Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2019, 06:32 AM   #1
Comandercody

OTA TV Channels not found on scan

New to the forum. We have a 2018 Fuzion 369 5er. It has 3 TV’s, main, master bed and garage. Ensuring that the antenna amplifier is turned on, I can only get OTA channels on the TV in the garage. No channels, after multiple scans, on the main TV or the bedroom tv. I have swapped coax cables to try and troubleshoot, but that did not fix the issue. I found a Splitter behind the amplifier switch which was located above the master bed. Only two “outputs” from that splitter and one was the garage TV. I should also note that I have received channels on these TVs in the past, but not now. I can not locate any wiring diagram for this model. There must be another splitter somewhere, but it’s not behind the main tv or the bedroom tv, or at least that I could see and attempt to pull out from behind the walls......
Comandercody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:34 AM   #2
Comandercody

Pic of splitter above master bed

Pic of splitter above master bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D64FF09F-6C48-4741-BE6F-38D39AE3FEB3.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	23311  
Comandercody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
Bostongone

Why is that coax at the top not connected to anything? I would suspect that it probably needs to go to the outlet on the splitter that does not have the plastic cap on it
Old 08-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
Comandercody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostongone View Post
Why is that coax at the top not connected to anything? I would suspect that it probably needs to go to the outlet on the splitter that does not have the plastic cap on it

It was connected when I pulled it out. I took the picture after I switched the two “outputs” cables to eliminate a bad port on the splitter.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
Bostongone

OK, probably was a stupid question! I assume then that you have identified the cable that goes to the good tv. I would label it to prevent any confusion. For the other cable I would tug on that a bit to see if there is another splitter in the wall but that makes no sense with a 4 way splitter right there? Do you plug one of the tvs right into that amplifer/splitter that has the black/orange/grey coax's connected to it and does it work?
Old 08-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #6
LHaven

I'm still puzzled as to why nothing seems to be connected to the coax fitting on the rear of the plate. That's not where you are plugging in your "bedroom TV," is it?
Old 08-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #7
Comandercody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostongone View Post
OK, probably was a stupid question! I assume then that you have identified the cable that goes to the good tv. I would label it to prevent any confusion. For the other cable I would tug on that a bit to see if there is another splitter in the wall but that makes no sense with a 4 way splitter right there? Do you plug one of the tvs right into that amplifer/splitter that has the black/orange/grey coax's connected to it and does it work?

I did tug, but was cautious not to pull too hard. Nothing else came within reaching distance. Plugging in the bedroom tv to that splitter is my next experiment this weekend(camper is 2 hours from home).

Thank you.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #8
Comandercody

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I'm still puzzled as to why nothing seems to be connected to the coax fitting on the rear of the plate. That's not where you are plugging in your "bedroom TV," is it?

No, the bedroom tv plugs into the coax outlet behind the tv. The coax fitting pictured is on the opposite wall of the bedroom above the master bed. FWIW, the coax fitting with nothing connected to it is labeled “Aux”
Old 08-20-2019, 02:30 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

You won’t find any wiring diagrams. At this point I would start testing coax and then labeling it as I map it out. I’ve seen lots of different issues over the years. Something like this will help you identify and troubleshoot.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-C...ester/50278121

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
Bostongone

I don’t know how far you were from the transmitting towers when you were having this issue but I suspect the 1 to 4 splitter pictured may be contributing to the problem. My bedroom tv will work off of a weak signal while the main tv refuses to pick up anything or is really marginal. In my case the bedroom tv runs directly off of the black wire going to the 1 to 4 splitter and the main tv is plugged in the front of his coax assembly pictured. In this case each tv is getting about 50% of the antenna signal.

In your case there is no tv connected to the front of this coax assembly so the 50% signal is going to the 1 to 4 splitter where it is further reduced. In this case to 25% of the incoming signal so the actual output from each port will be approx. 12.5 % of the antenna signal (50% divided by 4). The working tv which I am “assuming” is directly connected with no splitters may be happy with 12.5% however the other two tv’s are running off another splitter so each will be getting about 6.25% of the antenna signal. This will be too low if you are distant from the towers.

You need to replace the 1 to 4 splitter with a quality 1 to 2 splitter even if it is not the actual problem in this case. Now the signal going to the currently working tv will be 25% of the antenna signal and the other two tv’s sharing another 1 to 2 splitter will be getting 12.5%. Still “only” 12.5% but may be enough again not knowing how distant you were.

The other issue with the 1 to 4 splitter is that the unused outputs are not terminated and while not necessarily related to this problem can cause a noisy picture on the other tv’s.

The other 1 to 2 splitter I assume is in the wall behind the closest non-working tv to the coax assembly pictured so I would pull the plate and have a look there and check for tightness. They wouldn’t actually run the coax to the farthest tv first, would they?

Please refer to the Channel Master link for information about splitters.
https://support.channelmaster.com/hc...2HD-CM-3213HD-

Again may not be your actual problem but splitters can be your enemy when there are too many or as in the case of the 1 to 4 being misapplied.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:09 PM   #11
Snoking

You can put a short jumper between the two front side connections and run the bedroom TV cable off the back of the Aux barrel connector. Or is the Bedroom TV already connected to that front output? Chris
Old 08-28-2019, 03:41 AM   #12
Comandercody

After additional searching, there is another 4 way splitter behind the first 4 way splitter. I was able to pull it out of the outlet hole, and by using a cable tone generator(excellent suggestion btw), and toning out the cables I needed, found where each cable went. Ended up labeling all cables and bypassing the 2nd 4 way splitter altogether. Now I have OTA TV on all 3 TV’s!!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7929.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	653.4 KB
ID:	23451
Old 08-28-2019, 06:35 AM   #13
Bostongone

Wow! Apparently they were having a sale on 4 way splitters! But even so if all three tv cables were present why even think of using a second 4 way? So those two TVs were actually getting only 3.25% of the antenna signal and now all TVs are each getting 12.5% of the antenna signal. Quite an improvement! Still might need to put a 75 ohm terminator on the remaining unused output port.
Glad it’s been resolved!