Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
jasin1

Overweight problems

This is what finally made me decide to upgrade trucks. I know it’s a video about hotshot truckers but the guy was 26060 lbs. 60 lbs over and the dot officer would not budge at all. He said overweight is overweight 6lb ,60lbs or 600lbs no exception. With my luck I would encounter that guy at a toll booth one day. I know my truck was capable but at the end of the day it’s the police officer on the side of the road that could ruin my trip.Probably never would have been an issue but the curse of knowing I was over my trucks gvwr was really bothering me. Ignorance is bliss and the knowledge I received here on this forum without action was a curse. It was keeping me awake at night trying to figure a way around basic facts. A boss I had years ago told me ,when I knew I was right that ,“you can’t fight city hall”
The officer gave the guy two options...lose the weight or wait for a cdl driver to come and drive the rig because it was over 26000.
I know it doesn’t apply to most of our situations but. It does show how any interaction with dot officers can go if they decide you are breaking regulations.
Believe me I had a Beautiful truck. Paid for and capable...But it just doesn’t matter
I should have bought a 1/2 ton edition cougar fifth And I would have been fine.It was my lack of understanding and education about towing that got me into this boat.

Couldn’t figure out how to attach video link

EdIT. YES I know this is a commercial endeavor. Lol read post #35
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4A6C5432-484F-48D9-848E-A74D8C0F8E35.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	31180  
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Next time you post the word OVERWEIGHT in a title be more specific... thought you meant me!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
jasin1

[QUOTE=wiredgeorge;426110]Next time you post the word OVERWEIGHT in a title be more specific... thought you meant me![/QUOTE:

I’m not the best at this online thing you guys do so well ..I should choose better titles....I’m a work in progress. Working towards a better version of myself with nightly updates
Old 12-18-2020, 02:58 PM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Next time you post the word OVERWEIGHT in a title be more specific... thought you meant me!
I’m not the best at this online thing you guys do so well ..I should choose better titles....I’m a work in progress. Working towards a better version of myself with nightly updates
Well you solved your overweight issue!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:59 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

If you want to post a YouTube video the easiest way is to bring up the vid on your computer, copy the web address in the browser, then past that in your reply.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #6
jasin1

[QUOTE=flybouy;426115]If you want to post a YouTube video the easiest way is to bring up the vid on your computer, copy the web address in the browser, then past that in your reply.[/
Old 12-18-2020, 03:07 PM   #7
gearhead

I had a production manager that could strike fear by looking at a team member and telling them he can't abide deliberate ignorance.
It worked on me. I never said "I don't know" in his presence. That took a lot of studying. LOL
So it worked.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I had a production manager that could strike fear by looking at a team member and telling them he can't abide deliberate ignorance.
It worked on me. I never said "I don't know" in his presence. That took a lot of studying. LOL
So it worked.
That is good. I’m going to use that when the occasion calls for it!
Old 12-18-2020, 04:13 PM   #9
jasin1

My wife will finally get close to me again lol it was a rough couple of weeks wrangling with this decision....I had more spreadsheets and calculations and drawings then nasa had to get to the moon....just trying to make a 3/4 ton work
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #10
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

I bet he'll weigh before going out next time. Unless he did & fueled up later.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:12 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

I know of two people here in Cal that had their trips ended by that scenario. Pismo beach is a popular recreation destination and CHP likes to weigh people. One pound over and you can have your rig impounded, pay storage fees until you bring a “capable” tow vehicle. I have seen the truck pull rigs over, so it can happen “on the road” not just the scales.

Also had a customer have his fiver taken when he couldn’t produce his “travel trailer” endorsement on his license.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
My wife will finally get close to me again lol it was a rough couple of weeks wrangling with this decision....I had more spreadsheets and calculations and drawings then nasa had to get to the moon....just trying to make a 3/4 ton work
That’s when you “go big or go home”! Reason I went to a 1ton DRW.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:01 AM   #13
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I know of two people here in Cal that had their trips ended by that scenario. Pismo beach is a popular recreation destination and CHP likes to weigh people. One pound over and you can have your rig impounded, pay storage fees until you bring a “capable” tow vehicle. I have seen the truck pull rigs over, so it can happen “on the road” not just the scales.

Also had a customer have his fiver taken when he couldn’t produce his “travel trailer” endorsement on his license.
Wow that’s the nightmare I was worried about
Old 12-19-2020, 03:57 PM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Wow that’s the nightmare I was worried about
Easy to prevent! AVOID traveling in California, it's too expensive anyway.
After traveling to Santa Clarita from Phoenix area & back a couple weeks ago, if I never go to California again it'll be too soon.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 05:57 PM   #15
Ken / Claudia

There are many vehicle or load problems that can get a comm truck shut down.
Here's 1 you may never have realized. All required lighting must be working when needed or your shut down on the shoulder til fixed. Ok read it again ALL REQUIRED DOT LIGHTING. I worked with a gal who took the full time truck inspection assignment. She became a level 1 truck inspector. Me, I was happy with the required level 2 title, nothing more.
Ok, now think about all those owner/operator trucks that add lights all over the truck and sometimes trailer.
She told me one morning she shut down a trucker who had some of those extra lights not working. Well she was about as bright as a burned out bulb, I let her know that she did something illegal. But you see I was only a level 2 and she blew me off. I had to report her to the Sgt.
I never knew what happened to that case. I write this mainly because there are 1,000s of comm truck laws not just weight laws.
And sometimes the cop could make a mistake. One reason we allowed 1,000 over on most weight cases before writing a ticket. 10 lbs over on a scale that is certified to be 200 lbs from perfect, will get the case tossed out of court and judges unhappy.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:58 AM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

So when CHP weighs a rig what do they use as the limits? Is it the axle weight ratings, the vehicle GVWR or both? Is the weights on the VIN or registration weights?
Old 12-20-2020, 07:13 AM   #17
Ken / Claudia

On a 2 two axle non comm. truck, front axle, rear axle, tires and gross TV wt and combo gross wt. can all be violations. Unknown how it's written up. Oregon each violation cited for adds another line on the ticket. Many pick 1 and warn on other violations. Examples: Exceeding listed GVWR 12,000 lbs. TO WIT: scale wt. 13,500.
You could also write 1 cite to cover all problems: Operation of unsafe vehicle TO WIT: Exceeded GVWR, CGVWR etc.

The numbers would come from the VIN sticker.

All those can be painful to the pocket book, but nothing compared to a civil case involving injury or death.

On a comm truck you use a tire size chart and axle groups (exceeding ratings) also look at what weight they are licensed for (exceeding registered wt.)

On the Chucktser example: I wonder if that is enforced at that level due to wrong licensing of driver or vehicle and or the road is limited to weight of all vehicles.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:06 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

To muddy the waters a little further on this, and remembering that these things will vary state to state, I had a visit with the DMV office and then a retired state trooper after buying the current truck.

Bought the truck in FL and went happily on my way. The dealer sent the paperwork to TX and the local DMV sent me the tags and paperwork. Just put the tags on and went about my business.

When we got home I pulled the registration paper work and it listed my gvwr as 8800lbs.!! I just about flipped. I called the local DMV and talked to the head lady about it. She told me they routinely place that gvw on a truck to save the buyer money. I asked the ramifications. She said that was all I could legally weight when traveling. I told her that was wrong and would not work; what did I need to do to raise it? She replied "tell me what you want, but it will cost more". I asked what the limit was and she told me whatever I told her - and here's where the fun begins.

My factory gvw is something like 11,500. I told her to register me for 12k and she did. Now, the way it was explained to me is that is what I "pay" for pulling that much weight around on state roads and the "damage/usage" I do to them. So, I can pay as much as I want (the increase I did doubled my registration fee) but need to keep in mind my established factory numbers that I have to abide by or I'm just wasting money.

Visited with the state trooper later and it went like this (from memory); yes, you have a "registered" gvw - what you pay the state to operate that vehicle and its load on the roads. Then you have all your legal weight limits established for that vehicle which have to be met. So when they stop you they have a little reader that scans the registration sticker in your window; it gives them all the registration info, insurance etc. The rest of the info is available to them or on the stickers on the truck.

As you can see from the above there are many, many ways to violate weight restrictions as Ken alluded to. It's up to each of us to know them and abide by them - if not, someone else will if you get caught "with your drawers down" and depending on the infraction it could be painful to downright devastating.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
So when CHP weighs a rig what do they use as the limits? Is it the axle weight ratings, the vehicle GVWR or both? Is the weights on the VIN or registration weights?
From my understanding they stick portable scale on the rear axle, and then use the fed tag. Endorsement is GVWR regulated. Mine is 10240 so I need the travel trailer endorsement by 240 pounds.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #20
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
On a 2 two axle non comm. truck, front axle, rear axle, tires and gross TV wt and combo gross wt. can all be violations. Unknown how it's written up. Oregon each violation cited for adds another line on the ticket. Many pick 1 and warn on other violations. Examples: Exceeding listed GVWR 12,000 lbs. TO WIT: scale wt. 13,500.
You could also write 1 cite to cover all problems: Operation of unsafe vehicle TO WIT: Exceeded GVWR, CGVWR etc.

The numbers would come from the VIN sticker.

All those can be painful to the pocket book, but nothing compared to a civil case involving injury or death.

On a comm truck you use a tire size chart and axle groups (exceeding ratings) also look at what weight they are licensed for (exceeding registered wt.)

On the Chucktser example: I wonder if that is enforced at that level due to wrong licensing of driver or vehicle and or the road is limited to weight of all vehicles.
Ken, glad I never crossed your path with the old 2001 Ram 2500! It didn’t look it but was 1,700# over GVWR.