Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2020, 12:13 PM   #1
Grumpy Camper

Question screen door issues?

I was hoping i could find out if the screen door on my RV should stay with the main door when opened and closed? Every time we open the main door the screen door needs to be opened as well. Is this normal?
It's a 2020 Cougar 1/2 ton 29RES
Thanks!
Grumpy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #2
Roscommon48

if I am understanding your question, yes. You open both doors and then disconnect the screen door if you want the door to remain open.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a "plastic catch" on the screen door that latches on a plastic catch on the main door. They "should" open as a single unit, then when you "push the lever" the screen door unlatches from the main door.

If that plastic "thing-a-ma-bob" is broken or not catching on the other plastic "doo-hickey" then the two doors may not be latching as a single unit.

The screen door (on most RV's) is just "spring roller latched" to the main door frame when attached to the main door. Once separated, there's usually a mechanical latch that has a lever you need to push to open the screen door.

So, the two doors should "open together" as one unit and once open, if you separate the screen door and close it, there should be a mechanical latch to keep it closed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #4
Grumpy Camper

Thanks for your Help! My door does not work as one, looks like the plastic catch on the screen door does not lock in to the main doorlike it should...
Not sure if it's possible to adjust.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't think there's much adjustment that you can do. Either it works or it doesn't. If it's not broken, it should work. That said:

The next time you're at a RV dealership, stop and take a look at how the screen door attaches on a new trailer. As far as I know, they haven't changed the mechanism in the past 5 or 10 years, so what's on your trailer is the same as what you'll see on a new one. Compare them and go from there.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

You might look at the little latch mechanism that attaches the screen to the door. I don't recall seeing any adjustment, or adjusting one (I've adjusted screens but not that part that I recall), but there might be some play if you loosen it and realign it? Of course that all depends on if it's slightly missing the door or broken off.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
Grumpy Camper

thanks for all your help, sad to say this is a brand new unit, i will try and loosen all the hardware, hope that helps!
Old 04-24-2020, 02:16 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If it's a new unit, it may have been broken by someone pulling on the door while it sat on the lot, Lots of people honestly don't care how they "treat" something that doesn't belong to them... And the dealership may have overlooked it during the PDI...

A word of caution about "damaged/broken items" on trailers. The longer you wait, the less likely Keystone will be to accept something that's broken as a warranty repair... AND: the adjustments of doors, slides, awnings, etc is only covered during the first 90 days, so the longer you wait, the less likely you'll be successful in having it repaired under warranty....

Believe it or not, screen door hardware, depending on the brand of door can run upwards of $40-50 for just the parts, so don't delay getting it reported to your dealership if it's something you can't "easily fix yourself"... It could be the beginning of a "love/hate relationship" with your dealer and Keystone if you expect one thing and the factory does something else, because you "sat on it too long before reporting the problem".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-24-2020, 02:22 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Typically they are like this. https://www.walmart.com/ip/RV-Screen...BoCMswQAvD_BwE
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Camper View Post
thanks for all your help, sad to say this is a brand new unit, i will try and loosen all the hardware, hope that helps!
If it can't be adjusted, and it is brand new, instead of trying to take it in to the dealer you might be able to get them to send you the part if you can identify what is broken, take pictures and submit it to the dealer with an explanation of the situation. I've done that a couple of times on piece parts. You want to be careful and not do anything that might void any future warranty on your door/door parts. And like was mentioned previously, I've seen folks slam, yank and bang RV doors on the dealer lot either from not caring or having no idea how they work.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #11
Grumpy Camper

Thank you for the heads up on the warranty! Not much time!
Old 04-24-2020, 02:39 PM   #12
Grumpy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Looks just like that!
Old 04-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Great! Here's an install video from Etrailer that may help.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen door