one edge" but is over an aluminum stringer, so there's a "hand cut, freeform hole" to extend it another 1.5" toward the side of the trailer. That hole is big enough to reach inside to grope for the wiring bundle.... Thank goodness for lots of butyl putty tape and ProSeal sealant !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-06-2021, 03:15 PM   #16
merchjo

Looking to do this, can you post where you got the clips and part number. Thanks
merchjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #17
vampress_me

Quote:
When I was last at the factory, there were two "workers" on the roof of a travel trailer, before the TPO membrane was installed. They were "drilling holes" for tank vents. The method they were using was not a drill and hole saw, nor was it an auger or drill bit... They were using a standard claw hammer, "smacking the OSB decking with the hammer" and then forcing the hammer in a circular manner to enlarge the hole....

It's no surprise that the appearance of your shower floor resembles the holes in the roof decking.....

When I pointed that out to the "tour guide", he shrugged his shoulders and changed the subject back to how the TPO membrane adhesive is applied to the decking.....
Interesting to read this, John. When my dad was younger, he worked briefly at a mobile home manufacturer. He said that the way the guys there would “drill a hole” in the floor of a mobile home for wiring or plumbing was to use a claw hammer and hit until there was a hole….sounds like nothing has changed in 60-some years….

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:36 AM   #18
hawghauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchjo View Post
Looking to do this, can you post where you got the clips and part number. Thanks
Most hardware stores Lowe's has them ask the hardware attendant for plastic Christmas tree fasteners ( this is slang I don't have a clue what theyre really called another source is the local body shop supply house
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:04 PM   #19
LHaven

A photo would be so nice... I can't even imagine what a "plastic Christmas tree fastener" is.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:34 AM   #20
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
A photo would be so nice... I can't even imagine what a "plastic Christmas tree fastener" is.

This is what he means
Attached Images

2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade