Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #1
Corrie1972

Key tv system

Bought a new 2021 Alpine 3910RK. Picked it up and the TV's worked fine. Spent 1 night in a RV park about 25 miles round trip from home. Now, none of the TV's will get digital channels. Keeps saying to scan again. Did hook up the firestick and that works fine.

I looked at past threads and saw where someone said to take off the box for the Key TV (light was lit up) and check to see if there were loose cables. Did that and in fact some were loose. Put it back together and still nothing. Of course Campers World says we know nothing. I'm on west coast and Keystone customer service is closed. Wondering if anyone here has any other ideas.

Thank you,
Corrie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Were you going from OTA (over the air, i.e. using the antenna) then to cable? While the KeyTV will automatically change over the input to the tv you still must change the tv input from antenna to cable anc do a channel scan. If changing locations you must rescan the channels on the tvs even if the source hasn't changed.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:42 PM   #3
Corrie1972

No. It hasn't been hooked up to cable. We made sure all cords were tight, scanned on air and nothing. Says to rescan. Just to try (thinking maybe something was reversed) we did try the cable scan. Put it back to air and nothing. Thank you
Old 10-19-2021, 03:51 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You said the "TVs worked fine" and now they don't. When they "worked fine" were you scanning OTA channels or using some other input? Lots of variables you need to quantify. I've had a bad KeyTV box (light worked fine) and a bad TV (wouldn't scan OTA channels) - but they never did. Cable TV would work fine as well as my Firestick.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:00 PM   #5
Corrie1972

When picking up from the dealer, on our property and the first night in RV park all TV's worked over the air. Had lots of digital channels. Came home from the first night at the RV park and tried to use the TV. We were "glamping" on our property with full 50 Amp hookup. No TV channels. Scanned on air .. no channels. So tried again on cable, no channels. Tried again on air, no channels. Looked here on a thread that said to pull the box and check the cables in there for loose ones. A couple were so we tightened them up and but the box back. The Key Tv box that is in the cubby on the outside by the water connections. We have since left to Quartzsite as we have reservations for the season there. We are in a park with full hookups (no cable). Tried everything again (checking cables to every TV, key tv box, scanning both air and cable) And we did try all 3 TVS several times
I dont know if perhaps something came loose up on the roof?
Old 10-19-2021, 04:10 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

In that case it sure sounds like the cable to the antenna may have come off during your trip. One of those "hanging on by a thread" situations.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I would agree that it sounds plausable that the connection at the antenna likely came loose.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:30 PM   #8
Corrie1972

Thank you both. I was hoping maybe there is a reset or something easy I was missing. Wish me luck with Keystone in the morning ��
Old 10-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

If you have more trips planned I'd suggest getting an inexpensive antenna that you can stick to z window. It may get you a couple of channels while your waiting for a service appointment.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:34 PM   #10
ChuckS

Something folks tend to forget with the KeyTV module... EVEN THOUGH the BLUE LED is lit up that DOES NOT mean that the KeyTV module is actually sending 12 volts DC along the center wire of the coac cable from the KeyTV module up to the ROOF OTA Antenna...

Many of these modules have this exact failure... Blue LED is ON but NO 12 volts is being sent to the OTA antenna...

Without 12 volts DC power the OTA antenna built in PREAMP will not work and you WILL NOT receive any TV stations..

This is simple to check by removing the coax that's connected on the backside of the KeyTV module and measure at center pin connection of the KeyTV module coax connecter and threaded portion of same connector for 12 volts DC

IF YOU HAVE NO 12 volts DC measured the KEYTV MODULE HAS FAILED

IF you HAVE 12 volts DC when measured with coax removed the the OTA antenna either has a loose coax cable at the roof end OR the preamp in the OTA antenna has failed...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Key TV MSSC Troubleshooting Guide (1).pdf (1.73 MB, 307 views)

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:38 AM   #11
Corrie1972

Thank you. Will check this next. As we are in Quartzsite, Keystone has authorized either 2 dealers local for repairs (drive to them) or will allow a mobile mechanic to repair with reimbursement. But before making appointment, I will double check again the connections on the box for power.. Thank you again.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:54 AM   #12
CedarCreekWoody

That is good news. I don't recall Keystone authorizing a mobile tech previously.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:47 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie1972 View Post
Thank you. Will check this next. As we are in Quartzsite, Keystone has authorized either 2 dealers local for repairs (drive to them) or will allow a mobile mechanic to repair with reimbursement. But before making appointment, I will double check again the connections on the box for power.. Thank you again.
Let us know what they find and hopefully it will get fixed soon.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:50 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie1972 View Post
Double check with Keystone before calling a mobile mechanic... I'd suspect that you misunderstood what Keystone told you. Typically, they will allow a mobile mechanic to repair a warranty component, only on trailers with a detachable tongue assembly. That's the "Destination trailers" not "travel trailers or fifth wheels. BUT (always a but) they will only pay for the mechanic's work on the warranty item. They will not pay for the "mobile charges"... So, if a dealership repairs it, you likely won't be charged, but if a mobile mechanic repairs it, if $100 of the repairs are determined to be "mobile/travel charges" then Keystone won't pay for that and you'll be responsible for the "mobile charges"....

Don't think that Keystone is going to pay for "mobile charges"... The current Keystone Owner's Manual specifically states: Service Calls (except for Travel Trailers with a detachable A-Frame) or repairs completed by Non-Authorized dealers are not warranted by Keystone.

Before you incur charges that Keystone won't pay for, verify what they told you and get the name and phone number of the person approving the mobile repair to be done.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:20 AM   #15
Lmgsnyder

I hope you have better luck with Keystone than I did. we have a 2019 avalanche. TV worked with getting some channels for awhile. Then it became very sporadic. Chalked it up to location until the people next to us with a Grand Design were getting 30 over the air channels and we were getting nothing. replaced the KeyTV box (at our cost) and that didnt help. Wiring was checked by dealer and didnt find any loose ones. Works on external antenna we attached direct to TV. Works on Firestick. Works on satellite. So not in TV. Covid hit so I am past my 1 year now and Keystone wont warranty anything even though it started before year was up. Let me know if you figure anything out. would love to get mine to work.
Lmgsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote