Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
Maxpowers

WD Hitch Air Bag setup

Good day. We bought a new rig and with that we bought a new WD hitch and had the dealer set it up. Once that was done he told me in needed airbags because my truck was sagging low in the rear, which it was. So I had some awesome Firestone airbags installed and they are sweet.

My question is how do I get the airbag pressure right without adding weight to the rear axle by using incorrect pressures as I have been warned by someone with no answers just an armchair expert.

My thought is I will measure the fender heights from and back, then connect the trailer and WD hitch, th n use the air bags to raise truck till the OG fender heights are again matched.

Is this the right way to resolve this?

I would appreciate any input, anyone could share, thank you.

2019 Bullet 265rbwe
2011 F150 4wd 5.0 l
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A85A591-FFD4-47DB-8C5D-0D65AABC81C9.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	20777  
Maxpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
slow

Without any air in the air bags, adjust your WD system per the manufacture’s instructions. Then air up the bags to level.

Note that the air bags have no meaningful effect on transferring weight back to the front wheels of the TV. The weight transfer has to come from the WD. If unable to transfer the weight to what is recommended means you were sold bars with too little capacity.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
Maxpowers

Copy that.

Thank you.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #4
packrat1969

Maxpowers,

On an unrelated side note here, it appears that you and I have similar tow vehicles as well as electric tongue jacks. I found that I was able to lower my tailgate completely if I rotated the motor housing of the tongue jack 90 degrees to the side. This may work for you too if you have clearance issues.

packrat

TT: 2017 2520RL, Twin Trojan T105s, BM-1 Compact, Xantrex SW1000, Curt Roundbar WDH

TV: Mostly stock 2016 Bluejeans F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew 5.0, 6.5' bed...
packrat1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
Maxpowers

Packrat

I did not know that. Did you unbolt the 3 main bolts at the frame and turn?

That is great I am already irritated by not being able to open tailgate when connected.

Thanks man.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
Maxpowers

Just got back from first camping trip of the year and it was awesome.

Sitting outside last 2 nights having some bevi’s was awesome.

Camping rocks.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:35 AM   #7
packrat1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpowers View Post
Packrat

I did not know that. Did you unbolt the 3 main bolts at the frame and turn?

That is great I am already irritated by not being able to open tailgate when connected.

Thanks man.
Maxpowers,
I found that I could loosen the set screws binding the tongue jack’s motor/control housing to the jack’s shaft. Then the housing would rotate to either side. I did not have to undo the bolts fastening the jack to the tongue. I guess you’ll have to check clearances on your set up, because you may have different brands of equipment/hardware.. I can post some pictures of what I did, but it will have to wait until I can retrieve my Passport in the next week or so. Still dealing with melting snow and mud here...

packrat
packrat1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:24 PM   #8
Drizz78

Readjust the hitch after airbag inflation.

I have a Fastway E2 WD hitch. I had a little sag after adjusting my hitch. I added airbags and reached out to Fastway. They stated that after finding the PSI I wanted to tow with, that I needed to readjust the hitch with that PSI in the bags then use that same PSI every time I tow. The reason being is that when you inflate the bags on a hitch that has been adjusted with empty air bags and you raise the rear with air pressure, you are taking away some of the weight distributing functions of the hitch. I ended up buying a WirelessONE onboard compressor to make life easy. Took about three hours to install myself. If you have any questions, reach out to your hitch manufacturer. They should be able to guide you through this.
Drizz78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch