Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2020, 04:20 AM   #1
MarkEHansen

Any issues with a 2015 Ram 2500 Diesel

My brother is about to replace his current truck with a 2015 Ram 2500 Diesel, and I have a couple questions.

First, was there a choice of automatic transmission that year when pairing with the diesel engine? If so, is there any reason to stay away from any of them?

Did the 2015 year diesel still use DEF? I like DEF due to what it does for the exhaust.

I've run the payload (and other numbers) with him and his current trailer will be fine so I think it's a good choice otherwise.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:29 AM   #2
tech740

Looks like you could get a 68rfe and an Aisin. It would be the HIgh Output if it is an Aisin truck personally I dont like the 68RFE. I blew the one in my 2010. It is definitely not as stout as the Aisin. DEF started in 2013 so if it isn’t deleted it should have DEF. Easy way to tell which transmission it has is what side the dipstick is on. Drivers side is Aisin, passenger side is 68RFE.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:32 AM   #3
MarkEHansen

Is being deleted something a dealership would have to disclose? Otherwise, how can he tell by looking at it?
Old 07-28-2020, 05:04 AM   #4
ronheater70

Only 1 transmission option

To get the Aisin I believe you had to get the High output motor, which was only available in the 3500 so with the 2500 the only transmission option is the 68rfe, which is a pretty fair transmission but wont hold up well if you start adding power to it.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:15 AM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
To get the Aisin I believe you had to get the High output motor, which was only available in the 3500 so with the 2500 the only transmission option is the 68rfe, which is a pretty fair transmission but wont hold up well if you start adding power to it.
Correct, the 2500 only came with the 68RFE and a 3.42 rear end.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Is being deleted something a dealership would have to disclose? Otherwise, how can he tell by looking at it?
Being your in California I'd check very closely to it being deleted. As anal as CA is about the environment Id guess a deleted diesel would be a huge NO NO!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:19 AM   #7
MarkEHansen

Thanks, but my brother is buying the truck and he's in Utah
Old 07-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Thanks, but my brother is buying the truck and he's in Utah
Regardless of the state, some have emissions testing of ALL vehicles, some only gas powered & some have none, so I'd check in Utah, a deleted diesel probably wouldn't pass. In some states a dealer cannot legally sell a vehicle with an altered emissions system.
IMHO whether it would/could/needs to pass an emissions test I'm not sure I'd want a used truck that had been deleted by the previous owner.
The questions being;
Was it deleted due to issues with emissions system?
Was it deleted by a young'un so they could "roll coal" at every stop light?
Has the extra power already harmed the transmission?
Is there possibly warranty that could be voided by the delete?
Not saying you couldn't have issues with a stock used truck, but the delete for me brings up too many more questions.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #9
MarkEHansen

To clarify - I don't want a deleted truck and I'm confident my brother doesn't want one either. My question was whether there's a way we can tell by looking at the truck if this has been done.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:45 PM   #10
Canonman

If the truck has been deleted it will not pass the UT emissions unless it's being sold and registered as a "farm vehicle", https://dmv.utah.gov/plates/farm.
If buying from a private party you can usually tell if it's been deleted because of the cold air intake (not stock) being the most obvious. I know of a good shop in SLC that will do a pre-sale inspection and verify any issues. PM me if you'd like their contact info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL3753.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	28889  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:44 PM   #11
MarkEHansen

Gotcha. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #12
Jethro 8410

Crawl under the truck on the passenger side and look up. There should be a canister about the size of a five gallon bucket or larger ahead of the muffler. Also, if it sounds louder than normal it's deleted. A cold air intake is not required to delete but a programmer is to get to check engine light off
Jethro 8410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #13
Frank G

Head on over to the Turbo Diesel Register and start reading.

https://www.turbodieselregister.com/

Ask the question about the 68RFE, there are many transporters with 3, 4 and 500K on the clock with the 68RFE and still running strong.

Anything over 800 lb.ft. of torque and Ram switches to the Aisin transmission and the Aisin is not available in the 2500. This does not make the 68RFE inferior or bad it just takes it beyond it's design specifications. Unlike the Aisin the 68RFE is programable and can be reprogramed. It also changes the shift points and other parameters based on load and driving conditions. It is also more economical to maintain. (fewer fluid and filter changes.)

It can be difficult to spot a properly deleted vehicle without some first hand knowledge. On my stock "16" with 70K, the inside of the tail pipe is as clean as it's born on date, no soot no odor.

Like any used vehicle, Maintenance records tell all.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:01 PM   #14
tech740

As stated most deleted trucks have straight pipe from the turbo back. When I did mine I left the muffler. I wasn’t looking for noise I wanted the less regens.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:50 AM   #15
rs1718

I have a 2015 3500. 80k and no issues except replaced the batteries last summer. The only transmission options for the 2500 is the 68rfe auto or the g56 6 speed manual.. the aisin is only available on a 3500 HO.. The 68rfe is a good transmission as long as you don’t drive it like it’s a race car. I know several people that have over 200k on them. Just service them every 30k.
rs1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #16
Ken / Claudia

Look up Utah law. Oregon says any licensed dealer selling a vehicle with removed emissions and some other required vehicle stuff. Commits a crime, that can have DMV revoke their dealer license. Small infractions gets them probation, a warning letter. Repeat offenders loose their ability to own a dealership/sell vehicles in Oregon and most pay civil fines.
I would never say all dealers follow the law just as many people choose to violate laws. But a little more is at stake for the dealership when not following the laws.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #17
jaredjohn4

I've had 2 problems with my 2015. I started out using BlueDef from box stores. It went through two cat converters until I switched to Mopar Def. Not a problem since. The other I think is a design flaw. I had the box removed for a fender bender. Across the back of the cab was a 1 inch by 4 foot rust strip. The box has a rubber flap that rubs against the cab. While the box was off, I had them sand, repaint and then apply the clear rock guard they many times put on the lower rocker panels. Never would have seen the rust unless the box was removed.
jaredjohn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:17 PM   #18
Stickman

Been awhile since I've posted, and I have no dog in this hunt due to not wanting nor needing a diesel. With that said I have to weigh in on the "delete" issue.
Regardless of what state you are in, if you delete the OEM emissions system from ANY vehicle regardless of year of manufacture, you are breaking FEDERAL law, period. No licensed dealer can LEGALLY sell a new or used vehicle with a modified emissions system that had those components put in place by the OEM,without being subjected to heavy fines and possible loss of license.
I shouldn't need to mention that ALL delete kits and tuners state somewhere in their documentation that these products are for "OFF ROAD USE ONLY".
I am by FAR no fan of big, intrusive government, but I also know this country by itself has spent decades cleaning the environment and improving air quality. I've been a heavy truck and trailer mechanic for more than forty years, and would prefer to NOT go back to the days of firing up a rig in closed building, and five minutes later not being able to see the roof twenty feet overhead. Now I can force regen a DD15 in a closed shop and the worst of it is it might get too warm in the building.
Even if you're not tweaking it with a tuner to the point of rolling coal, and have just done a "simple" delete of the DPF, etc. where do you think all that particulate matter and the associated nastiness that would normally be turned to relatively harmless ash by the regen is going? Does no one remember the era when the air above major metro areas like LA resembled something from a nightmare. Is that really what people would like to go back to in search of a few more mpg, more ponies(needless I might add, with current diesel power plants), or avoiding the OMG inconvenience of a regen.
As any big rig owner knows, the cost of maintaining and repairing a vehicle to the specs and standards it was built to can be expensive and aggravating, especially when they now have to pay to have their DPF and DOC removed and cooked out due to not keeping up with regen. They also realize that's the cost of admission to the game, and the same applies to private vehicles. If you choose to take your modern, quiet, powerful, technology driven diesel that has helped improve the environment for EVERYONE and turn it into an obnoxious, stinking, spewing dinosaur, that's up to you I guess. I don't care if your reasoning is a few measly mpg, wrongly perceived durability or it just makes you feel more "endowed", I have no time for you and the Feds are welcome to bang on your door.
Rant over.
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #19
Skillet92

I have a 2015 Cummins with 62k. Towed a TT for 3 years and a new 40ft 5th for the last 6 months. So far not a single issue. Pulls the 5th very nicely. Mine is not deleted yet and as long as the DEF system does not screw up, it's a 2500+ fix it will not be. There are some horror stories out there of those systems going bad. The 68rfe is not a bad transmission you just have to understand it's limits. I am pulling just north of 14k and going up in the mountains it does feel like it's hunting at times. The automatic exhaust brake is a great feature. So far towing this summer has not been an issue with the heat. I am in SC. He will like the truck.
Skillet92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:00 PM   #20
Harried Harry

I have an 08 Dodge 2500 QC with the Cummins 6.7 L. Great engine and no problems once the OEM fixed the emissions control stuff. I also have the 68rfe tranny and I've never had any issues. I use a truck camper mostly (3200#) but also tow my 03 Cougar 276 fifth wheel. It handles both very well. I don't drive over 75 mph if towing or hauling but I might get up to 80 if just driving the truck. Lots of power and the 4x4 is very good. Maintenance is a must, but easy to do except for the oil changes which can be messy if you aren't careful. Good luck with you purchase.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote