Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2023, 02:01 PM   #1
BobanneRVtravels

Best boondocking battery

Is an AGM battery best for boondocking?
BobanneRVtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 02:15 PM   #2
jasin1

Attachment 43351
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobanneRVtravels View Post
someone will chime in
welcome to the forum
Old 03-25-2023, 02:57 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Battery choice depends on how often you dry-camp, whether or not you have solar or a generator, and what items you are looking to power and for how long.

I have two group 27 FLA (flooded lead-acid) batteries, no solar, gas/electric refrigerator and my lights are all LED. I have a generator if needed, but I can dry camp 3-4 days without pushing the batteries past the breaking point.

If you are a serious dry-camper, I would go with 2 lithium 100ah batteries. Lithium batteries are lighter, more efficient and can be discharged to nothing without harm. The downside is cost. The middle of the road option is a set of 6v golf cart batteries. AGM batteries are somewhere between FLA and golf cart batteries. You can get a 100% DoD (depth of discharge) on Lithium, 80% DoD on AGM and 50% DoD on FLA.

Again, it all depends on your specific situation and needs. We don’t dry-camp very often (maybe 1-2 weekends per year), so FLA batteries are more than sufficient for our needs.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 03:30 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobanneRVtravels View Post
More information would help the recommendations make sense.

What is your budget?
What are your desires? Boondock for a 2 day week end, 2 weeks, or ???
What do you intend to power during this time?
Do you have any means to recharge the battery(s)? Generator? Solar panels?
What trailer do you have? How much room do you have for multiple batteries?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:15 AM   #5
Dacheedah

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Battery choice depends on how often you dry-camp, whether or not you have solar or a generator, and what items you are looking to power and for how long.

I have two group 27 FLA (flooded lead-acid) batteries, no solar, gas/electric refrigerator and my lights are all LED. I have a generator if needed, but I can dry camp 3-4 days without pushing the batteries past the breaking point.

If you are a serious dry-camper, I would go with 2 lithium 100ah batteries. Lithium batteries are lighter, more efficient and can be discharged to nothing without harm. The downside is cost. The middle of the road option is a set of 6v golf cart batteries. AGM batteries are somewhere between FLA and golf cart batteries. You can get a 100% DoD (depth of discharge) on Lithium, 80% DoD on AGM and 50% DoD on FLA.

Again, it all depends on your specific situation and needs. We don’t dry-camp very often (maybe 1-2 weekends per year), so FLA batteries are more than sufficient for our needs.
2nd that and also a Lithium will take a Lithium specific charger to power it back up. The charger for my boat batteries has settings for FLAS, AGM and Lithium and all the batteries on that must be the same. Many people who have battery issues just need to set the charge profile.

Army, 7th ID 7th MP Co
Retired LEO
9-1-1 Director
Dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, boondocking