Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2021, 02:03 AM   #1
Kiwi

Size Question

Hi Everyone,
I am brand new here but joined as I have a question please if someone can help.
I am on the market right now for a new 5th wheel and where it's ending up I have legal requirement on length.
The maximum I am allowed is 39.4' from the king pin to the rear of the unit and I am getting various opinions on where measurements are taken from & even one opposition brand I looked at was wrong on their own web site.
The units I/We would like is the 2022 3763FL which is listed as 41'.

So by chance does someone out there actually have this model that would be kind enough to drop a plumb bob from the pin and measure it to the rear?
I can easy remove the rear bumper so to the back wall would suffice.

I could also look at using a shorter pin box as the truck being used to pull is a Nissan UD Quon that will be modified solely for this purpose if it was close.

Some say the measurement is from the king pin and other say from the very front of the cap.

One brand had a size of 44' from the kingpin but in fact that was overall and 41.3 was from the kingpin.

Not that it's important but might interest some, the first stop for this unit is Japan for 2 years up and down the country, then on to the UK and Europe then down to Australia for a year or so before ending up in my home country of New Zealand.

Thank you in advance,
Lindsay
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:59 AM   #2
RickV

Not sure if this helps https://www.keystonerv.com/product/m...orplans/3763BP

My 5er is 3790FK and is 41.5' the Front Living version is the 3700FL and it is also 41.5. There are some Front Living 5ers that are under 40'

Mine is in for warranty service or I would measure it for you.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:04 AM   #3
Kiwi

Thank you

Thank you for responding but not really sorry. Its listed as 41' yes but from where to where is the important thing. Some even include the rear ladder as part of that measurement. I can easy remove ladders and bumpers. Its from the king pin to the rear wall thats important for me. But again thank you for taking the time out to reply.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:07 AM   #4
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Thank you for responding but not really sorry. Its listed as 41' yes but from where to where is the important thing. Some even include the rear ladder as part of that measurement. I can easy remove ladders and bumpers. It's from the king pin to the rear wall that's important for me. But again, thank you for taking the time out to reply.
I think your best answer will come from your DMV. IMO the vehicle should not be sold in a state it cannot be registered in.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:39 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Just curious, what's it cost to liscence and insure that setup in Japan? While trucks that size are used globally, I can't imagine towing a big fiver with a large truck thru the streets and roads in the towns and villages in Europe to get to a campground.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote