Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2023, 08:44 AM   #1
Camping family

Permanent spot

While decided to place our camper on a permanent spot for this year. Found a nice place close by. Has pool for the wife, on the water with a boat ramp for me a large dog park for the pups. A small on site store. Question is, is there anything special I should be concerned with or need to do. The site is gravel so I’m thinking get a couple 2x12 to park on so tires are not sitting on the gravel. When not at the site will bring in the slides and turn water off. Got tire covers to put on. Any other suggestion/thoughts.?
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:43 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

You might check the campground out on campgroundreviews.com to see what folks say about the park. You might check the speed tests for the 4G LTE signals (or 5G) and see which phone service offers best coverage. You might check comments regarding the park WiFi if they have it. Find out if a water pressure regulator is needed and if the trailer is to be parked and not attended, perhaps an inside mounted EMS.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:34 AM   #3
dutchmensport

If you don't have one already, an EMS (surge protector) for the camper. Considering you will be leaving the camper unattended between visits, I recommend an on-board EMS rather than a portable one at the shore power pedestal. They are absolutely worth every penny they cost, considering one bad second of dirty power and every electronic device in your camper could be fried. In a campground, where the power demands are high when everyone is present can cause low voltage which is equally as damaging as a spike or high voltage. Even if you are right there, the EMS is probably the best insurance you'll ever buy.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:52 PM   #4
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
If you don't have one already, an EMS (surge protector) for the camper. Considering you will be leaving the camper unattended between visits, I recommend an on-board EMS rather than a portable one at the shore power pedestal. They are absolutely worth every penny they cost, considering one bad second of dirty power and every electronic device in your camper could be fried. In a campground, where the power demands are high when everyone is present can cause low voltage which is equally as damaging as a spike or high voltage. Even if you are right there, the EMS is probably the best insurance you'll ever buy.
Thank you I have one. Was one of the first things purchased when camp was bought.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:54 PM   #5
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Have ems and talked with residents at the camp ground. Everyone has nothing but good things to say about it.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:50 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

My advice is to talk with your new neighbors and make friends. Find out who's reliable and appears somewhat trustworthy. Exchange cell phone numbers and ask them to let you know if anything out of the ordinary happens. Most folks are happy to do this, especially if they know you appreciate the concern and won't think you will be upset by "sticking their nose into your buisness."
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:56 AM   #7
Pearlie

We're in a seasonal site, and we have exchanged phone numbers so if anyone sees something amiss with their sites or rvs we can alert the owners. It's worked well. We go to the site a couple of times during the season to check the rv, and we'll send a report about their sites/rvs to our neighbors (those who want one). It has worked well and been a good way to keep in touch with our neighbors.
Pearlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:01 AM   #8
Domino3665

Get to know the neighbors. Swap phone numbers. If any issues pop up when you’re gone, they are more likely to let you know. Probably cost you a couple of cold beers. ����
Domino3665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 06:02 AM   #9
Canoefire

Chech your insurance

Make sure your insurance coverage on your camper covers you while you’re in a permanent spot. I had to change coverages when I went to a permanent spot. My old coverage did not cover me in a permanent spot.
Canoefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:34 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoefire View Post
Make sure your insurance coverage on your camper covers you while you’re in a permanent spot. I had to change coverages when I went to a permanent spot. My old coverage did not cover me in a permanent spot.
Excellent point. My insurance (Progressive) wanted to know if I used the camper on an occasional (don't recall exact wording) basis but the intent was to find out if I was a weekend camper or full timer. If the camper is at a permanent site I am guessing that an insurance company might take that as full timing... not sure.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote