Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #1
rsl

RV Insurance

Ok,
So I am shopping Insurance for my 5th wheel. Currently I have Nationwide and it is around $900 a year for an RV policy. My auto insurance company says they can add the fiver on my auto policy for about $150 a year. the auto company says I would be covered no matter if I am towing or parked. I trust them but this falls under if it sounds to good to be true issues. So I am looking for words of wisdom form the members here.
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:50 PM   #2
B-O-B'03

After I bought our trailer, my agent shopped it around... Progressive was 5 or $600... it was only $148 to add it to the auto policy... I went with that option.

I have been trying to decide whether or not to file a claim, after a couple of hail storms, the camper is under a shed, but one of the taillights and the spare tire cover were damaged and I am pretty sure the rear corner of the roof was hit, but there is no damage I can see.

-Brian
Old 08-03-2016, 01:10 AM   #3
rbev2308

It's hard to tell if your rate from Nationwide is high or your auto rider is low without knowing what type of camper we are talking about. I can tell you that my insurance company wanted 33% more for my 40' Alpine compared to what I ended up getting which was a bundled policy via Good Sams. I am not a Camping World fan but I have heard good stuff with the other products like the roadside assistance, insurance, etc. Whatever you do, try and get replacement value coverage not actual value or you may find yourself in a dire situation should you have a catastrophic event. I personally would rather have a company that deals with RV's exclusively versus my auto company sending out adjusters on processing of any claim. Plus I think you will find the rate cheaper versus the auto company. With respect to your quote of $150, I would ask to see what the coverage actually covers so you can compare. Some policy's only cover you while actually camping, some homeowners cover your stuff when sitting in your yard.....

http://www.goodsamrvinsurance.com/rv...-insurance.asp
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:27 AM   #4
xcntrk

Sounds like there's a little confusion in the responses in this thread. A non-motorized trailer (aka Travel Trailer, 5th Wheel, or Gooseneck open or enclosed) inherits liability coverage from the tow vehicle pulling it. Obviously that only covers liability in the event of damage or loss to another party, and does not cover your personal property.

So what you're buying is a separate comprehensive policy covering damage or loss to your trailer in the event of an accident. I got a quote from GoodSam Insurance and they were way high. Nearly $1k per year for a 65k coverage policy. I then tried another independent RV insurance broker and they were better, but try to include a bunch of other crap into their "bundled" coverage like disabled vehicle coverage, trip loss insurance, blah, blah. The best the broker could do was $800'ish for annual policy.

In the end I used my auto/home policy provider who ended up coming in the cheapest at $650 per year coverage and has the highest coverage limits 250/500/100k. I maintain a separate roadside assistance coverage (actually through Goodsam) and keep my repairs and damage/loss coverage separate.

Point here is that dedicated RV insurance providers try to steer owners away from conventional auto-policy providers claiming one size doesn't fit all, but the truth of the matter is you're like to get the best coverage and rate from your mainstream insurance provider!

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:52 AM   #5
rbev2308

I'm certainly not confused!!!! Just did not have enough info to provide solid advice. Each person does what they feel is best. Go ask all those people at the Cherrystone campground on the Virginia eastern shore where the tornado hit 2 years ago. The ones that got the best service were the ones that did not have riders on their auto or homeowners policy...Yes, you are covered liability wise when towing and yes, my homeowners covers me while my unit sits next to my house to an extent. The issue is while camping or traveling for a non-accident related issue. My advice is to simply ask what is covered and what is not and what value is covered! I guess I got lucky getting my policy for the actual replacement value for $588/yr.....
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:00 AM   #6
B-O-B'03

My policy is a replacement cost policy, for what I paid, new, for the camper.

The comprehensive deductible is $77, collision is $477 (who knows how they came up with those).

-Brian
Old 08-03-2016, 06:13 AM   #7
rsl

I guess my question was more of what are benefits of paying the extra money for dedicated RV policy vs just adding it as a "trailer" on my current auto policy
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:08 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

It's been a while since I dug through all the insurance "stuff" but we ended up putting our RV on our Geico home/auto policy. It was much less expensive than Good Sam's RV insurance and had as good coverage. Good Sam had a few little doo dads that meant nothing to us (Geico had their own little doo dads too) plus Geico not only has replacement value coverage, it replaces a totaled RV with a new current year model for the first 7 years.

We had to file a claim earlier this year due to a tire dismembering itself. The Geico adjuster was out to the dealership the day the trailer came in and I figured the damage was going to be $1200 or so. When he finished his estimate and gave it to CW it came to $6985!! They cut a check on the spot and boom, the work began; I am supposed to pick it up today or tomorrow. I am thoroughly pleased with Geico and the add on to our existing policy.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #9
instymp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
Ok,
So I am shopping Insurance for my 5th wheel. Currently I have Nationwide and it is around $900 a year for an RV policy. My auto insurance company says they can add the fiver on my auto policy for about $150 a year. the auto company says I would be covered no matter if I am towing or parked. I trust them but this falls under if it sounds to good to be true issues. So I am looking for words of wisdom form the members here.
Our 5er got totaled by a tornado 4 weeks ago & had nationwide, very happy with the way they settled.
But I didnt have ins. for the deck that was damaged.
Progressive, nationwide & Foremost all were about the same & ran about $700.00 without the deck.
I would be leary of $150.00
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
Coconutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It's been a while since I dug through all the insurance "stuff" but we ended up putting our RV on our Geico home/auto policy.
Did the same thing with the same ins. provider. I wasn't sure of what to do myself originally but after talking on the phone for over an hour and asking countless questions I felt this was the best idea. I did look at other options and all seemed comparable in coverages, only difference was the price and I like making only one payment to cover all of our autos and TT.

One size doesn't fit all in this case, it's all dependent on many factors as I can attest to and see here in the responses.

Coconutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:58 AM   #11
Travelingcircus

We also have a rider on our Allstate coverage. The premium is very low. Ive confirmed the coverages with our agent and im very satisfied with what is covered. Actually, your Homeowners plan, depending on the event of the claim, will kick in up to 10% of your HO coverage.
The only negative I see, is that full cost replacement is not available, just market value. But it is the same with Autos.
Travelingcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #12
larryi

Similar but related question, I am moving to the Charleston, SC area later this year where we will have to have flood insurance on the house for the first time. Is their special insurance for RVs in flood prone areas in a tropical storm/hurricane situation? I am just starting to research this but don't think my normal RV insurance will cover me in this situation. Thoughts? Thanks.
larryi is offline   Reply With Quote