Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #1
docwade87

Sway Bar/WD Hitch assembly issue

To make a story short months ago, I had to try and get past a deep part in road coming out of gas station. Even though going very slow, the angle, weight and force bent the L bracket part of the e2 weight distribution hitch. I replaced the L bracket. A few trips later and I keep having issues with the bracket that clamps around the frame sliding back. Upon further notice the frame part has an indention in it. Thinking it’s why it slides easily back there even when properly torqued. Pics showing issue best I can. Any idea on how to overcome this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BA771FDE-FFEE-4E12-A64B-3E25B6168D78.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	28571   Click image for larger version

Name:	91A33157-313E-45D9-B2B6-492C1E05E511.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	28572  
docwade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I'm assuming it bent the L bracket inward (into the frame) and caused the dent? Have you pulled that bracket to make sure there is no additional damage to the frame? You might even look all the way back to where the tongue framing welds to the trailer frame to make sure something wasn't stressed there. If all looks good I would cinch it down past the recommended torque which was meant for a square frame vs one bent and indented. Seems torque is supposed to be about 45lbs? You might try upping that to maybe 60. You might even call Progressive to see if they have an idea or get info on the max torque those nuts/bolts can take.

Come to think of it, isn't there a range of like 5" that you can place that L bracket? Can you just move the 2 sides forward or back and get off the indented position?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
docwade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm assuming it bent the L bracket inward (into the frame) and caused the dent? Have you pulled that bracket to make sure there is no additional damage to the frame? You might even look all the way back to where the tongue framing welds to the trailer frame to make sure something wasn't stressed there. If all looks good I would cinch it down past the recommended torque which was meant for a square frame vs one bent and indented. Seems torque is supposed to be about 45lbs? You might try upping that to maybe 60. You might even call Progressive to see if they have an idea or get info on the max torque those nuts/bolts can take.

Come to think of it, isn't there a range of like 5" that you can place that L bracket? Can you just move the 2 sides forward or back and get off the indented position?
It did bend it towards the frame. Wasn’t going fast enough to cause any issue on the rest and have checked it all as well. Everything is good as far as that goes from what I can see. It just bent the l bracket towards the frame but didn’t cripple it.

Over torquing the actual brackets causes the outside of the bracket to warp outwards overtime, creating less friction/contact point. Figured that out the hard way too. The torque settings are 65lbs/ft for Bracket on frame and 75lbs/foot For the bolts securing the L brackets.

I thought about moving both sides forward an inch but that would cause me to have to move and re-drill the anchor points for the LP tank brackets. The distribution brackets are slam up on the LP tank system to get proper length on the bars themselves.

I just readjusted the bracket again to line it up to where it’s supposed to be and not at severe angle when it slips. Will take it for a short ride to see what it does in a couple days.

Just seeing if anyone has any other ideas. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

You replaced the L bracket but it looks to me like the flat bar behind the L bracket is bent. I'd take it off and lay it on a flat surface or use a straight edge and see if it's bent.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:31 PM   #5
docwade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
You replaced the L bracket but it looks to me like the flat bar behind the L bracket is bent. I'd take it off and lay it on a flat surface or use a straight edge and see if it's bent.
It is slightly bowed outward. As mentioned previously that came from over torquing the bolts of the actual bracket to try and hold it tighter. That issue was found out the hard-way too lol. Am going to replace that as well. But not certain that will keep it from sliding. Hoping it will due to greater surface area contact.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:35 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwade87 View Post
It is slightly bowed outward. As mentioned previously that came from over torquing the bolts of the actual bracket to try and hold it tighter. That issue was found out the hard-way too lol. Am going to replace that as well. But not certain that will keep it from sliding. Hoping it will due to greater surface area contact.
It's got to help as currently with the bow in it you are not contacting 100% of the frame surface.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
docwade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
It's got to help as currently with the bow in it you are not contacting 100% of the frame surface.
Definitely going to try before moving things and drilling more holes

Tags
hitch