Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2022, 09:56 AM   #41
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle470 View Post
Of all the comments here, this is by far the ****tiest one made.

I know what makes Children, My wife and I are blessed to have a third child (twins was ruled out two days ago.) and we are looking forward to a fourth.

The only thing I'm grateful for is knowing that I will out breed you and your mentality and my offspring will inherit the earth.
believe you may have taken that wrong…i think it was a lighthearted joke and pretty sure that didn’t mean anything more then that…it’s what we do on the forum and i’ve heard that joke many times over the years and don’t think i ever saw a reaction like that.. good luck on your suburban hunt…George is a good guy and probably doesn’t have a mean bone in his body
Old 07-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #42
notanlines

Nick, I don't believe you've paid enough 'dues' to come on a forum you know nothing about and use a phrase like "knowing that I will out breed you and your mentality."
George certainly doesn't need me to go to bat for him on this forum,
but your snap response to a simple attempt at a little humor was out of line.
JMO YMMV
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 11:12 AM   #43
sourdough
Site Team

Being frank, you've painted yourself into a corner. With that many growing children some things are self evident; they are going to grow, both in needs and size/weight; that many folks require a very large vehicle just for them to fit; trying to tow a trailer of any size with that many people and a vehicle sized to fit them (and the gear/toys they will want) is almost impractical unless you want to shell out 3-400k minimum; an "it might/I'll make it work" approach is impractical and dangerous for you, your wife and kids and everyone else on the road; losing money on the trailer should be of little consequence compared to the welfare of the family.

Those things said, you still haven't spoken of any specific vehicle payload. I am assuming because these are all hypothetical. As has been mentioned you cannot go from any brochure, ad, salesman, you tube video etc. when trying to fit a tow vehicle to a trailer; the trailer, and in your case, the large load in the vehicle will dictate what vehicle that is. Smaller trailer = less requirements. Class A for that many folks? I don't know but the one I almost bought for DW and myself was north of 400k. 6 people with 4 being small kids I'd want at least a 70' bus with 10 slides. The one we looked at was I believe 42' and seemed kind of small for just us 2.

You've also not expounded on the need/requirement for 4 wheel drive? Why do you need it particularly? It takes away a considerable amount of payload if you don't need it and the Quigley conversion is pretty costly. Depending on what kind of "conversion" it can really affect towing/drivability.

You've got some choices to make. You have the kids (if not more) and you bought the trailer. Now it will be a tow vehicle that can pull that trailer and fit the family. Don't kid yourself thinking you're going to travel "light", no water, 1 bicycle so the kids can share kind of stuff to save weight - it ain't gonna happen. Get a big enough truck to grow with the family, take a chase vehicle or try that 70' RV I mentioned... And yes, George is a good guy.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:15 AM   #44
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle470 View Post
I planned to pull most of the seats. that would free up a hundred pounds or more I imagine.

I figured cooler, portable freezer, maybe kids bikes and the dog.

Essentially you're going to replace 100 lb of seating with well over 100 lb of ice chest and other gear. It might be a good idea to get yourself a crew cab pickup in the 350 or 3500 class. You can still put all your kids in child seats, and be a heck of a lot safer with the payload capacity.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:17 AM   #45
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
His oldest child is 3-1/2 years old... WAY too young to sit in the middle front seat of a truck.
You can put three child seats in the back. Possibly even four. As young as they are, it's going to be a while before they sit normally.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 03:24 PM   #46
wiredgeorge

Sorry if I offended you Eagle470. It was a light hearted comment as I thought it ironic that with 2 in the rear seat and (at the time) two in the future, you are asking about what tow vehicle would be appropriate. Since four kiddos won't fit in a car seat in the back unless you have a big bench seat and add another seat belt (I could do it in my clunker F350 I think as the back seat is huge), perhaps look to a chase vehicle with the missus and kids and you take tow vehicle. If we camp pretty local (usually do), my missus will take her car and a couple of our dogs so we can run around using her car.

By the way, my kids are older than you so I am done corrupting the gene pool; my grandaughter is coming over this evening and she is a nurse. All my kids and grandkids are smarter than me so they got their brains from their mother's side anyway. Lighten up and live in the sunshine. BTW: I am not a "nice guy"; I am a former bad guy who is too old to be bad anymore.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 03:27 PM   #47
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Nick, I don't believe you've paid enough 'dues' to come on a forum you know nothing about and use a phrase like "knowing that I will out breed you and your mentality."
George certainly doesn't need me to go to bat for him on this forum,
but your snap response to a simple attempt at a little humor was out of line.
JMO YMMV
Oh, leave the fella be. He has a kiddo on the way and probably worries as any poppa would and is under some stress. If he has two little ones now, think about your kids at that age and tell me you didn't get a bit on edge. My youngest is nearing 50... my oldest is 50 in August and youngest of 3 is only a couple years behind. I may be old but still get a kick out of messing with young fellas!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:55 PM   #48
Auto Parts Guy

The closest options I could recommend would be a 2000-2002 Ford Excursion 4x4 with the 7.3L or a 2001-2006 Suburban/Yukon 2500 4x4 with the 8.1L. I would regear either to 4.56 and upgrade all trans and engine cooling components and probably air bags in the rear to support the weight.

But I think like others have said, probably the smartest option is to downsize the camper, go to class A, or let the kids and wife ride in another vehicle. Post back what you end up deciding and best of luck!
Auto Parts Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:45 AM   #49
mjsibe

CHEVY 3500 express

I tow a 3100 Rk Passport GVW 7400 OR 7800
I Forgot.
Any way my TV is a 2014 3500 6.0 Express passenger van.
Payload (yellow door sticker) is 3342 lbs
Plenty of reserve compact.
Combined GVW is 16000 lbs
Max Trailer weight is 9700 lbs.
I have towed cross country with this never had any issues.
High winds can be a problem as with any thing this big.
Just drive it safely.
Max I will go is 65 MPH
Overall length is 55 ft .
Hope this helps you
Mike Sibre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220715_123141.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	40704   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220715_122909.jpg