Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
chunker

Aux tank install

I apologize if you see this on another forum but frankly I seem to see better discussions here.

I have an RDS auxiliary diesel fuel tank that has been in my 2017 Ram 3500 SRW and I pulled it out of it and plan to install it in the new 2020 Ram 3500 DRW. I talked to one of the local truck outfitters and they want $2-300, don't remember the exact figure, to install PLUS the cost of the fuel nozzle check valve which for them was over $100. Installing the tank is straight forward. I need the bed cushioning pads, new isolation bolts, the fuel nozzle manifold, and drill 3 holes in the bed.

My question involves installing the check valve manifold. I haven't got under the truck yet but the 2017 pipe between the filler and tank was a metal tube. Install involves cutting the tube, using the kit's 2 rubber hose sections and the manifold with the check valve. How do you cut the stock filler pipe without getting metal, or any other material, in the tank and filler neck? Metal shaving would wreak havoc for a fuel pump I imagine. I haven't looked at any of the kits installation instructions to see if there are suggestions or techniques.

I looked at RDS tank installation instruction and it just said cut filler tube.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
roadglide

If it’s like my Duramax I removed three bolts on the outside Loosen the hose clamp and the filler tube should come right out . I drilled a hole big enough for the siphon valve and brazed it in place on the 2013 Duramax. I removed the old filler tube off the 2013 and mounted right in place of the 2018 for my rib . I gutted the siphon valve for mechanical fill with pump and filter .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
If it’s like my Duramax I removed three bolts on the outside Loosen the hose clamp and the filler tube should come right out . I drilled a hole big enough for the siphon valve and brazed it in place on the 2013 Duramax. I removed the old filler tube off the 2013 and mounted right in place of the 2018 for my rib . I gutted the siphon valve for mechanical fill with pump and filter .
Thanks I haven’t looked at it yet and on the 17 I didn’t look at how the filler tube was attached to the fill port to the tank. I did have to secure the manifold to the filler tube because whoever put in on didn’t get the rubber hose sections secure on the metal fill tube and it leaked when I fueled. After I fixed it no problems. No not the same truck outfitter that gave an reinstall price.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Thanks I haven’t looked at it yet and on the 17 I didn’t look at how the filler tube was attached to the fill port to the tank. I did have to secure the manifold to the filler tube because whoever put in on didn’t get the rubber hose sections secure on the metal fill tube and it leaked when I fueled. After I fixed it no problems. No not the same truck outfitter that gave an reinstall price.
Call the folks at RDS they are good people and will help you get everything you need...
Old 10-20-2020, 06:09 PM   #5
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Call the folks at RDS they are good people and will help you get everything you need...
And they are close to my neck of the woods. Perry FL not all that far away.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
JJaxon

Like Javi said, I'd call RDS and tell them what you have, and they can tell you what you'll need.

As for cutting the tube and keeping the shavings out of the filler tube / tank / pump, I removed my filler tube from the truck, a hose clamp on the tank end and 3 torx screws at the fill door, a zip tie holding a vent line, and quick disconnects for the DEF lines, and the whole thing comes out as an assembly. I laid it on the tailgate, cut the last xx inches off that equaled the length of the TEE, deburred it, and put it all back in. Took about an hour. The DeeZee kit I used had 2 rubber splices (looks like radiator hose) and 4 clamps, if you cut in the middle section, you'll need those, but I cut at the end and only used 1 splice and clamp, plus the original clamp to the tank top fitting. The DeeZee kit is available on Amazon if RDS doesn't have the kit you need.
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:02 AM   #7
chunker

I talked to the truck outfitter how they install the manifold in the filler tube. When he said they remove it I had heard enough. They will cut some mat strips as cushioning pad, install the tank OTD for $193.66. My back and knees already thanking me and offered to take me out for a beer. In a couple weeks I'll take it in.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
I talked to the truck outfitter how they install the manifold in the filler tube. When he said they remove it I had heard enough. They will cut some mat strips as cushioning pad, install the tank OTD for $193.66. My back and knees already thanking me and offered to take me out for a beer. In a couple weeks I'll take it in.
My knees would agree, that price, even at twice that amount, would be "cheap enough to say yes with a smile...... Take your knees to the bar during happy hour and get "twice the price" there too

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #9
travelin texans

I'm curious!
These new Ram's apparently can be equipped with a 50 gallon factory tank?
How many miles per day do you drive to need an auxiliary tank also?
My GMC came with a 36 gallon tank which we could travel 8-10 hours daily on 3/4 of a tank which was plenty of windshield time for us both. Then once unhooked would go fill up after looking at "Gas Buddy" for the best price. Full-timed for 10 years & never thought about the need for the extra fuel onboard, the bigger stock tank would've been nice, but the bed of my truck was filled enough that I don't know where the extra tank would've went.
Trying to understand the need for 100+ gallons of fuel!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:35 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

If you have the extra payload capacity and you are going to use that much fuel in a reasonable time I can understand it. Let's say you're transitioning or staying in a state with high fuel prices, it would be very beneficial to not need to fuel up until getting back into a state with favorable prices.

Just because you have the fuel doesn't mean you have to use it before you stop the truck. I'd just caution anyone reading this that like anything there's a cost. There's the initial cost but the biggest cost is in payload reduction. From my observations more and more people are "drinking Kool Aid" from the ad agencies and are towing at or above max payload. Do the math before hitting the "buy it now button".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:54 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'm curious!
My GMC came with a 36 gallon tank which we could travel 8-10 hours daily on 3/4 of a tank which was plenty of windshield time for us both. Then once unhooked would go fill up after looking at "Gas Buddy" for the best price. Full-timed for 10 years & never thought about the need for the extra fuel onboard, the bigger stock tank would've been nice, but the bed of my truck was filled enough that I don't know where the extra tank would've went.
Eight hours at average 50 mph would be 400 miles 3/4 of 36 is 27 gallons.
400/27=14.81 mpg

I've towed a lot of miles too in my life and I've never averaged more than 10 mpg in any of the trucks I've owned.

So on those same 400 miles I'd have to fill up at least once if I were to have enough fuel to get the trailer parked and then into town and find a fuel station with my useable 34 gallons from my tank .

The roughly 100 gallons I now carry allows me to not need to worry about planning a fuel stop along the back roads of Texas.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:15 AM   #12
JJaxon

Yes, the Ram trucks have an optional 50 gallon tank. Standard is 34 I think, and that's what mine has. Not all 34 gallons are usable. If you've ever been caught in between somewhere and nowhere and you low fuel light comes on, you'll then realize why some want the additional fuel capacity. The up front cost is easily recovered after shopping wisely and never having to buy low grade - Illinois diesel.
That's my take on it, and it works well for me. This months travels have saved me $105 at the pump so far. Not all months are that high, depends on my travels. At 9-11 mpg, I dont risk running out, ever.
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
Old 10-23-2020, 12:43 PM   #13
nellie1289

Quote:
400/27=14.81 mpg

I've towed a lot of miles too in my life and I've never averaged more than 10 mpg in any of the trucks I've owned.

So on those same 400 miles I'd have to fill up at least once if I were to have enough fuel to get the trailer parked and then into town and find a fuel station with my useable 34 gallons from my tank .

The roughly 100 gallons I now carry allows me to not need to worry about planning a fuel stop along the back roads of Texas.
I'm thinking about an auxillary tank as i'm going up in size for a heavier fifth wheel. at best I was going about 300 miles on a tank before the Oh i better find a gas station meter goes off. I swear half the stations i cant get in easily, or its a major PITA. I just want more fuel to be honest. Around here there are not a ton of great stations and the truck stops are fine but my wife doesn't love them. If I make her get out and get a road soda they truckers seem to take a keen eye to her, haha.

If anyone has some suggestions, before i paruse these forums, i am all ears. Thinking i want flush to the bed rails, a tool box on top, and about 40 gallons.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:43 PM   #14
Roscommon48

i wonder who is getting 14+ miles a gallon when pulling a heavy trailer. Always been 8-10mpg for us.

my ford is a short box and only has 26 gallon tank, so I went with an after market fuel tank I went with a 60 gallon titan under the truck. keeps my short bed opened.

did this also on my chevy in the past.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:22 PM   #15
JJaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
I'm thinking about an auxillary tank as i'm going up in size for a heavier fifth wheel. at best I was going about 300 miles on a tank before the Oh i better find a gas station meter goes off. I swear half the stations i cant get in easily, or its a major PITA. I just want more fuel to be honest. Around here there are not a ton of great stations and the truck stops are fine but my wife doesn't love them. If I make her get out and get a road soda they truckers seem to take a keen eye to her, haha.

If anyone has some suggestions, before i paruse these forums, i am all ears. Thinking i want flush to the bed rails, a tool box on top, and about 40 gallons.
The 60 gallon with tool box on top that I installed is under the bed rail. My roll up tonneau cover works perfect over it when not towing my 5th wheel. Gravity fed to main tank. It really only holds about 54 gallons, unless you fill it to the brim, but that's a mistake I learned once.

On Amazon, RDS model number 71787.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #16
Javi

I really didn't need nor wanted a toolbox opting instead for a smaller footprint on the tank with resulting increase in capacity. After much soul searching I went with the wedge tank from RDS 63 gallon and right at 60 actual..

Left me with plenty of room for firewood or the portable waste tank...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank 1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	30472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank 2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	30473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank 3.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	30474  
Old 10-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #17
chunker

I have the RDS 51g with toolbox on top. It's flush with bed rail. The tool box is just for a few things, rags, jumper cables, etc. The advantage for me with the 51 vs 60, there is a space between the side of the tank and side of the truck bed where I store a plastic folding step stool. I use it when filling the aux tank. For those who wonder why someone would have for want a 1000 mile range, the answer is given by several other repliers. I also want to pick and choose where I stop for fuel and like the flexibility to bypass higher tax locations. I may not need to fuel for 2 or 3 days.

And yes the stated gallons for them is total maxed out running out the vent. I figure about 46 for my 51 tank but I don't fill it into the neck. Yep did that once and that was enough. Dawn will cut the dirty dried diesel residue nicely for those that need to do that.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:02 PM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
400/27=14.81 mpg

Those numbers weren't actual mileages just the the way we travel.
Just as with all the big 3 diesels typically 8.5-11.5 mpg towing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:56 AM   #19
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'm curious!
Danny, When traveling cross country, having only “1 day’s fuel” would drive me nuts! Our DRW has a 48 stock tank and I added a 90 auxiliary! Haven’t regretted it yet. We buy fuel when/where we want - not because we are about to run out. Just like extra payload, Freedom from watching the fuel gauge is priceless! JMHO
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #20
E Rod

I have a 60 gal RDS gravity feed tank that I've removed and installed on 6 trucks. it's not difficult just a little time consuming . The install was easy on my 2011 - 2016 f350's than on my 2018 and 2019 F350 but not all that hard. You can purchase heavy duty hose clamps at NAPA . Also if the truck is a 4x4 helps since it will stand higher than a 2wd.
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank