Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2022, 09:24 AM   #21
Hballer21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
The worst part of a long piece of aluminum being shipped is having the crate built. CW in Myrtle Beach gave me the option of fast shipping but paying for a heavy wooden crate built to ship in or wait until a unit was being shipped to them they could fit it inside. I waited.
My roofer said he would fabricate a panel for me. They have folding equipment for aluminum roof pieces. (The little woman said NO).

So, I guess that’s just an FYI for others. LOL
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 09:34 AM   #22
dutchmensport

Isn't that why it's called an "estimate"? They are "estimating" what the final cost will be. I'm sure, somewhere on the "estimate" details they provided, the word "estimate" appears somewhere? This means, the quoted figures are their best guess, but it's not the final price, which could be more or less?

What they should have done was, when the true cost exceeded the "estimate" price, they should have contacted you for your approval for the added expense. My repair shops, both automotive and RV have always done that.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:51 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hballer21 View Post
Unfortunately, I learned MY LESSON at Explore USA in Lewisville, Texas. Same deal. Promise something. This is the total price. When it’s done, Oh, well that was parts only. We didn’t know how long it would take to fix it. We put that in at the end.

I think the motor vehicle repair laws have an issue with this. However, you’d be tying up your rig for however long until this was resolved.

Zip ahead. The moron in the motor home next to my trailer, cannot back up. WITH HIS WIFE GUIDING HIM, he crushes our skirting, much like yours. I take it to CW. They’re pretty much the only boys around within an hour of Waynesville, NC.

Bottom line: We can fix it. It’s gonna take 2-3 months. Oh, and it’s going to cost “about $3000-$3500”. WTF? “About”?

I went to a local body shop. Please fix this. Ok. It’ll be the part, plus $500 labor. Ok. So he calls Keystone for the part. Sorry, only authorized retailers can order parts from us. Guess who is the ONLY one around? Camping World. Bottom line, We paid their price for the part ($1000). The body shop had it done in less than a week.

Shop local.

I feel your pain, and hindsight seems to always be 20/20.... So, this is a comment, not a recommendation....

If the plastic fender skirt is what was damaged, they're available from a number of "non-dealer sites" and the average cost is somewhere around $60-100. J-wrap, the aluminum lower skirting is available in multiple colors or can be painted to match the existing trailer color if the OEM color is not available. Usually, a 168" section of 17 or 19" J-wrap is around $200.... That's a 14' piece of metal. Shipping is almost always more expensive than the actual part, but sometimes a dealer will have some that's left over from another job or can get it from their "contract supplier" who has a delivery truck that makes deliveries to the dealer on a scheduled basis. Our local dealer has a contract with a company out of Elkhart and gets deliveries every Thursday morning... Shipping from that supplier is included in the price with no "extra charges"...

Paying $1000 for a plastic fender skirt or a 10-14 foot section of J-wrap sure seems like "highway robbery"... A dealer doing that would not find another of my shadows darkening their doorway.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 04:14 PM   #24
tomd

My experience so much similar...
I tried CW #2 200 miles away since CW #1 near my house was so bad. I went in person while on a trip to the distant store; Nicest people; ordered parts and scheduled installation 3 months later when I was planning to return to area.
One week prior to my appt. (~11 weeks later), I called and confirmed installation appointment and was told "parts s/b there". Left on 200 mile trip that day and one week later, as planned, showed up. NO PARTS. Turns out order was placed day I called to confirm. Shipment did not make it whole week I was in the area.
So.... I say ship to store near my house. OK, but got to pay more $$$$ to ship it. So I cancelled, got refund nobody ever found the parts or called me again.

Started all over w/ store CW #1. Eventually got it done using 'rush' etc wording; Learned to call "EVERY DAY" until parts ordered and confirmed delivery and installation times. And yes, not new order was not same as original price (sale didn't apply for some reason on new order.)

My take: the 'store' 'parts' and 'labor shop' are different organizations, and each + other stores don't cooperate.
Examples: The shop would not use an item in stock in store, parts purchased don't have labor. Scheduling labor doesn't mean they have the parts ordered etc. It's like 3 companies! All were nice and cooperative, but unable to deliver.
Now I need a J skirt repair too; beginning another round of same deal.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:57 PM   #25
slider909

Had a car painted, there was a guy who did the body work and his partner who did the painting. Price was about $500 more than quoted. The quote didn't include labor from the body guy. Actually it wasn't a problem paying the extra, the car, a 300zx, the paint and body work was flawless. It was just strange that the labor wasn't included. I've used them a few times since then, make sure it's a all inclusive estimate.
slider909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 04:21 PM   #26
larryflew

Small claims court. Depending on your state laws there is almost always a max percentage they can bill above the estimate. Let them explain it to a judge.