Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Flabbytax

Black Tank not emptying....

So we finally got to the point where our black tank wasn't draining. I researched a product called the flush king. I purchased it today and I am happy to say it is helping us unclog the situation. Our tank was reading 2/3 full and now it is down to 1/3. We backfilled the tank after putting some chem into it and we will drain the tank tomorrow! I will keep informed. This device works better than our black tank flush does and I would recommend to anyone. Even if your tanks get flushed the regular way you would be amazed at the amount that is STILL in there. We purchased it at Camping World (internet sale) for $49.99 and that was a lot better than bringing it somewhere and waiting.
Flabbytax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Not to seem belittling, but you are using chemical treatments to "charge" the tank before use right? And you do wait until it is full before dumping?

I have to say that I have never had a black tank quit draining. If my black tank only shows 1/3, I will fill it with water before dumping. And I leave the valve closed during use.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:48 AM   #3
therink

Over the years, I have learned to ignore my black tank level gauge. These things are never accurate. Just because the gauge reads 1/3 or 2/3 full doesn't mean it isn't draining, it means that the gauge sensors detect an object stuck to the sidewall of the tank.
What is more important is to add plenty of water to the tank before dumping and flush the tank out regularly. After dumping, I immediately add about 5 gals of water to the tank so the tank is never dry, even between trips.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:39 AM   #4
GaryWT

As said, was it not emptying or were the sensors just blocked? If it is clogged then yes it will not empty but if the sensors are covered then all is fine and you just have to pay attention to things, know how long it takes to fill etc. I do not pay much attention to the panel and usually flush out the tank a couple times a year. Many people do use a flush king but I have never owned one. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #5
BulletOwner1

I'll just add my 2 cents here for what it's worth.

Black tank gauges are notoriously unreliable. On our TT the toilet dumps directly into the tank so it's easy to check the level and for me to use the hand held wand to clean the tank when necessary. It is a pain to drag the hose in to do that but I do end up with a clean tank.

As said earlier, add water after dumping/cleaning and if you use the treatment it goes in then also.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
mom2budnbug

We learned the hard way. Water is your friend! As well as the tablets, organic, or chems that you choose to add to tank.The more water you have in the tank before emptying, the better. We also know that the readings for the black tank and the gray tank are not always accurate, that seems quite common.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:58 AM   #7
Lost

I've never found our black tank gauge to be accurate. One trick I use when I bring our 5th home is after emptying it and flushing it at the campground I put 5 gallons of water in it and then add 3 bags of ice. By the time we get home the tank is totaly clean.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:07 AM   #8
Javi

Odd man out I guess...

But all I've ever done to any of my waste holding tanks is to add 5 gallons or so of water to the black tank before a trip, use plenty of water when flushing the toilet and before heading home (after dumping all the tanks and flushing the black tank) I add a few squeezes of Ivory or Dawn dish soap and 5 gallons of water to all the waste tanks. By the time I get home its ready to be dumped and flushed until all are clean.. I've never had an odor from the black, grey or galley tanks since I began this process..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:17 AM   #9
CampinNC

Add Ice

I add ice and a cup of detergent before our trip home. It swishes all around and cleans the black tank!

I am thankful for all the tips and tricks about the black tanks. I have had a hard time with getting mine clean ... until I learned of the ice and washing machine detergent!

Good luck!

~M~
2011 Keystone Bullet 200EXP
2006 Nissan Armada
CampinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
mazboy123

black water tank

I've never had a tank where the sensors worked correctly.

I just figure out how many days I've used the toilet and then dump.

to have your tank dump correctly let it fill up and then dump...that simple.
and make sure you have put treatment chemicals in it too.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #11
mom2budnbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Odd man out I guess...

But all I've ever done to any of my waste holding tanks is to add 5 gallons or so of water to the black tank before a trip, use plenty of water when flushing the toilet and before heading home (after dumping all the tanks and flushing the black tank) I add a few squeezes of Ivory or Dawn dish soap and 5 gallons of water to all the waste tanks. By the time I get home its ready to be dumped and flushed until all are clean.. I've never had an odor from the black, grey or galley tanks since I began this process..
Never thought about Ivory or Dawn. The dealer that helped us with our tank issue recommended pine sol for the final trip/flush of the season.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote