Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2021, 10:50 PM   #1
John&Genny

New F350 Power Stroke

So the wife mentioned to me a few months ago that it was time to get a new truck. Who am I to argue with the DW? I've had Chevy cars/trucks in the past and have no complaints with my Duramax, it's been a dependable workhorse. This time however I'm considering getting a Ford F350 Super Duty with the 6.7L diesel engine, but just the single rear wheels. I don't think I'm ever going pull anything that will require a dually.

It will be the Lariat Crew Cab with the 6-3/4' box and will have the Lariat Ultimate package, and I'm considering getting the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System with the backup assist but do you think it's worth the extra $1700? If you have this in your Ford, do you find it useful in backing up the rig?

It will be ordered with the 5th-Wheel/Gooseneck Hitch Prep package and Gooseneck Hitch kit.

Are there any other options you think I should get with the rig that you wish you would have added when you bought your Super Duty?
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:58 PM   #2
RogerThat99

Get the integrated trailer brake controller, and I always liked having the larger alternator (or dual alternators).

If they offer some sort of additional transmission cooling (larger transmission cooler), I would get that also.

Regardless, you will.have a bad *** truck. I have had both GM and Ford 1 tons, and hauled a lot of weight in the bed of both. I always felt like the Fords performed better with the weight (I'm just talking suspension. The Duramax is a great engine.).
RogerThat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:03 PM   #3
John&Genny

Yep, the package comes with the brake controller and 240A Alternator. So should be good there However, I didn't see any mention of a larger transmission cooler in looking over the F350 options, so if one was needed, it would have to be after-market.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:37 AM   #4
RickV

" I don't think I'm ever going pull anything that will require a dually" Famous last words. Been there done that.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:41 AM   #5
slow

Check it out yourself, but I do not believe the backup assist works with a FW, only TT.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 02:43 AM   #6
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Check it out yourself, but I do not believe the backup assist works with a FW, only TT.
It does. There is a little box that attaches to the 5er Pin Box instead of the little decals that are used for a TT..

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 08-20-2021, 05:28 AM   #7
Jimmy240

Just be aware that a short box only comes with a 34 gallon tank. The long box comes with a 48 gallon tank.
Jimmy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:16 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
It does. There is a little box that attaches to the 5er Pin Box instead of the little decals that are used for a TT..
To put it in "advertising language"... the Ford Trailer Assist is "supposed to work with either a travel trailer or a fifth wheel, but in ACTUAL USE BY CUSTOMERS (not on a Ford test track) very few (if any) ACTUAL CUSTOMERS have been able to get it to work with a fifth wheel..... That "little box" is a "reflective sticker attached to the trailer nose" and since fifth wheel "under carriage nose" is sloped to reflect down, not up like a travel trailer, the truck camera system has issues "seeing the reflective sticker" and loses sight of a fifth wheel much more often than it loses a travel trailer....

That system has been "talked about and cussed about" more on Ford truck forums than any other system on the new Ford SuperDuty trucks.....

If you buy that option, buy it for "the other features" but don't get your hopes up about positioning the stickers on your trailer and being able to back up better.... AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:53 AM   #9
E Rod

I Have that system on my 2021 F350. It is a box ,not decal that you mount to your fifth wheel hitch. It has a cord with a plug that will plug into directly below the 7 pin cord. It works ok but haven't used it much to really practice with it. I still recommend you have a separate rear camera for the rv as the screen will display the sides of truck and rv.

2021 F350 Lariat Ultimate Pkg,FX4,CC,LB

2017 Alpine 3660FL
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:19 AM   #10
machz

I also have a 2021 and have the box as the stickers no longer work with Sync4. The box seems to work much better than the stickers as you never lose the connection but you have to purchase a box for each item you want to tow.

I use it on a TT but a friend of mine has it on his 5th wheels and it seems to work well.
machz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:39 AM   #11
RickV

I use it all the time. Works good.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 08-20-2021, 08:23 AM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
" I don't think I'm ever going pull anything that will require a dually" Famous last words. Been there done that.
^^^^^^^ This!
Look closely at the payload you will end up with on the new TV. I believe that a CC SB only has a max GVWR of 11,500#, with a loaded truck likely a payload less than 4,000# maybe less than 3,800#.
I am assuming that you are looking one ton to get within numbers, my personal experience is that with our 5er and a Ram 3500 SRW with a 4,200# payload I would be very close to max GVWR. This is why we went with a DRW.
You could go LB and get a GVWR of 12,400#, and payload of better than 4,000#, but I would do the math first.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #13
koda57

I have the Ford back-up camera on the trailer(bumper pull) and love it. Its a wired system that also has the TPMS circuit in the same harness. Has its own umbilical cord that plugs in just below the updated 7 way plug assembly. TPMS sensors are mounted inside the tire not exposed to the elements. I also have the Furion back up at top, which I use for the intercom. Ford's camera quality is better than the Furion.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:26 AM   #14
John&Genny

Thanks for the replies so far guys. In regards to the backup assist, after a bit of research it does look like they did away with the sticker calibration in 2021 and later models. The sensor box looks like a much easier system to use. I'll probably go ahead and get it mainly for the extensive camera system. I would like to add the external trailer camera, except I hate the thought that it's a wired camera instead of wireless like I have with my Furrion.

In regards to the dually, I don't see the wife and I getting a much bigger rig than we have now in the future. There is only the two of us, no kids or grandkids, so we don't need much bigger. If we do upgrade, it would probably be to a Alpine or Montana for the amenities, but not much bigger than our 320RS. But we will talk it over and see what our plans might be for the future.

As to the tank size, I was concerned with this as well but at least it's 34 gallons on the SRW. I think the Duramax originally had a 26 gallon tank which was too small when pulling a 5th wheel, so I replaced the OEM tank with a 50 gallon Titan tank. I see Titan now makes a 55 gallon replacement for the F350's so that will be a future upgrade as long as it doesn't void the factory warranty.

One question I have, does anyone have the OEM gooseneck hitch kit installed on their Super Duty, and if so, do you know if it's removable/reversible so that it can be flat on the bed when not in use?
Old 08-20-2021, 01:28 PM   #15
rhagfo

All of the big three 5th wheel preps kits leave the bed floor flat.
Old 08-20-2021, 04:03 PM   #16
Getn off

I just traded my 18 drw Lariat for a 21 drw Platinum.
Absolutely get the Ultimate Trailer Tow Package. Makes towing a dream. I actually use the “above” front view the most when cutting a close turn at my front bumper.
I would get the trailer cam/tpms if you dont already have a good system(s).
The 18 Lariat had the Ultimate pkg and I consider this a bare minimum. I can’t tell you how much nicer the Platinum is. The seats are way more comfortable and the messaging makes a world of difference on long hauls. Really does.
If up north, don’t forget the cabin rapid heat package, or whatever it’s called.
I know its a bunch of dollars, but get the LED lights. A million times better. Maybe a billion.
And lastly, upfitters are a must if you ever plan to add any lights,horn, compressor et al.
Depending on package and model, don’t forget the tailgate step. I laughed at this idea. Until I first tried to crawl into the bed of this 42’ tall beast! Seriously, it is a must.
It is a hell of a truck, but I’m sure all of the big 3 are.
I honestly would consider the drw for the reasons given. Also, I would get the 8’ bed to alleviate the need for a slider. I won’t lie, 23’ is a bitch to park!
Troy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AEEC312D-7783-455A-8017-1E0EC9485FA6.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	35348  
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:51 PM   #17
rhagfo

If you order one make sure you get the highest GVWR possible. Ford plays the numbers game with both the 3500 SRW and DRW.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:30 PM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Absolutely get the Ultimate Trailer Tow Package. Makes towing a dream. I actually use the “above” front view the most when cutting a close turn at my front bumper.
The 18 Lariat had the Ultimate pkg and I consider this a bare minimum. I can’t tell you how much nicer the Platinum is. The seats are way more comfortable and the messaging makes a world of difference on long hauls. Really does.
If up north, don’t forget the cabin rapid heat package, or whatever it’s called.
I know its a bunch of dollars, but get the LED lights. A million times better. Maybe a billion.
And lastly, upfitters are a must if you ever plan to add any lights,horn, compressor et al.
Depending on package and model, don’t forget the tailgate step. I laughed at this idea. Until I first tried to crawl into the bed of this 42’ tall beast! Seriously, it is a must.
I honestly would consider the drw for the reasons given. Also, I would get the 8’ bed to alleviate the need for a slider. I won’t lie, 23’ is a bitch to park!
Troy
That’s a really good idea with the front camera…I have the Ram version of the surround/overhead camera system and I forget to even look at it almost every time I am backing the fiver in..I had to swing the front end around close to a pole the other day and it didn’t even occur to me to look at the screen! I have a 12” screen on my dash with all of the camera angles and don’t even use it!
Old 08-21-2021, 01:48 AM   #19
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Troy
Thanks for your thoughts Getn! OK, the Ultimate Trailer tow package is definitely on the list. And as much as I would love the Platinum, I think the Lariat with it's associated Ultimate package is more than enough. And although we are close to the Canadian border, we are not that far north. So don't see much need for the rapid heater. I'll just use the remote start and let it warm up for 5 minutes or so

I do agree on the LED lights, not so much on the brightness, but more on the durability and reliability. If anyone has changed a headlight on a Duramax, they know what I'm talking about. They are a royal pain in the *** to change out. But the increased brightness will be a bonus.

I looked up the 2022 F350 towing guide for the SRW and it says the maximum loaded trailer weight the 6.7L diesel can pull is 19,000 pounds for a 5th wheel. So I went through and picked out 5 different RV's that if we were buying a new RV today, the most likely ones we would pick. None of them exceeded a GVWR of 17,000 pounds. So if I understand correctly, that gives me about a 2000 or more pound margin. Certainly if I was buying a Mobile Suites, then I would have to get the dually, and perhaps upgrade to a F450 or 550 as well As much as I would like the dually, they also have their drawbacks. More tires, changing out the tires, more expense, longer bed making parking harder at RV sites & anywhere you go, etc.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input so far. If you have more ideas, love to hear them BTW, I'll be ordering this truck from the dealer. I looked up the lead time for orders now and estimated delivery is 30-32 weeks. Can you believe that, 8 freaking months? So if I order now, I might be lucky to get it by next spring.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:58 AM   #20
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
Thanks for your thoughts Getn! OK, the Ultimate Trailer tow package is definitely on the list. And as much as I would love the Platinum, I think the Lariat with it's associated Ultimate package is more than enough. And although we are close to the Canadian border, we are not that far north. So don't see much need for the rapid heater. I'll just use the remote start and let it warm up for 5 minutes or so

I do agree on the LED lights, not so much on the brightness, but more on the durability and reliability. If anyone has changed a headlight on a Duramax, they know what I'm talking about. They are a royal pain in the *** to change out. But the increased brightness will be a bonus.

I looked up the 2022 F350 towing guide for the SRW and it says the maximum loaded trailer weight the 6.7L diesel can pull is 19,000 pounds for a 5th wheel. So I went through and picked out 5 different RV's that if we were buying a new RV today, the most likely ones we would pick. None of them exceeded a GVWR of 17,000 pounds. So if I understand correctly, that gives me about a 2000 or more pound margin. Certainly if I was buying a Mobile Suites, then I would have to get the dually, and perhaps upgrade to a F450 or 550 as well As much as I would like the dually, they also have their drawbacks. More tires, changing out the tires, more expense, longer bed making parking harder at RV sites & anywhere you go, etc.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input so far. If you have more ideas, love to hear them BTW, I'll be ordering this truck from the dealer. I looked up the lead time for orders now and estimated delivery is 30-32 weeks. Can you believe that, 8 freaking months? So if I order now, I might be lucky to get it by next spring.
There is a BIG difference between PULL and CARRY! If you look a little deeper you will find the GVWR and likely MAXIMUM payload of that SRW, and it likely won't be near the 3,740# at 22% pin weight a 17,000# 5er will place on the hitch of the TV.. If you look at Short Bed trucks with a 11,500# GVWR the total payload might be about 3,500#, BUT that isn't all for pin. It also includes the weight of Driver over 150#. You also have to subtract from it the weight of anything you carry in the truck, tools, extra fuel tank, hitch, etc. The Long Bed might have a GVWR of 12,400# and payload of 4,200#, you might find some similarity equipped trucks on a dealers lot and look at the payload sticker on the door pillar.

Tags
power