Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #1
JScott0801

Tuners for a 2013 Duramax LML

Hey everyone so I recently bought a 2013 GMC Sierra 2500hd LML duramax..so I found out a few things meaning the truck had already had the def deleted and it has a S&B intake on it...is there any tuners I can use with the truck already deleted..? Any help would be appreciated very much
JScott0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:52 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Sent you a PM...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
Jfreek65

Tuners for a 2013 Duramax LML

You can check out Duramaxforum for some great tips on your LML, but most will suggest custom tunes from a reputable company on an edge tuner.
XtremeDieselPerformance does some good work:

https://www.xtremediesel.com/edge-pr...r-touch-screen

https://www.xtremediesel.com/gm-2001...-custom-tuning
1965 International Scout 80
Jfreek65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #4
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

If it has some emissions taken off it has to have some kind of a tune or it wouldn't be going down the road.

Their are no emission delete tuners in the US unless they are undercover.
If you're in Canada I think you have options.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:19 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
If it has some emissions taken off it has to have some kind of a tune or it wouldn't be going down the road.

Their are no emission delete tuners in the US unless they are undercover.
If you're in Canada I think you have options.
I was kind of surprised to see quite a few tuners for the Duramax LML on eBay that purported to be DPF, DEF and EGR delete capable. In the Ford tuner world most of the companies that used to be go-to (like SCT) have removed the delete capability and as noted, the delete must be dealt with via custom tunes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GMC-D...ox!78056!US!-1
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:39 AM   #6
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

I have to wonder how trustworthy a Ebay tuner is?
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:12 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I was kind of surprised to see quite a few tuners for the Duramax LML on eBay that purported to be DPF, DEF and EGR delete capable. In the Ford tuner world most of the companies that used to be go-to (like SCT) have removed the delete capability and as noted, the delete must be dealt with via custom tunes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GMC-D...ox!78056!US!-1
The "last line disclaimer" on that eBay tuner says: "Off Road Organized sanctioned Race Use only"...

I'd guess this was a "private sale truck" since no dealerships around this area will sell a truck with "emissions deleted". I can't say "it's illegal to sell" but I will say that in every state I've checked, "it's illegal to operate on public roads". That tuner states: For Off Road Organized sanctioned Race Use only...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
travelin texans

Had '13 GMC Duramax that was bone stock that I traded off with 138k on the odometer that towed a 16.5k 5th for nearly half of those miles averaging 11mpg towing 17mpg empty with more than enough power everywhere we traveled.
With cost of the delete + the tune not sure I'd of ever broke even in that 138k miles with the 1-2 mpg savings or the savings of +/-$12 worth of DEF every 3500 miles & surely didn't need more power.
I've out grown the need for speed & "rolling coal" looked like a waste of diesel fuel, but that's just me!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #9
jsb5717

I'm sure the laws change, or are enforced differently, from state to state. I've seen trucks advertised on lots in Oregon that are stated as deleted.

I know the MiniMaxx Tuner has a delete setting. That's what came in my RAM that was deleted when I bought it.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:40 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I may be "off track" with my observations, but having lived through the "seat belt phase in" (complete with automatic seat belts, interlocking seat belt/ignition systems, buzzers, bells and whistles), the "5MPH front bumper phase in", the "unleaded fuel phase in", the "compact cars becoming large car phase in" and now the "diesel/DEF phase in" I can say that in every one of those "transition periods" many people were "reluctant to accept the alternatives" and a few were "positively not going to agree"...

From those "phase in's" came "seat belt bypass systems", "catalytic converter delete kits", "front bumper delete kits" and now "diesel/DEF delete kits".
Some were sold under the guise of "return to the old, proven method", some as an "improvement for new problems", some as "we'll get even with those mandates and prove we don't need them" and some as "just because I can" improvements....

In the end, pretty much every one of those "work around to keep the old way viable" attempts has "failed and most people are now using seat belts/buckling up, driving smaller cars, no longer notice the front bumper and using DEF without "hyperventilating with every container added to the truck"....

I'm suspecting there will always be some who "want to live on the performance edge" but for most people, just trying to find parts to keep repairing the "deleted/work around systems" has proven more costly and a bigger hassle than it's worth for most of us.....

Diesel delete kits and tuners will likely become the "catalytic converter delete kits of the 1970's. When was the last time you saw a JC Whitney catalog with the "proverbial catalytic delete tube for $29.99 plus shipping??? ... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-30-2020, 10:55 AM   #11
jsb5717

John, I'm sure you're right. There are lawmakers in Oregon currently trying to make regulations for diesel trucks much tighter than they currently are. I won't be surprised when they eventually succeed. As it stands, diesel trucks >=8500 lbs GVW are exempt from DEQ testing. So deleting all of the emissions overhead to improve horsepower, mileage, and longevity is pretty common.

I don't know if it's true or not, but have read and been told that the EGR systems can reduce the life of diesel motors, from ~500,000 miles to under 200,000 miles, while improving emissions. I know that my EGR is still intact, although I do have the delete kit for it and my MiniMaxx tuner (from the original OP question) has a setting for that. All of the catalytic stuff on mine has been removed by the previous owner. I do have it all if I ever have to have it reinstalled.

Seems to be a moving target and I can't imagine that DEQ requirements will get less but only tighter.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:03 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

I know deleting emissions systems is a "touchy subject". Some are "hard over against it" and some are "hard over protecting the right to do it". We were in Palmdale/Lancaster last year, a return trip to where we lived in the early 70's. Back then (the 70's) every morning we'd watch the smog cloud rise over the southern mountains as the LA traffic snarled to a halt. This past summer, the sky was clear, no smog and all the traffic reports indicated the traffic was as bad or worse than ever... So, all that "smog crap" must be doing something to help the cloud that used to be there and isn't any longer.....

We didn't have the time to go into LA and I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a missed opportunity, but that's another story.

I suppose, as the earth population grows, so does the need to restrict what we do to "dirty the air we breathe"... Like you, I can't imagine the regulations will ever become less restrictive. I'd guess "tomorrow's vehicles" will be even "cleaner than today's vehicles".

As for "exemptions for diesel engines" even the newer diesel tractors are using DEF and require ULS diesel fuel. They are never on the public roads.... I heard a rumor that the new lawn mowers, 3.5HP or greater will have more restrictive emissions and noise standards.... Try finding a 2 cycle outboard on the "new, still crated warehouse".... The world, she is a changin'

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-09-2020, 07:16 AM   #13
TYHLR

I didn't read through all of the posts here.

As a DM owner and a member of the DM Forum.......

Suffice it to say that Duramax tuners have all basically been put out of business by USG.

Good luck in finding a "reputable" tuner at this stage of the game.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:31 AM   #14
boagey

I have found good info a Banks Power.
boagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:53 AM   #15
firestation12

Gail Banks currently has a system for tuning the duramax engines. Mr. Banks has more accumulated knowledge of turbos in his toenail than the rest of the diesel tuner industry combined. If you really want to see a legitimate comparison of diesel tuners, take the time to watch the dozens of videos he has made, especially the latest series "Killing the Duramax part XXX". https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/27/...os-gale-banks/.

Mr. Banks now in his 80's is still at the top of his game and has been involved with many manufacturers in developing turbo charged engines. His research facility complete with dyno, is state of the art. While I currently have a 2017 F-250 diesel, I would look at Banks products exclusively for any Duramax products. Banks Engineering has also developed a differential cover superior to all other competitors.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #16
McRod

I own a 2014 Ram 3500 that is deleted. For none of the hyperbolic reasons stated above. I consider myself a responsible steward of the environment. I have been through all the automotive changes since the 70s and driving today is not any safer than it was back then.

I had a need for dependability. After spending $50,000+ on a vehicle most would expect a certain level of dependability. That's not unreasonable. At around 17,000 miles I began experiencing emmissions fault codes that would render the vehicle undrivable or unsafe to drive while pulling a 18k lb trailer on the highway. The problems continued after allowing over a dozen dealerships around the country AND Canada to diagnose and repair the problem over a 40,000 mile period (about a year and a half in time period). My solution was to turn to the aftermarket for resolution. A simple delete and retune to factory specs fixed my problem at ~62k miles.

Today I have over 130k miles on that same truck and rely on it for my livelihood. I don't "roll coal". I don't care how fast it goes and I don't care if it was "outlawed". I have a need and expectations that were not met by the manufacturer even after giving them ample time to repair. I'll be damned if I don't feel guilty for being an "outlaw". Put the blame on the manufacturers that continue to crank out inferior products at exorbitant prices and then lean into your tax pocket for an additional handout when the markets tank!

Those of you who think you can pass judgement are ignorant of the facts that play into a person's decisions. That's who should be shamed.

To the OP, there are plenty of reputable tuners out there. You just have to look a little harder. Your search through vehicle specific performance forums is a good start.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:39 AM   #17
Rndlrsn

DEF repairs painfull

I agree with the previous post 100%. I have for a 2014 Duramax with 67000 km’s that was deleted for very good reasons. I couldn’t rely on it and I didn’t want the down time when travelling. It had extra warranty that ran out of time last July. By then it had been at a dealership for DEF related warranty 4 times in 2 years. DEF injectors twice, and O2 sensor problems. On the last O2 sensor it was going to cost me $300 for parts to replace the sensor. I went the practical route and deleted the problem . I didn’t mind putting DEF in and I don’t know if the power or milage is better. I just know I couldn’t afford $135 / hour on an ongoing basis.
The Bully Dog tuner was easy to use and 0 problems for almost a year. That beats
DEF issues and limping down the road any day of the week. I have to admit though that I do miss the quieter exhaust. Some like noise and some don’t.
Rndlrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

I don't think anyone can argue the benefits of clean air and if you want a real, recent comparison just look back to the Olympics that were held in China. The government there banned all auto travel and the air still wasn't breathable.

Now the issue, at least as I see it and being a Ford 6.4 diesel owner. and that the absolut abhorrent way the manufacturers adhered to the emissions standards and the absolute ridiculous, poorly written emission standards. On my truck Ford "solved" the emission issue with the "regeneration cycle" The purpose of this is to "clean" the particulate filter by dumping raw fuel into #8 cylinder and having it ignite in the particulate filter to incinerate the particles accumulated there. The issue with this are varied. First off, when it goes into a regen cycle it smokes like a steam locomotive, second the fuel mileage goes to about 1/2 of "normal" driving. If you just stop and turn it off the regen cycle starts again and takes much longer to complete. If you drive it hard during the regen you risk damaging the piston in cycl #8.

What do most do? get an old tuner (before the ban) so they can delete the particulate filter and the regen cycles. The engine will "breath" better, get better mileage, and last a lot longer. This type of "emissions" harkins back to the late 1960's thru the 1970's. American car manufacturers were "bastardizing" the engines by first adding "smog pumps", then catalytic converters, then "detuning" the engines to a point of having a big block producing the horse power of previous small block almost 1/2 the cubic inch capacity of 2 decades earlier. It to the auto industry several decades to engineer the tech (mostly computers) to allow the emissions to be met in a way that retained HP and reliability.

In my opinion "just because it's aftermarket" doesn't necessarily mean "it's not as good as the original factory". The aftermarket industry has been solving these type issues for years. JMHO, YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:20 AM   #19
skmct

I cant refer to a 2014 but I suggest the duramax board on the diesel place they are broken down in engine groups. I have a pre def 2007 lbs that had some early egr and cat issues which have been resolved with tuning.I know this if your check engine light is still functioning and not lit your
Factory tune has been replaced or modified. I use a duramax spade tuner which has a turbo break and 2 great towing tubes. They where very helpful when I called them .this was about 4 years ago and the government has gotten tougher on the tuner companies the almost put ppe out of business . But I am sure you can overcome all the issues. You may have to buy more expensive software and actually right over parts of your current tune. But as I said your current tune must have been altered or check engine light would be on or the bulb was removed. Check out the deisel place and duramax tuner. Com
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #20
JScott0801

Just wanna thank everyone for all the help means a lot but i know for sure that the trucks deleted I only have a few possible tuners I could go with one being the H&S (no longer in business) or the efilive they are definitely the only options but with that said I’ve read everyone’s comments and see different perspectives and that helps a lot
JScott0801 is offline   Reply With Quote